ROASTED BROCCOLI WITH SMASHED GARLIC Recipe
Welcome to my kitchen! Today, I’m going to be sharing with you one of my favorite vegetable dishes – roasted broccoli with smashed garlic. This recipe is perfect for those who are looking for a healthy and delicious side dish that can be prepared quickly and easily.
Broccoli is a nutritional powerhouse, packed with vitamins and minerals that are essential for a healthy diet. When roasted in the oven, it becomes crispy and caramelized, and the smashed garlic adds a burst of flavor that takes this dish to the next level.
Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a beginner, this recipe is sure to become a staple in your kitchen. It’s simple, versatile, and can be customized to suit your taste preferences. So, let’s get started and roast some broccoli!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for a new way to enjoy broccoli? Look no further than this roasted broccoli with smashed garlic recipe! Not only is this dish incredibly easy to make, but it’s also packed with flavor and nutrients.
First of all, roasting the broccoli brings out its natural sweetness and gives it a crispy texture that’s hard to resist. And when you add in the fragrant garlic and the richness of extra virgin olive oil, it becomes a side dish that will have your taste buds dancing with joy.
But that’s not all – this recipe is also incredibly versatile. You can serve it alongside mashed potatoes and gravy for a classic comfort food meal, or pair it with a garlic parmesan chicken for a more low-carb option. And if you have any leftovers, you can easily puree the roasted broccoli into a flavorful vegetable soup or use it as a topping for a homemade pizza.
Not only is this dish delicious, but it’s also incredibly nutritious. Broccoli is packed with vitamins and minerals, and roasting it actually helps to retain more of its nutrients than boiling or steaming. So not only will your taste buds be happy, but your body will thank you too.
Overall, this roasted broccoli with smashed garlic recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves a flavorful and healthy side dish. So head to the kitchen, preheat that oven to 450 degrees, and get ready to enjoy some crispy, oven-roasted goodness.
- 1 lb broccoli florets
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
The ingredient list for this Roasted Broccoli with Smashed Garlic recipe is short and simple, but the flavors are anything but basic. You will need fresh broccoli florets, garlic cloves, extra-virgin olive oil, garlic salt, and black pepper. It’s important to use fresh broccoli for this recipe as it will roast up perfectly and provide a tender texture. The garlic salt will give the broccoli a savory flavor, while the black pepper adds a subtle heat. The extra-virgin olive oil is essential as it will help the broccoli to roast and brown evenly. With these few ingredients, you can create a delicious and healthy side dish that is perfect for any meal.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have all the ingredients ready, let’s get started with the recipe.
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). While the oven is preheating, prepare the broccoli florets by cutting them into bite-sized pieces.
Step 2: Combine Broccoli with Olive Oil and Garlic
In a large bowl, combine broccoli florets, 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil, and 4-5 garlic cloves, which have been smashed. Toss the mixture well, so that the broccoli florets are coated evenly with the oil and garlic.
Step 3: Add Salt and Pepper
Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, and a pinch of garlic powder to the broccoli mixture. Toss the broccoli again to make sure that the seasoning is distributed evenly.
Step 4: Roast the Broccoli
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the broccoli mixture out evenly. Roast the broccoli in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the broccoli is browned and crispy.
Step 5: Serve and Enjoy
Once the broccoli is roasted, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Transfer the roasted broccoli to a serving dish and drizzle it with some lemon juice and olive oil. This roasted broccoli recipe makes a great side dish for any meal, and it’s perfect for those who are looking for a low-carb and healthy option.
Now that you know how to make this delicious roasted broccoli with smashed garlic recipe, give it a try and enjoy the crispy oven-roasted broccoli with your family and friends.
Substitutions and Variations
One of the best things about cooking is the ability to make a recipe your own by adding your own personal touch. This recipe for roasted broccoli with smashed garlic is no exception. Here are some substitutions and variations that you can try to customize this dish to your liking:
1. Oil: Instead of using extra virgin olive oil, you can use any other type of oil that you prefer. Some popular options are avocado oil, coconut oil, or even sesame oil for a slightly different flavor.
2. Garlic: If you’re not a fan of garlic, or if you don’t have any on hand, you can omit it from the recipe entirely. Alternatively, you can substitute it with garlic powder for a milder flavor.
3. Salt and Pepper: While the classic combination of salt and black pepper works perfectly for this recipe, you can experiment with other seasonings as well. Try adding some red pepper flakes for a spicy kick, or some cumin and paprika for a smoky flavor.
4. Broccoli: If you don’t have any broccoli florets on hand, you can use other vegetables instead. Cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and asparagus are all great options. You can even mix and match different vegetables for a colorful and nutritious side dish.
5. Roasting Temperature: While the recipe calls for preheating the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, you can also roast the broccoli at a lower temperature, such as 400 degrees Fahrenheit. This will result in a slightly softer texture and a milder flavor.
6. Serving Ideas: This roasted broccoli with smashed garlic makes for a delicious side dish, but you can also serve it as a main dish by adding some protein, such as grilled chicken or tofu. You can also sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top for some extra flavor.
Overall, don’t be afraid to experiment with this recipe and make it your own. With so many delicious variations to try, you’ll never get bored of this healthy and flavorful dish.
Serving and Pairing
Roasted broccoli with smashed garlic is a versatile dish that can be served in many ways. It makes a fantastic side dish for almost any main course, from grilled chicken or fish to roasted beef or pork. The flavors of the roasted broccoli and garlic are mild and complementary, making it a great accompaniment to a wide variety of dishes.
One of my favorite ways to serve roasted broccoli with smashed garlic is as a side dish for mashed potatoes. The creamy texture of the potatoes pairs perfectly with the roasted broccoli, and the garlic adds a nice kick of flavor. Another great pairing for this dish is a simple roasted chicken or turkey. The crispy skin of the chicken complements the tender, roasted broccoli, and the garlic adds a depth of flavor to the entire meal.
