Today, I’m excited to share with you my recipe for Spiced Skewered Chicken, also known as Chicken Sosaties. This recipe is a South African classic that has been passed down for generations. I have added my own twist to it, and let me tell you, it’s a hit with my family and friends!
I love this recipe because it’s easy to make, full of flavor, and perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re having a backyard barbecue, a family dinner, or just want to indulge in some delicious spicy chicken, this recipe has got you covered.
This recipe is not only delicious, but it’s also versatile. You can make it with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or even mix it up and use a combination of both. You can also switch up the spices and marinade to create your own unique flavor profile.
So, grab your skewers and let’s get started! This Spiced Skewered Chicken recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser and a new family favorite.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you tired of the same old boring chicken dishes? Look no further than this Spiced Skewered Chicken recipe, also known as Chicken Sosaties. This South African dish packs a punch of flavor that will leave your taste buds begging for more.
The combination of fresh lemon juice, Madras curry powder, and light brown sugar creates a sweet and spicy marinade that perfectly coats the chicken. The addition of garlic cloves and onions adds depth and complexity to the dish.
Not only is the flavor profile on point, but the presentation is also stunning. The skewered chicken creates a beautiful display on any plate or platter, making it the perfect dish to impress your guests at your next gathering.
This recipe is also incredibly versatile. It can be made with boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, and can be served as a main dish or an appetizer. Plus, the marinade can be adjusted to your liking – if you prefer a spicier dish, simply add more chili powder or cayenne pepper.
Overall, this Spiced Skewered Chicken recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Its unique flavor profile and visually stunning presentation make it a must-try dish for any occasion. So what are you waiting for? Give it a try and let your taste buds do the talking!
Before we start with the recipe, let’s take a look at the ingredients you’ll need to make this delicious spiced skewered chicken.
Chicken Sosaties Recipe Ingredients:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts: 1 1/2 – 2 pounds, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- Onions: 2 medium, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- Garlic cloves: 2, minced
- Madras curry powder: 2 tablespoons
- Light brown sugar: 1 tablespoon
- Fresh lemon juice: 2 tablespoons
- Olive oil: 1/4 cup
- Salt: 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Ground black pepper: 1/2 teaspoon
You can find Madras curry powder at most grocery stores or online. If you can’t find it, you can use any curry powder you have. However, Madras curry powder gives this recipe a unique and flavorful taste.
Spicy Yogurt Sauce Ingredients:
- Plain Greek yogurt: 1 cup
- Garlic cloves: 2, minced
- Fresh lemon juice: 2 tablespoons
- Madras curry powder: 1 teaspoon
- Honey: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: 1/4 teaspoon
- Ground black pepper: 1/4 teaspoon
The spicy yogurt sauce is optional but highly recommended. It complements the spiced chicken perfectly and adds a cool and creamy element to the dish.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have all the ingredients ready, it’s time to get cooking! Follow these simple steps to make the perfect Spiced Skewered Chicken (Chicken Sosaties).
Step 1: Marinate the chicken
Cut the boneless skinless chicken breasts into 1 1/2 inch cubes and place them in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice, 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of light brown sugar, 2 garlic cloves (minced), 1 teaspoon of Madras curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Pour the marinade over the chicken and toss to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or overnight for best results.
Step 2: Prepare the skewers
While the chicken is marinating, soak 8-10 wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent them from burning on the grill. Once the skewers are ready, thread the chicken onto them, alternating with sliced onions and red peppers.
Step 3: Grill the skewers
Preheat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Once hot, grill the skewers for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and slightly charred. Brush the chicken with the remaining marinade a few times during cooking.
Step 4: Serve and enjoy!
Once the skewers are cooked, remove them from the grill and transfer to a serving plate. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with a side of spicy yogurt sauce, rice, and grilled vegetables. And there you have it, your very own delicious and flavorful Spiced Skewered Chicken (Chicken Sosaties)!
Pro tip: For an even more authentic South African flavor, try serving the skewers with curried apricot or chilli pineapple dipping sauce. Or, mix it up and try different variations of skewered chicken, such as Persian chicken, Korean chicken, or even Hawaiian chicken! The possibilities are endless.
Now that you know how to make this amazing dish, it’s time to fire up the grill and get cooking! Trust me, your taste buds will thank you.
Substitutions and Variations
One of the great things about this Spiced Skewered Chicken (Chicken Sosaties) Recipe is that it’s super versatile and easy to customize to your liking. Here are some substitutions and variations you can try:
– Meat: While this recipe calls for boneless skinless chicken breasts, you can also use chicken thighs or even beef or lamb if you prefer. Just keep in mind that the cooking time may vary depending on the meat you use.
– Spiciness: If you’re not a fan of spicy food, you can reduce the amount of Madras curry powder and chilli flakes in the marinade. On the other hand, if you love heat, feel free to add more!
– Fruit: The original recipe calls for apricot jam, but you can use any other fruit jam you have on hand, such as peach, mango, or even raspberry. You can also add fresh fruit to the skewers, such as pineapple or mango, for a burst of sweetness.
