Welcome to my Rhubarb Crisp Recipe! Rhubarb has always been one of my favorite ingredients to work with, and this recipe is hands-down one of the best ways to showcase its sweet tartness. If you’re looking for a dessert that is easy to make, packed with flavor, and perfect for any occasion, then you’ve come to the right place.
As a chef, I believe that the best recipes are the ones that are both delicious and approachable. That’s why I created this Rhubarb Crisp Recipe with simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. This recipe is perfect for those who are new to baking or for those who want to make something quick and tasty.
Whether you’re looking for a dessert to impress your family or to bring to a party, this Rhubarb Crisp Recipe will not disappoint. The combination of sweet rhubarb and crunchy crisp topping is simply irresistible. So, let’s get started and make the best Rhubarb Crisp you’ve ever tasted!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Rhubarb Crisp is the perfect summer treat that you don’t want to miss out on. This delicious dessert is a combination of sweet and tart flavors that will leave your taste buds dancing with joy. Here are a few reasons why you’ll love this Rhubarb Crisp recipe.
Firstly, the ingredients used in this recipe are simple, affordable, and readily available in any grocery store. You only need a few basic ingredients such as rhubarb, sugar, flour, oats, and cinnamon to make this mouthwatering dessert. The combination of these ingredients results in a sweet and crunchy topping that complements the tartness of the rhubarb.
Secondly, this recipe is incredibly easy to make. All you have to do is mix the rhubarb with sugar and flour, then top it with a mixture of oats, flour, brown sugar, and melted butter. After that, you just pop it in the oven and wait for the magic to happen. In less than an hour, you’ll have a delicious dessert that will make your taste buds sing.
Thirdly, this recipe is versatile and can be modified to suit your preferences. If you’re looking for a fruitier flavor, you can add strawberries to the mix. The combination of rhubarb and strawberries results in a heavenly dessert that’s perfect for summer. You can also substitute the oats with crumbled biscuits or cake if you’re looking for a different texture.
Lastly, this recipe is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just craving something sweet, this Rhubarb Crisp recipe is perfect. It’s a crowd-pleaser that’s sure to impress your guests and leave them asking for more.
In conclusion, this Rhubarb Crisp recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves sweet and tart desserts. With its simple ingredients, easy preparation, versatility, and crowd-pleasing flavor, it’s no wonder why this dessert is a favorite among many. Give it a try and discover why it’s one of the best Rhubarb Crisp recipes out there.
Before starting, let’s gather all the ingredients we will need for this rhubarb crisp recipe. You may already have some of these ingredients at home. Here is what you need:
- 5 cups of sliced rhubarb (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 pound of strawberries (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 cups of oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter, melted
Note that this recipe yields the best results with fresh fruits. However, you can still use frozen rhubarb and strawberries as a substitute if fresh ones are not available in your area.
The Recipe How-To
Let’s get started on the rhubarb crisp recipe! This recipe is simple and easy to make, but it’s full of delicious flavor. In this section, I’ll be providing step-by-step instructions on how to make the perfect rhubarb crisp.
Step 1: Preheat Your Oven
First, you’ll need to preheat your oven to 350°F. This will give your oven enough time to heat up while you’re preparing the other ingredients.
Step 2: Prepare the Fruit Filling
For the fruit filling, you’ll need 5 cups of sliced rhubarb, 1 pound of strawberries, 1 cup of sugar, 3 tablespoons of cornstarch, and a pinch of salt and cinnamon. In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon. Mix everything together until the fruit is well-coated.
Step 3: Prepare the Crisp Topping
For the crisp topping, you’ll need 1 1/2 cups of flour, 1 1/2 cups of old-fashioned oats, 1 cup of packed light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/2 cup of melted butter. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Pour in the melted butter and mix everything together until the topping is crumbly.
Step 4: Combine the Fruit Filling and Crisp Topping
Next, pour the fruit filling into a 9×13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle the crisp topping evenly over the fruit filling.
Step 5: Bake the Rhubarb Crisp
Bake the rhubarb crisp in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the fruit filling is bubbly.
Step 6: Let the Rhubarb Crisp Cool
Once the rhubarb crisp is done baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. This will give the fruit filling time to set and the crisp topping time to cool down.
Step 7: Serve and Enjoy!
Finally, serve the rhubarb crisp warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Trust me, the combination of the sweet and tart fruit filling with the buttery crisp topping is absolutely delicious.
Substitutions and Variations
Looking to switch things up with your rhubarb crisp recipe? Here are some substitutions and variations to try out:
– Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp: Replace half of the rhubarb with fresh strawberries for a sweet and tart twist on the classic rhubarb crisp recipe.
– Apple Rhubarb Crisp: Swap out the strawberries in the strawberry rhubarb recipe for sliced apples. The combination of sweet apples and tart rhubarb is a match made in heaven.
– Gluten-Free Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp: Use certified gluten-free oats and a gluten-free flour blend in the topping to make this recipe gluten-free.
– Blueberry Rhubarb Crisp: Replace the strawberries in the recipe with fresh blueberries for a colorful and flavorful variation.
