Get ready for a refreshing and delicious recipe that will leave you craving for more! This strawberry squash recipe is the perfect treat for a hot summer day. With a combination of sweet and tangy flavors, this recipe is sure to impress your taste buds. The best part? It’s incredibly easy to make and requires only a few ingredients.
If you’re looking for a unique and healthy way to enjoy squash, then you’re in the right place. This recipe is perfect for those who want to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into their diet. The combination of squash and strawberries creates a refreshing drink that you can enjoy any time of the day.
Whether you’re hosting a summer BBQ or just looking for a refreshing drink to enjoy on a hot day, this strawberry squash recipe is the perfect choice. So, grab your blender and let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If strawberries and squash aren’t already your go-to summer ingredients, then you’re in for a treat with this Strawberry Squash Recipe. This recipe is a perfect blend of sweet, tangy, and refreshing flavors that will leave you feeling satisfied and refreshed. Here are a few reasons why you’ll love this recipe:
Firstly, it’s versatile. This recipe can be enjoyed as a smoothie, a refreshing drink, or even as a cocktail. The choice is yours! You can easily tweak the ingredients to suit your taste and mood.
Secondly, it’s healthy. This recipe is loaded with fresh fruits, including strawberries and squash, which are packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Additionally, the recipe calls for coconut water, which is a great source of hydration and electrolytes. So, not only will you be indulging your taste buds, but you’ll also be doing your body a favor.
Thirdly, it’s easy to make. This recipe requires only a few ingredients and simple steps. You can quickly whip it up for a mid-day snack or even as a refreshing drink for your summer party.
Fourthly, it’s perfect for any occasion. This recipe can be served as a standalone drink or paired with chicken kabobs or a strawberry salad. It’s a refreshing addition to any meal or gathering.
In conclusion, this Strawberry Squash Recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves refreshing drinks, fresh fruits, and healthy recipes. It’s easy to make, versatile, healthy, and perfect for any occasion. So, grab your ingredients, blend them up, and enjoy a delicious, refreshing drink that will leave you feeling satisfied and energized.
Here are the ingredients you will need for this delicious strawberry squash recipe:
For the Squash Smoothie:
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash, cubed
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup homemade strawberry crush
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Crushed ice
For the Strawberry Crush:
- 8 ounces strawberries (225 gm), fresh or frozen
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
You can use fresh or frozen strawberries for the smoothie and the crush. Make sure to have enough ice to keep the smoothie cool and refreshing. For the crush, you will need to juice an orange and a lemon to add a zesty and tangy flavor to the sweet strawberries. The recipe also includes butternut squash which adds a creamy texture and a sweet flavor to the smoothie. You can also use yellow summer squash for a lighter flavor. Don’t forget the homemade strawberry crush that you will need for the smoothie. It’s easy to make and adds a fresh, fruity flavor to the recipe.
The Recipe How-To
Roasting the Squash
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut butternut squash into 1-inch cubes, removing the seeds and skin.
- In a bowl, toss the cubes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Spread the cubes out onto a baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and tender.
Making the Strawberry Crush
- In a pan, add 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add 8 ounces of frozen strawberries to the pan and cook until the strawberries have broken down and the mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once cooled, blend the mixture until it forms a smooth puree.
Making the Squash Smoothie
- In a blender, combine the roasted squash, 8 ounces of frozen strawberries, 1 1/2 cups of milk, 2 tablespoons of confectioners’ sugar, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and zest of 1 orange.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of homemade strawberry crush and blend again.
- Add crushed ice and blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Serving the Strawberry Squash Smoothie
- Pour the smoothie into glasses and garnish with mint leaves and fresh strawberries.
- Serve immediately and enjoy this refreshing drink on a hot summer day.
This recipe is perfect for those who want to try something new and unique. The combination of roasted butternut squash and fresh strawberries creates a flavor that is both sweet and savory. The strawberry crush adds a bright burst of flavor and color, making this smoothie perfect for any occasion.
