Welcome to my pizza dough and sauce recipe article! I’m excited to share with you my go-to recipe for making delicious homemade pizza. There’s nothing quite like a fresh, hot pizza straight from the oven, and this recipe will help you achieve the perfect pizza every time.
Making pizza from scratch might seem intimidating at first, but trust me, it’s easier than you think. There’s something special about creating your own pizza dough and sauce, and the end result is always worth the effort. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a beginner in the kitchen, this recipe is perfect for you.
Once you’ve tried this recipe, you’ll never want to go back to store-bought pizza again. With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time, you can make a pizza that’s better than any delivery or frozen pizza out there. So, let’s get started on making the perfect pizza dough and sauce that will leave your taste buds begging for more.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you a pizza lover looking for an easy and delicious homemade pizza recipe? Look no further! This pizza dough and sauce recipe is sure to become your go-to for a perfect pizza every time.
What sets this recipe apart is the combination of ingredients used to create a crispy and chewy crust that will leave you wanting more. The addition of parmesan cheese, olive oil, and oregano to the dough gives it a unique flavor that will make your taste buds dance with joy.
And let’s talk about the sauce. The homemade pizza sauce is made with tomato paste, red wine, and Italian seasoning, giving it a rich and savory taste that will take your pizza to the next level. It’s so good, you’ll want to use it on everything from pasta to chicken parmesan.
Not only is this recipe easy to follow, but it can also be customized to your liking. Add your favorite toppings like pepperoni, tomato, or even pineapple, and you’ll have a pizza that’s better than any delivery you could order.
Plus, making your own pizza at home is a fun and rewarding experience. You’ll impress your family and friends with your culinary skills and enjoy the satisfaction of creating a perfect pizza from scratch.
So why not give this recipe a try? You’ll love the taste, the ease of preparation, and the ability to customize it to your liking. It’s the perfect recipe for a fun night in with family and friends, or a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make the perfect pizza dough and sauce:
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 packet (or 2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (between 110°F and 115°F)
- 2 cans (each 14 ounces) tomato sauce or tomato puree
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup red wine (optional)
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Note that these ingredients make enough dough and sauce for two 12-inch pizzas. If you’re making more, just double the recipe.
The Recipe How-To
Making the Dough
Step 1: In a large bowl, mix together 4 cups of bread flour and 1 teaspoon of salt.
Step 2: In a separate bowl, dissolve 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 packet of yeast into 2 cups of warm water.
Step 3: Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and stir until the dough comes together.
Step 4: Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until it becomes smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
Step 5: Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about an hour, or until it has doubled in size.
Making the Sauce
Step 1: In a medium bowl, mix together 1 can of tomato paste, 2 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of oregano, and 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
Step 2: If you prefer a smoother sauce, you can blend it in a food processor or blender until it reaches your desired consistency.
Putting it All Together
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 450°F.
Step 2: Roll out the pizza dough on a floured surface to your desired thickness.
Step 3: Transfer the dough to a greased pizza pan or baking sheet.
Step 4: Spread the sauce evenly over the dough, leaving a small border around the edges.
Step 5: Add your desired toppings, such as cheese, pepperoni, tomatoes, or any other vegetables or meats.
Step 6: Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Step 7: Remove from the oven, let it cool for a few minutes, then slice and serve.
Enjoy your homemade pizza with perfect pizza dough and sauce recipe!
Substitutions and Variations
While this pizza dough and sauce recipe is already perfect as it is, it’s always fun to experiment with different flavors and ingredients. Here are some substitutions and variations you can try to put your own spin on this recipe:
– Gluten-free: You can replace the bread flour with a gluten-free flour blend or use almond flour for a nutty flavor.
– Margherita pizza: Top your pizza with sliced fresh tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil leaves for a classic Italian margherita pizza.
– Pepperoni pizza: Add slices of pepperoni on top of your pizza for a classic American-style pizza.
– New York-style pizza: Use a tomato sauce made with tomato puree instead of tomato paste for a thinner and tangier sauce.
– Marinara sauce: Replace the tomato paste with canned crushed tomatoes and add garlic, onion, and Italian seasoning for a flavorful marinara sauce.
– Pasta sauce: Use your homemade pizza sauce as a pasta sauce for a quick and easy dinner.
