Low Fat Chicken in Coke Gravy (Kosher-Meat) Recipe
Care to make delicious meals that are also healthy? Today, I’m going to share with you my recipe for Low Fat Chicken in Coke Gravy, a dish that is sure to become a staple in your recipe collection. This recipe is perfect for those who are looking for a low-fat option that doesn’t sacrifice taste.
I discovered this recipe when I was trying to find a way to make a flavorful gravy without using a lot of fat. I found that cola can add a unique flavor to gravy while also keeping it low-fat. I experimented with different ingredients until I came up with the perfect combination of flavors.
In this recipe, we will be using skinless, boneless chicken breast and chicken legs, which are both leaner cuts of meat. We’ll also be using cornstarch instead of traditional flour to thicken the gravy, which is a great option for those who are gluten-free.
I’m excited to share this recipe with you, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. So, let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Picture this: tender, juicy chicken coated in a rich, savory gravy that’s bursting with flavor. Sounds pretty amazing, right? Now imagine that same dish, but with the added bonus of being low in fat. That’s what you get with this Low Fat Chicken in Coke Gravy recipe.
First of all, let’s talk about the star ingredient: Coca Cola. That’s right, this recipe utilizes the sweet and bubbly soda to create a unique and delicious flavor profile. The soda is combined with chicken broth, onion soup mix, and a few other seasonings to make a mouthwatering gravy that perfectly complements the chicken.
But what really sets this recipe apart is that it’s low in fat. By using skinless, boneless chicken breasts and legs, and reducing the amount of oil in the recipe, we’ve created a healthier version of this classic dish without sacrificing any of the flavor. And with only 70 calories per serving, you can indulge in this dish guilt-free.
But don’t just take our word for it. This recipe has received rave reviews from food bloggers and home cooks alike. Many have praised its simplicity and deliciousness, with one reviewer even calling it “the best coke chicken recipe out there.”
Whether you’re looking for a new twist on a classic dish or trying to eat healthier while still enjoying delicious meals, this Low Fat Chicken in Coke Gravy recipe is sure to hit the spot. So give it a try and see for yourself why you’ll love this recipe.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this low fat chicken in coke gravy (kosher-meat) recipe:
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves or 4 skinless chicken legs (fresh, 340 g)
- 4 cups Coca Cola (1 liter Diet Coke can be used instead)
- 70 g onion soup mix (2 tablespoons)
- 80 g cornstarch (6 full tablespoons)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
All of these ingredients are easily available at any grocery store. If you are lactose intolerant, this recipe is a great option for you as it is lactose-free.
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Prepare the Chicken
First, we need to prepare the chicken. We will be using 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts or 4 skinless chicken legs. Rinse the chicken under running water and pat dry with a paper towel.
Step 2: Cut the Chicken
Next, we will cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. If you are using chicken breasts, cut them into 1-2 inch chunks. If you are using chicken legs, remove the skin and cut the meat from the bones. Then cut the meat into 1-2 inch chunks.
Step 3: Cook the Chicken
In a large skillet or wok, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
Step 4: Make the Coke Gravy
In the same skillet, add 1 cup of Coke and 1 cup of chicken broth. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add 1 packet of onion soup mix and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce. Stir well to combine.
Step 5: Thicken the Gravy
In a small bowl, whisk together 4 tablespoons of cornstarch and 4 tablespoons of water until smooth. Slowly add the cornstarch mixture to the skillet, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until the gravy thickens, about 2-3 minutes.
Step 6: Finish Cooking the Chicken
Add the cooked chicken back into the skillet and stir to coat with the gravy. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the gravy has thickened.
Step 7: Serve and Enjoy
Your Low Fat Chicken in Coke Gravy (Kosher-Meat) is now ready to serve! You can serve it over rice, noodles, or with your favorite vegetables. It’s a delicious and easy meal that the whole family will love.
Substitutions and Variations
If you want to switch up the recipe a bit, there are a few substitutions and variations you can try. Here are some suggestions:
– Meat: You can use either skinless chicken breast or skinless boneless chicken thighs instead of the chicken legs. You can also try using chicken wings, cut into chunks, or chicken drumsticks.
– Cola: While Coca Cola is the classic choice for this recipe, you can also use Diet Coke or any other brand of cola. Keep in mind that using a different type of cola may affect the taste of the dish.
– Cornstarch: If you don’t have cornstarch, you can use flour or arrowroot powder instead. However, keep in mind that the consistency of the gravy may be slightly different.
– Soy sauce: If you’re looking for a soy-free option, you can try using coconut aminos or tamari instead of soy sauce.
– Kosher meat: If you’re not following a kosher diet, you can use any type of meat you like for this recipe. Chicken, beef, or pork would all work well.
– Low-fat: If you’re looking for a lower-fat version of this recipe, you can use skinless chicken breast instead of chicken legs, and reduce the amount of cornstarch used in the recipe.
– Spicier: If you like your food with a bit of a kick, you can add some hot sauce or red pepper flakes to the recipe.
– BBQ: For a different twist on this recipe, you can try using BBQ sauce instead of ketchup, and grilling the chicken instead of baking it in the oven.
No matter how you choose to customize this recipe, make sure to adjust the cooking times and temperatures accordingly to ensure a delicious and safe meal.
Serving and Pairing
This low-fat chicken in coke gravy recipe is a delicious and satisfying meal that can be paired with a variety of sides. Here are some recommendations to make your meal complete:
– Rice: This chicken dish goes great with a side of fluffy white rice. The gravy can be poured over the rice to add extra flavor.
– Roasted Vegetables: Roast some vegetables like carrots, squash, or Brussels sprouts to add some color and nutrition to your plate.