If you’re looking for a low-carb option, roasted broccoli with smashed garlic is a great choice. It’s a healthy and delicious side dish that can be paired with a variety of proteins, such as grilled fish or steamed shrimp. You can also serve it as a main dish by adding some fresh broccoli florets and a drizzle of olive oil for added flavor and texture.
For a vegetarian or vegan meal, roasted broccoli with smashed garlic can be served as a main dish or side dish. It’s delicious on its own, or you can pair it with a simple salad or a vegetable puree for a complete meal. The flavors of the roasted broccoli and garlic are bold enough to stand on their own, but they also pair well with other vegetables, such as roasted sweet potatoes, carrots, or asparagus.
Overall, roasted broccoli with smashed garlic is a versatile and delicious dish that can be served in many different ways. Whether you’re looking for a low-carb side dish, a vegetarian main course, or a complement to your favorite protein, roasted broccoli with smashed garlic is sure to be a hit at your next meal.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This roasted broccoli with smashed garlic recipe is perfect for meal prep or make-ahead meals. You can easily prepare it a day ahead and store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to reheat it. To reheat the dish, simply place it in the oven at 350°F for around 10-15 minutes or until it is heated through.
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. It is best to reheat the leftovers in the oven rather than the microwave to maintain the texture and flavor of the roasted broccoli.
You can also freeze this roasted broccoli recipe for up to three months. To freeze, let the dish cool completely before transferring it into a freezer-friendly container. When you are ready to eat, simply let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat it in the oven at 350°F for around 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
As a side dish, this roasted broccoli with smashed garlic pairs perfectly with mashed potatoes, garlic parmesan broccoli puree, or steamed broccoli. It is also a great low carb vegetable option to add to any meal.
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve the perfect roasted broccoli with smashed garlic recipe, here are some tips to keep in mind:
1. Use fresh broccoli: The fresher the broccoli, the better the outcome of the dish. Make sure to choose broccoli with tightly packed florets and firm stalks.
2. Cut the broccoli into evenly sized pieces: This ensures that the broccoli will cook evenly and not overcook in some areas while remaining undercooked in others.
3. Preheat the oven: Preheat the oven to the correct temperature specified in the recipe to ensure even cooking and crispy oven-roasted broccoli.
4. Use parchment paper: Line the baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent the broccoli from sticking to the pan and to make cleaning up easier.
5. Toss the broccoli with oil and seasoning: Combine the broccoli florets with oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl to ensure that each piece is coated evenly.
6. Roast at the correct temperature: Roast the broccoli at the specified temperature for the recommended time to achieve the perfect balance of crispiness and tenderness.
7. Check for doneness: Check the broccoli frequently and remove from the oven when it is browned and tender.
8. Serve immediately: Serve the roasted broccoli with smashed garlic immediately after removing it from the oven to ensure it stays crispy.
With these tips, you can achieve the perfect roasted broccoli with smashed garlic recipe every time. Enjoy!
Now that you know how to make this delicious roasted broccoli with smashed garlic recipe, you might have some questions or concerns. Don’t worry, in this section, we will cover some frequently asked questions to help you achieve the perfect roasted broccoli every time. So, let’s get started!
How do you stop broccoli from burning when roasting?
When it comes to roasted broccoli, it’s important not to cut corners with the oil. The soft and fluffy tips of the “tree” florets are undoubtedly the tastiest part, but they also have a tendency to burn quickly. To prevent this, make sure that you generously coat the florets with olive oil before roasting. This will ensure that they cook evenly and do not become charred. So, don’t be shy with the oil!
How do you keep broccoli crispy when cooking?
When roasting broccoli, it’s important to ensure that it becomes crispy rather than steamed. Wet broccoli heads won’t crisp up, so it’s essential to get rid of as much moisture as possible before roasting. There are a few ways to dry broccoli, such as leaving it for an hour on a towel on the counter, using a salad spinner, or wrapping it in a towel and shaking off any excess liquid. By doing this, you’ll be one step closer to achieving perfectly crispy roasted broccoli that’s bursting with flavor.
Which cooking technique gives the best results when cooking broccoli?
If you’re looking for a quick and tasty way to cook broccoli, sautéing or pan-frying is the way to go! Broccoli can easily become overcooked and lose its flavor, but with this easy recipe, you’ll end up with deliciously crisp-tender and flavorful broccoli every time. This is my personal go-to recipe that I use almost every day.
Is roasting broccoli good for you?
Looking for a nutritious and delicious side dish that will impress your guests? Look no further than roasted broccoli! Not only is it packed with fiber and vitamin C, but it also boasts a surprising amount of protein. Say goodbye to boring steamed broccoli and hello to an easy and flavorful alternative.
In conclusion, roasted broccoli with smashed garlic is a delicious and healthy side dish that you should definitely try. This recipe is easy to make, and you can customize it to your liking by adding more or less garlic, salt or pepper.
Roasting the broccoli adds a crispy texture that is sure to impress your guests, and the smashed garlic adds a bold and savory flavor that will elevate the dish to a whole new level. Whether you are a fan of roasted vegetables or not, this recipe is definitely worth a try.
So next time you are looking for a healthy and flavorful side dish, consider making roasted broccoli with smashed garlic. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also packed with nutrients and vitamins that are good for your health. Trust me, once you try this recipe, you’ll never go back to steamed broccoli again!
ROASTED BROCCOLI WITH SMASHED GARLIC Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs broccoli florets, cut long with part of stem
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and fresh pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a baking dish combine broccoli, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Roast broccoli about 20 minutes, until broccoli is browned and tender.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.