Substitutions and Variations
The great thing about this strawberry squash recipe is that it’s versatile and adaptable to different preferences and dietary needs. Here are some substitutions and variations you can explore:
– Milk: You can use any type of milk you prefer, such as almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk. If you want a richer and creamier smoothie or crush, you can replace some or all of the milk with heavy cream or coconut cream. For a dairy-free and vegan option, use a plant-based milk and skip the ice cream.
– Ice cream: While strawberry ice cream adds a lovely flavor and texture to this recipe, you can swap it for other types of ice cream, such as vanilla, chocolate, or mint. You can also omit the ice cream altogether and use frozen yogurt or frozen fruit instead.
– Squash: If you don’t have butternut squash, you can use other types of squash, such as acorn, kabocha, or delicata. You can also use pumpkin, sweet potato, or carrot instead for a similar sweetness and color.
– Strawberries: If you can’t find fresh or frozen strawberries, you can use other berries, such as raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries. You can also use a mixture of berries for a more complex flavor. If you want to reduce the sugar content, you can use less strawberries and more squash.
– Sugar: If you want to reduce the amount of sugar in this recipe, you can use less granulated sugar or skip the confectioners’ sugar altogether. You can also use honey, maple syrup, or stevia instead. Keep in mind that the sweetness of the smoothie or crush depends on the ripeness of the fruit and the sweetness of the ice cream, so adjust accordingly.
– Lemon and orange: While lemon and orange zest and juice add a zesty and tangy flavor to this recipe, you can omit them if you don’t have them on hand or if you prefer a milder taste. You can also use lime or grapefruit instead for a different twist.
– Mint: If you want to add a refreshing and aromatic note to this recipe, you can garnish it with fresh mint leaves or blend some mint leaves with the ingredients. You can also use basil, cilantro, or parsley instead for a herbaceous flavor.
– Crush mocktail: If you want to turn this recipe into a non-alcoholic drink, you can skip the ice cream and add more ice and soda
Serving and Pairing
The strawberry squash recipe is a versatile dish that can be served in various ways, depending on your preference. It makes for a refreshing drink on a hot summer day, but also pairs well with savory dishes like chicken kabobs or a light salad. Here are some ideas for serving and pairing your strawberry squash:
– As a Smoothie: This recipe makes a delicious and healthy smoothie, perfect for breakfast or a post-workout snack. Serve it in a tall glass with a straw and a spoonful of whipped cream on top for an extra treat.
– As a Mocktail or Cocktail: Add a splash of rum or vodka to your strawberry squash for a refreshing cocktail option. Or, skip the alcohol and make a mocktail by adding a splash of lemon-lime soda or sparkling water.
– With Savory Dishes: The sweet and tangy flavors in the strawberry squash make it a great pairing for savory dishes like grilled chicken kabobs or a light salad with a citrus dressing. The squash smoothie also pairs well with roasted butternut squash or yellow summer squash.
– As a Refreshing Drink: Serve the strawberry squash in a tall glass with ice and a sprig of fresh mint for a refreshing drink on a hot day. It also pairs well with other fruit-based dishes like a fruit salad or a strawberry soufflé.
Whether you’re serving the strawberry squash as a smoothie, mocktail, or refreshing drink, it’s sure to be a hit with your guests. Experiment with different pairings and find your favorite way to enjoy this delicious and versatile recipe.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
The strawberry squash recipe is a delicious and refreshing drink, perfect for summer. If you plan to make this recipe ahead of time, it is recommended to prepare the squash and strawberry crush separately, and then mix them together before serving. This way, you can store them separately in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To store the squash, let it cool to room temperature and then transfer it to an airtight container. You can keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you’re ready to serve, simply mix it with the strawberry crush and add ice.
The strawberry crush can also be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you prefer a smoother texture, you can blend it again before serving.