– Mashed Potatoes: Creamy mashed potatoes are always a classic side dish that pairs well with chicken. The gravy can be spooned on top of the mashed potatoes for an extra burst of flavor.
– Salad: If you’re looking for a lighter side dish, a fresh salad with a tangy dressing can complement the sweetness of the chicken.
– Bread: A slice of crusty bread or dinner roll can be perfect for mopping up any remaining gravy on your plate.
This chicken dish is versatile enough to be served for a casual family meal or to impress guests at a dinner party. Pair it with your favorite beverage such as soda, lemonade, or iced tea. Enjoy!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This Low Fat Chicken in Coke Gravy (Kosher-Meat) Recipe is perfect for meal prep and can be made ahead of time. Simply cook the chicken in the Coke gravy and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
When you’re ready to serve, reheat the chicken in the microwave or on the stovetop until it’s heated through. You may need to add a little bit of water or chicken broth to the gravy to thin it out if it has thickened in the fridge.
To freeze the chicken, allow it to cool completely and store it in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and reheat it as directed above.
If you find that you have leftover Coke gravy, don’t let it go to waste! Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply pour it into a saucepan and heat it over medium-low heat. If the gravy has thickened, you can thin it out with a little bit of water or chicken broth.
Overall, this recipe is incredibly versatile and can be prepared ahead of time for a quick and easy meal. The make-ahead and storing options make it perfect for meal prep or those busy weeknights when you don’t have a lot of time to cook.
Tips for Perfect Results
As a chef, I know that sometimes the smallest details can make the biggest difference in a recipe. Here are my top tips for ensuring perfect results when making Low Fat Chicken in Coke Gravy:
1. Use skinless, boneless chicken breast or thighs: This will not only cut down on the fat in the recipe, but it will also make the cooking process quicker and easier.
2. Cut the chicken into even-sized pieces: This will ensure that the chicken cooks evenly and doesn’t dry out.
3. Use a non-stick pan: This will help prevent the chicken from sticking to the pan and breaking apart.
4. Cook the chicken over medium-high heat: This will give the chicken a nice sear on the outside while keeping it juicy on the inside.
5. Thicken the gravy with cornstarch: Cornstarch is a great thickener for gravies because it doesn’t add any flavor and it’s gluten-free.
6. Let the chicken rest before serving: This will allow the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, making it more tender and flavorful.
7. Pair with a light side dish: Since this recipe is already low in fat, try pairing it with a light and fresh side dish, such as a salad or steamed vegetables.
8. Experiment with variations: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different spices or sauces to make this recipe your own. Try adding oyster sauce or black pepper for an extra kick of flavor.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create a delicious and healthy Low Fat Chicken in Coke Gravy that is sure to impress.
In conclusion, this low-fat chicken in coke gravy recipe is the perfect choice for those looking for a delicious, yet healthy meal option. The combination of coke, soy sauce, and onion soup mix creates a mouth-watering gravy that pairs perfectly with skinless, boneless chicken. With this recipe, you won’t have to sacrifice flavor for health.
Moreover, there are many ways to customize and modify the recipe to suit your personal preferences. Whether you want to swap out chicken breast for chicken thighs or experiment with different variations of coke, there are countless opportunities to make this recipe your own.
Finally, the ease of preparation and flexibility of this recipe make it a great choice for busy weeknights or special occasions. You can make it ahead of time, store it in the fridge, and reheat it later without losing any of its delicious flavors.
Overall, this low-fat chicken in coke gravy recipe is a must-try for anyone looking for a tasty and healthy meal option. So, go ahead and give it a try. You won’t be disappointed!
Low Fat Chicken in Coke Gravy (Kosher-Meat) Recipe
- 6 skinless chicken legs (Fresh – 340 grams each)
- 4 cups Coca-Cola (1 litter, NOT Diet!)
- 70 g onion soup mix (6 full Tbs)
- 80 g cornstarch (4 full Tbs)
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 430°F.
- Place chicken quarters in oven pan facing down. (If there was skin, it would have been on bottom).
- Pour Coke on chicken quarters.
- Evenly spread onion soup powder.
- Cover and seal with heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Take pan out and uncover aluminum foil — Careful! steam is very hot.
- Flip over chicken quarters.
- Put back into oven (without aluminum foil) for additional 10-15 minutes until chicken is nicely brown as desired.
- Occasionally wet chicken quarters with the fluids in the pan.
- Arrange chicken quarters on a serving dish.
- Pour fluids into small pot and bring to a light gentle boil.
- In the meantime, mix and dissolve corn starch in one cup of tub water, and gradually add to the fluids in the pot. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Keep stirring the bubbly gravy on medium heat for additional 3-5 minutes until thickens.
- Pour some of the gravy to a serving gravy boat, and spread the rest all over ready to serve chicken quarters.
YOUR OWN NOTES
You’ll Love These Chicken Recipes
Delicious Red Chicken: A Comforting Family Recipe
Spicy and Savory: Must-Try Mexican Stew Recipe
Delicious and Healthy Jicama Chicken Saute Recipe
Spiced Skewered Chicken (Chicken Sosaties) Recipe
Comforting Chicken and Stars Soup Recipe
Mama Ninfas-Style Chicken Fajitas: A Mouthwatering Recipe
Easy One-Pot Creamy Bruschetta Chicken Recipe
Low Fat Chicken in Coke Gravy (Kosher-Meat) Recipe
Lucy is an avid learner and Yoga practitioner, who loves to explore new cultures and learn about different cuisines. She believes in living a healthy and fulfilling life and loves to share her knowledge with others. Her enthusiasm for life is contagious.