Welcome to my kitchen, where I’ll be sharing with you one of my all-time favorite recipes – Savory Rice with Mushrooms. This recipe has been passed down to me by none other than Johnny Cash’s mother, and I must say, it’s one of the best rice dishes I have ever had.
If you’re a fan of mushrooms, this recipe will definitely become a staple in your kitchen. It’s a perfect side dish for any meal or can even be the main event when paired with some protein. The earthy flavor of the mushrooms combined with the savory taste of the rice is a match made in heaven.
Cooking this dish is not only easy, but it’s also a great way to impress your guests. The aroma of the herbs and the sizzle of the butter in the pan will have everyone asking for seconds. Plus, the best part is that you can prepare this dish in advance, so you can focus on other tasks while it cooks.
So, let’s get started on making this delicious Savory Rice with Mushrooms recipe, and I promise you won’t be disappointed.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re looking for the ultimate comfort food that is easy to make and absolutely delicious, then look no further than Johnny Cash’s mother’s savory rice with mushrooms recipe. This recipe has been passed down from generation to generation, and it is no wonder why it has stood the test of time.
Firstly, this recipe is packed with flavor. The combination of thyme, basil, and mushrooms creates a savory taste that will make your taste buds dance with joy. The green onions also add a nice touch of freshness to the dish, making it the perfect balance of flavors.
Not only is this recipe delicious, but it is also easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients and some basic cooking skills, you can whip up a batch of savory rice with mushrooms in no time. Plus, it is a one-pot dish, which means fewer dishes to clean up after dinner!
Another reason why you’ll love this recipe is that it is versatile. You can easily swap out the mushrooms for another vegetable, or even add some protein like chicken or shrimp to make it a complete meal. The possibilities are endless!
Lastly, this recipe is a part of Johnny Cash’s family history. It is a tribute to his mother and the food that she used to cook for him. By making this recipe, you are not only indulging in a delicious meal but also honoring the legacy of Johnny Cash and his family.
In conclusion, whether you’re a fan of Johnny Cash or just looking for a comforting and delicious meal to enjoy, you won’t be disappointed with this savory rice with mushrooms recipe. Give it a try and see why it has been a family favorite for generations.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this savory rice with mushrooms recipe:
- 1 cube of butter
- 1 bunch of green onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of basil
- 1 cup of uncooked rice
- 10 1/2 ounces of water
- 1 can of mushrooms, drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon of thyme, optional
I recommend using brown rice for this recipe, but you can use any type of rice you prefer. Make sure to rinse the rice thoroughly before cooking it to remove any excess starch. You can also use fresh mushrooms instead of canned, just make sure to clean them well and slice them thinly.
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s get started with the recipe how-to. Follow these simple steps to make the best ever savory rice with mushrooms, Johnny Cash’s mother’s recipe.
- 1 cube of butter
- 1 bunch of green onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of basil
- 1 cup of uncooked rice
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 10 ounces of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of thyme
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the minced green onion, and sauté for a few minutes until it becomes translucent.
- Add the salt and basil, and stir well.
- Add the uncooked rice, sliced mushrooms, and water. Stir again.
- Pour the mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with thyme.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
- For extra flavor, use chicken or vegetable broth instead of water.
- Add a pinch of black pepper for some heat.
- You can use any type of rice you prefer, but brown rice works well in this recipe.
- If you want a creamier texture, add 1/4 cup of heavy cream before baking.
- Make sure to cover the casserole dish tightly with foil to prevent moisture loss.
Now that you know how to make this savory rice with mushrooms, Johnny Cash’s mother’s recipe, it’s time to get cooking!
Substitutions and Variations
Looking to switch up this savory rice with mushrooms recipe? No problem! Here are some substitutions and variations that you can try out:
– Vegetarian: This recipe is already vegetarian, but if you want to make it vegan, simply swap out the butter for a vegan butter or oil of your choice. You can also skip the cheese and use a vegan cheese substitute or nutritional yeast.
– Protein: If you want to add some protein to this dish, you can throw in some cooked chicken, shrimp, or tofu. Just cook your protein of choice separately and toss it in with the rice and mushrooms when it’s done.
– Rice: Any type of rice will work for this recipe, but if you want to switch it up, you can try using brown rice instead of white. Keep in mind that brown rice takes longer to cook, so you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
– Mushrooms: If you’re not a fan of mushrooms, you can swap them out for another vegetable, such as diced bell peppers, zucchini, or eggplant. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
– Herbs: You can switch up the herbs in this recipe to suit your taste. Try using rosemary instead of thyme or parsley instead of basil. You can also add some dried herbs like oregano or sage for extra flavor.
– Cheese: If you don’t have Parmesan cheese on hand, you can use any other type of hard cheese, such as Pecorino Romano or Asiago. You can also skip the cheese altogether if you prefer.