– Vegetables: While this recipe doesn’t include any vegetables, you can certainly add them to the skewers. Some good options include bell peppers, onions, zucchini, and mushrooms.
– Sauce: The spiced yogurt sauce that accompanies this recipe is delicious, but you can also serve the skewers with other sauces such as tzatziki, chimichurri, or even a simple barbecue sauce.
– International Variations: If you want to switch up the flavor profile, you can try making different types of skewers inspired by different cuisines. For example, you could make Persian Chicken Skewers with saffron and sumac, Korean Chicken Skewers with gochujang and sesame oil, or Sambal Chicken Skewers with spicy Indonesian sambal sauce.
Overall, there are endless possibilities when it comes to customizing this Spiced Skewered Chicken recipe to your liking. Don’t be afraid to experiment and try new flavor combinations to find your perfect skewer!
Serving and Pairing
These spiced skewered chicken (chicken sosaties) are perfect for sharing with friends and family at any gathering or barbecue. They are versatile and can be served as an appetizer, a main course or even as a snack. The skewers are bursting with flavor and will leave your taste buds wanting more.
To serve, place the skewers on a platter and garnish with fresh lemon wedges or a side of spicy yogurt sauce. You can also pair them with a light salad, grilled vegetables or some rice. For a complete meal, I recommend serving them with a side of fragrant rice recipe, which perfectly complements the spicy flavor of the chicken.
If you’re looking to add more variety to your meal, consider serving these chicken sosaties alongside other grilled meats such as shish kebabs or Persian chicken. You can also add some Korean bbq or honey garlic chicken to the mix for a truly international feast.
For a tropical twist, pair them with some chilli pineapple or curried apricot. The sweetness of the fruit will balance out the spiciness of the chicken and make for a perfect combination.
These spiced skewered chicken (chicken sosaties) are perfect for any occasion and are sure to please any crowd. So, fire up the grill and get ready for some deliciousness!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This spiced skewered chicken (chicken sosaties) recipe is perfect for making ahead of time for a stress-free meal. The marinated chicken can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance and stored in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
After cooking, any leftover chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. When reheating, use a microwave or oven until the chicken is heated through. I recommend adding a little bit of water or chicken broth to the container to help keep the chicken moist during reheating.
If you want to freeze the chicken, it’s best to do so before cooking. The marinated chicken can be stored in a freezer-safe container or bag for up to three months. When you’re ready to cook, just thaw the chicken in the refrigerator overnight before grilling.
To add some variety to your meals, try using the leftover chicken to make a salad, wrap or sandwich. You can also chop it up and add it to a stir-fry or rice dish.
Remember, food safety is important when storing and reheating leftovers. Always make sure the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F before serving. And when in doubt, throw it out.
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure that your spiced skewered chicken turns out perfectly, follow these tips:
1. Marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours or overnight: Marinating the chicken helps to tenderize it and infuse it with flavor. For best results, marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours or overnight. This will allow the flavors to fully develop and the spices to penetrate the meat.
2. Soak the skewers in water: If you are using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before using. This will prevent the skewers from burning when cooking.
3. Cut the chicken into uniform pieces: To ensure that the chicken cooks evenly, it’s important to cut it into uniform pieces. This will also make it easier to skewer the chicken.
4. Leave some space between the pieces: When skewering the chicken, make sure to leave a little bit of space between each piece. This will allow the chicken to cook evenly and ensure that it doesn’t stick together.
5. Preheat your grill or grill pan: Make sure to preheat your grill or grill pan before cooking the chicken. This will ensure that the chicken cooks evenly and doesn’t stick to the grill.
6. Brush the chicken with oil: Before grilling the chicken, brush it with a little bit of oil. This will help to prevent the chicken from sticking to the grill and add some extra flavor.
7. Don’t overcook the chicken: Overcooking the chicken will result in dry and tough meat. To ensure that the chicken is cooked through but still juicy, cook it for 10-12 minutes, flipping it occasionally.
8. Let the chicken rest before serving: After grilling the chicken, let it rest for a few minutes before serving. This will allow the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, resulting in a more flavorful and tender dish.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create delicious and perfectly cooked spiced skewered chicken every time.
In conclusion, this Spiced Skewered Chicken (Chicken Sosaties) Recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves grilled chicken with a spicy kick. With its unique flavor profile and easy-to-follow instructions, this recipe is perfect for anyone who wants to impress their friends and family with a delicious and exotic dish. Whether you’re planning a backyard barbecue or a family dinner, these chicken skewers are sure to be a hit. So, what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try today and experience the bold flavors of South African cuisine in your own kitchen. Bon appétit!
Spiced Skewered Chicken (Chicken Sosaties) Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- Place chicken in a large deep nonreactive bowl.
- Heat oil in a nonreactive saucepan and fry the onions until they are lightly browned. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 2 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly to make sure that the sugar has dissolved.
- Allow the marinade to cool and pour it over the chicken.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 24 hours.
- When ready to grill the chicken pieces, remove them from the marinade, drain them, place them on skewers, and grill over hot coals or under the broiler for 10 minutes, turning once, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve hot with apricot chutney.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.