– Mixed Berry Rhubarb Crisp: Use a combination of fresh berries like blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries with rhubarb for a colorful and delicious twist on the classic recipe.
– Oatmeal Crumble Topping: Swap out the flour in the topping for more oatmeal for a heartier and more textured topping.
– Brown Sugar Cinnamon Topping: Add a teaspoon of cinnamon to the topping mixture and replace some of the granulated sugar with brown sugar for a warm and cozy twist.
No matter which variation you choose, the sweet and tart flavor of rhubarb combined with a buttery and crunchy topping is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Serving and Pairing
This rhubarb crisp recipe is the perfect dessert to share with your friends and family during any gathering or special occasion. The sweet-tart taste of rhubarb and the buttery crisp topping make it a versatile dessert that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with other items.
For serving, you can top the warm crisp with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. The contrast between the hot and cold temperatures will make your taste buds dance with joy. You can also serve it with a drizzle of caramel sauce or a sprinkle of cinnamon to enhance its flavor profile.
If you want to take your serving game to the next level, you can pair the rhubarb crisp with a cup of coffee or tea. The bitterness of the coffee or the tannins of the tea will balance out the sweetness of the dessert, creating a perfect harmony in your mouth. You can also pair it with a glass of milk or a scoop of yogurt for a healthier option.
This rhubarb crisp recipe is also versatile enough to be served for breakfast or brunch. You can serve it with a side of bacon, eggs, or sausages for a savory breakfast, or with a bowl of fresh fruits and yogurt for a lighter option. It also pairs well with a glass of orange juice, grapefruit juice, or a mimosa for a refreshing morning drink.
No matter how you choose to serve it, this rhubarb crisp recipe is sure to impress your guests and satisfy your sweet tooth. So, go ahead and indulge in this delicious dessert, and don’t forget to share it with your loved ones.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This Rhubarb Crisp recipe is an excellent dessert to make ahead of time for busy weeknights or entertaining guests. Once the crisp is fully baked and cooled, you can store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days. If you are making the crisp ahead of time, I suggest reheating it in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes to restore its crispness and warmth.
If you want to prepare the fruit filling ahead of time, you can slice the rhubarb and strawberries a day before and store them in separate containers in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to make the crisp, toss the fruit together with the sugar and cornstarch and proceed with the recipe.
If you have leftovers, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to three days. Keep in mind that the topping may lose some of its crispness when refrigerated, but you can still enjoy it by reheating it in the oven. Alternatively, you can microwave individual portions for a quick and easy dessert.
For those who prefer a gluten-free version of this recipe, you can substitute the all-purpose flour in the topping with gluten-free flour and use certified gluten-free oats. The result will be just as delicious and satisfying.
Overall, this Rhubarb Crisp recipe is a versatile dessert that you can make ahead of time and store easily. Whether you’re entertaining guests or simply want to enjoy a sweet treat on a weeknight, this recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings for a sweet and tangy dessert.
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you know how to make a delicious rhubarb crisp, let me share with you some tips for perfect results:
1. Use the best rhubarb you can find: For the best rhubarb crisp, you need the best rhubarb. Look for firm, crisp stalks that are bright red or pink in color. Avoid rhubarb that is limp or has brown spots.
2. Sweeten the rhubarb: Rhubarb is naturally tart, so it needs to be sweetened in order to balance out the flavor. Mix together the rhubarb, sugar, and flour before adding it to the baking dish.
3. Don’t skimp on the crisp topping: The topping is what makes the rhubarb crisp so delicious. Make sure to mix together enough flour, oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon to fully cover the fruit.
4. Preheat the oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) or 375°F (190°C) before placing the baking dish inside. This will ensure that the rhubarb cooks evenly and the topping turns golden brown.
5. Use melted butter: Melted butter is the key to making a buttery and crumbly crisp topping. Mix the melted butter with the dry ingredients until it forms a crumbly mixture.
6. Try different variations: While rhubarb crisp is delicious on its own, you can also try adding other fruits like strawberries or apples to the mix. Experiment with different combinations until you find your perfect recipe.
7. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream: A warm rhubarb crisp pairs perfectly with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. This adds a creamy and sweet contrast to the tartness of the rhubarb.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to make the best rhubarb crisp every time. Don’t be afraid to experiment and make it your own!
In conclusion, this rhubarb crisp recipe is a must-try for any dessert lover. It’s sweet and tart, topped with a buttery and crunchy crisp topping that will make your taste buds dance. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also easy to make and can be customized to fit your preferences. Whether you’re looking for a classic rhubarb crisp recipe or want to switch it up with a strawberry rhubarb twist, this recipe has got you covered. So, don’t hesitate to give it a try and impress your family and friends with the best rhubarb crisp they’ve ever tasted. Trust me; they’ll be begging for the recipe!
Rhubarb Crisp Recipe
- 8 cups rhubarb
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Mix rhubarb, sugar and flour, place in 9 x 13 pan.
- Mix remaining ingredients, sprinkle on top of rhubarb mixture.
- Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.