By making these substitutions and variations, you can create a whole new dish that’s just as delicious as the original. Experiment with different ingredients and flavors to find your perfect version of savory rice with mushrooms.
Serving and Pairing
Savory Rice with Mushrooms is a dish that pairs well with many different foods. It can be served as a side dish to a variety of main courses, or it can be the star of a vegetarian meal. The earthy flavors of the mushrooms and herbs make it a great pairing for roasted meats such as chicken, beef or lamb. It also works well as a side dish for grilled fish or seafood.
For a vegetarian meal, the rice can be served alongside roasted vegetables or as a stuffing for bell peppers or squash. It can also be served with a side salad or topped with roasted nuts for added texture and crunch.
If you’re looking for a wine pairing, a light red wine such as Pinot Noir or a rich Chardonnay would work well with the earthy flavors of the mushrooms and herbs. For beer lovers, a brown ale or a Belgian Dubbel would complement the dish nicely.
As for presentation, you can serve the dish in a large serving bowl or on individual plates. A sprinkle of fresh herbs or green onion on top adds a pop of color and freshness. The dish can also be garnished with a few slices of sautéed mushrooms.
Overall, Savory Rice with Mushrooms is a versatile and delicious dish that can be paired with a wide range of foods and drinks.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This savory rice with mushrooms recipe is perfect for making ahead of time. You can prepare it the day before or even a few hours before serving. To make the dish ahead of time, follow the recipe as usual but don’t add the green onions until you reheat the dish. Transfer the rice and mushroom mixture to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve.
When reheating the rice, add a splash of water to the container and cover it with a lid or plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes or until the rice is heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat the dish in a skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the rice is hot.
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When reheating the leftovers, add a splash of water to the container and cover it with a lid or plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes or until the rice is heated through.
One thing to keep in mind is that the rice may dry out a bit when reheated, so you may need to add a little bit of water to it to keep it moist. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different seasonings or toppings when reheating the rice. You can add a little bit of fresh thyme or basil or sprinkle some green onions on top to give it a little extra flavor.
Overall, this savory rice with mushrooms recipe is perfect for making ahead of time and reheating later. Whether you’re meal prepping for the week or simply trying to save time on a busy weeknight, this dish is sure to be a hit.
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to cooking savory rice with mushrooms, the key to perfect results lies in the quality of the ingredients and the cooking technique. Here are some tips that will help you make the best out of Johnny Cash’s mother’s recipe:
– Choose the right rice: For this recipe, it’s best to use long-grain brown rice, as it has a nutty flavor and a chewy texture that complements the mushrooms and herbs very well. Avoid using white rice, as it tends to get too soft and mushy.
– Rinse the rice: Before cooking, rinse the rice several times in cold water until the water runs clear. This will remove any excess starch and debris that might affect the texture and flavor of the rice.
– Use homemade broth: Instead of using water to cook the rice, use homemade broth made from chicken or vegetable scraps, as this will add more depth and richness to the dish. If you don’t have broth on hand, you can use a bouillon cube dissolved in water.
– Add the herbs at the right time: To get the most flavor out of the thyme and basil, add them to the rice when it’s almost done cooking, and let them infuse for a few minutes before fluffing the rice with a fork. This will ensure that the herbs don’t lose their aroma and color during prolonged cooking.
– Cook the mushrooms separately: To prevent the mushrooms from turning soggy and releasing too much liquid, sauté them separately in butter until they’re golden brown and crispy. Then, add them to the rice just before serving, and toss gently to distribute them evenly.
– Season with care: Although this recipe calls for only a teaspoon of salt, you can adjust the amount to your liking. Keep in mind that the broth and the butter already contain some salt, so taste the rice before adding more. Also, don’t forget to add a pinch of black pepper to enhance the savory flavors.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to make a delicious and aromatic savory rice with mushrooms that will impress your guests and satisfy your taste buds.
In conclusion, this savory rice with mushrooms recipe, passed down from Johnny Cash’s mother, is a true gem. With its simple yet flavorful ingredients, it’s easy to see why it has stood the test of time. Whether you’re looking for a comforting side dish or a hearty main course, this recipe is sure to satisfy your taste buds. So why not give it a try and experience the best ever rice and mushrooms dish for yourself? Trust me, it’s worth it.
Savory Rice With Mushrooms (Johnny Cash’s Mother’s Recipe) Recipe
- butter, 1 cube (don't know how much a cube is)
- 1 bunch green onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can consomme
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms, with liquid
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Melt butter and cook minced onion in it.
- Add rice; brown lightly.
- Combine other ingredients with rice mixture and bring to boil.
- Cover; reduce heat and steam until liquid is absorbed.
- If rice is not done, add more water sparingly.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.