If you have leftovers of the prepared strawberry squash smoothie, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. However, it is recommended to consume it within 24 hours for the best flavor and texture.
To reheat the squash, you can use a microwave or a saucepan over medium heat. If using a microwave, place the squash in a microwave-safe container and heat for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until it reaches your desired temperature. If using a saucepan, simply heat the squash over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it is heated through.
In conclusion, the strawberry squash recipe is a great make-ahead drink, perfect for entertaining or just for a refreshing treat. With these storing and reheating tips, you can enjoy this delicious drink anytime you want!
Tips for Perfect Results
As a chef, I know that even the best recipes can go wrong if you don’t follow some basic rules. Here are some tips to help you achieve perfect results with this strawberry squash recipe.
Firstly, make sure you use fresh, ripe ingredients. This is particularly important for the strawberries, which are the star of the show. Choose berries that are plump, shiny, and fragrant. If you can’t find fresh strawberries, frozen ones will work fine, but make sure they’re not freezer-burnt.
Secondly, take care when blending the ingredients. Start with the liquids, then add the solids gradually. This will prevent the blender from getting clogged and ensure a smooth, creamy texture. If you’re using a high-speed blender, be careful not to over-blend, as this can cause the mixture to become too frothy.
Thirdly, adjust the sweetness to your taste. The recipe calls for a tablespoon of confectioners’ sugar, but you can use more or less depending on how sweet you like your drinks. Keep in mind that the strawberries themselves are already quite sweet, so you may not need much additional sugar.
Fourthly, experiment with different variations. This recipe is very versatile and can be modified in many ways. Try adding a splash of orange or lemon juice for some extra tang, or substitute the milk for coconut water for a tropical twist. You can also add some crushed ice to turn this drink into a refreshing smoothie.
Finally, serve your strawberry squash drink chilled or over ice. It’s the perfect beverage to cool you down on a hot summer day. This drink pairs well with roasted butternut squash, chicken kabobs or a fresh strawberry salad, and it also makes a great base for a fruit crush mocktail or cocktail.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create a delicious and refreshing strawberry squash drink that will impress your guests and satisfy your thirst. Cheers to a perfect result!
In conclusion, the Strawberry Squash Recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves a refreshing drink that packs a punch of flavor. The combination of butternut squash, strawberries, and other ingredients like lemon and orange juice creates a unique taste that is perfect for summer. This recipe is versatile, allowing for substitutions and variations to cater to your taste preferences.
Whether you choose to make a smoothie or a mocktail, this recipe will impress your guests and make for a perfect addition to any meal. Its refreshing taste pairs well with chicken kabobs or a strawberry salad. And if you’re feeling adventurous, you can even use it as a cocktail base to create a unique and flavorful drink.
With the tips and recommendations provided, you’ll be able to perfect this recipe and make it a staple in your kitchen. So, what are you waiting for? Grab your ingredients and make your own Strawberry Squash Recipe today!
Strawberry Squash Recipe
- 8 ounces strawberries (225 gm, fresh or frozen)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup strawberry ice cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk (See Note)
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, but zest & reserve same b4 juicing the lemon
- 1 orange, juice of
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 4 ice cubes (See Note)
- Halve strawberries & place in a bowl. Sprinkle w/the sugar, stir to combine & leave for 30 min for juice to be extracted.
- Using a blender or immersion blender, puree strawberries & juice created.
- Add ice cream, milk, lemon & orange juice, lemon zest + confectioner's sugar & blend till well-mixed.
- Pour into 4 glasses & add 1 ice cube to each glass.
- NOTE: I entered this recipe as written, but dislike a watered effect from ice cubes. So I freeze the milk in a freezer container as my 1st prep step. Using very cold milk w/ice crystals that often form means no ice cubes are needed when prep is done & you are ready to serve.
- VARIATION: Replace strawberries w/canned or fresh pineapple & use vanilla ice cream.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.