– Cheesy crust: Brush the edges of your pizza dough with a mixture of olive oil, parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning before baking for a cheesy and flavorful crust.
– Red wine sauce: Add 1/2 cup of red wine to your pizza sauce for a deeper and richer flavor.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. Feel free to experiment and come up with your own variations to put your personal touch on this easy and delicious pizza recipe.
Serving and Pairing
Now that you have made the perfect pizza dough and sauce, it is time to serve and pair it with your favorite toppings and sides. The beauty of homemade pizza is that you can customize it to your liking. Whether you prefer a classic margherita pizza or a loaded pepperoni pizza, the options are endless.
To achieve the best results, preheat your oven to 450°F and place the pizza on a baking sheet or pizza stone. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Pair your homemade pizza with a refreshing salad, such as a Caesar salad or a mixed greens salad with balsamic vinaigrette. You can also serve it with a side of garlic bread or breadsticks brushed with garlic butter and sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
If you are looking to elevate your pizza experience, pair it with a glass of red wine like a Chianti or a Cabernet Sauvignon. The acidity of the tomato sauce and the richness of the cheese complement the bold flavors of the wine.
For a non-alcoholic option, serve your pizza with a cold glass of soda or a homemade lemonade. The sweetness of the drink will balance out the savory flavors of the pizza.
Whether you are enjoying a casual night in with friends or hosting a dinner party, homemade pizza is a crowd-pleaser that everyone will love. So put on some music, pour yourself a drink, and enjoy your delicious homemade pizza.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about making homemade pizza is that you can prepare the dough and sauce ahead of time, and store them in the fridge or freezer until you’re ready to use them. This can save you a lot of time if you’re planning a pizza night with friends or family.
To make the pizza dough ahead of time, simply follow the recipe instructions and let the dough rise for about an hour. Once the dough has risen, you can place it in an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours. If you want to store the dough for longer, you can freeze it for up to 3 months. To thaw the dough, simply transfer it to the fridge and let it thaw overnight.
As for the pizza sauce, you can make it ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to a week. If you want to store it for longer, you can freeze it for up to 3 months. To thaw the sauce, simply transfer it to the fridge and let it thaw overnight.
To reheat the pizza, preheat your oven to 425°F. Place the pizza on a baking sheet or pizza stone and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the crust is crispy and the cheese is melted. If you’re reheating a single slice, you can use a toaster oven or microwave instead.
If you have leftover pizza, you can store it in the fridge for up to 4 days. To reheat the pizza, you can use the same method as above or heat it in a skillet on the stove until the crust is crispy and the cheese is melted.
With these make-ahead, storing and reheating tips, you can enjoy homemade pizza anytime you want without the hassle of making everything from scratch every time.
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you have the recipe for the perfect pizza dough and sauce, it’s time to talk about some tips and tricks to ensure your pizza comes out perfectly every time.
1. Use high-quality ingredients: The key to a delicious pizza is using high-quality ingredients. Use fresh vegetables, high-quality cheese, and a good olive oil to elevate the flavors of your pizza.
2. Preheat your oven: Preheat your oven to the highest temperature possible for at least 30 minutes before baking your pizza. This will ensure a crispy crust and evenly cooked toppings.
3. Stretch your dough evenly: When stretching your dough, make sure to do it evenly to avoid thin spots that may burn during baking. Take your time and use a rolling pin if necessary.
4. Use parchment paper: To avoid sticking, use parchment paper to line your baking sheet or pizza stone. This will make it easier to transfer your pizza to the oven and prevent it from sticking.
5. Don’t overload your pizza: While it may be tempting to load up your pizza with toppings, be careful not to overload it. Too many toppings can make the pizza soggy and prevent the crust from crisping up.
6. Experiment with different sauces and toppings: While classic tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese make a delicious pizza, don’t be afraid to experiment with different sauces and toppings. Try pesto sauce, caramelized onions, or even pineapple for a unique twist.
7. Let your pizza rest before cutting: After baking your pizza, let it rest for a few minutes before cutting into it. This will allow the cheese to set and prevent the toppings from sliding off.
8. Get creative with presentation: Don’t forget to have fun with your pizza presentation. Add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, a drizzle of olive oil, or a sprinkle of fresh herbs to make your pizza look as good as it tastes.
By following these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to make the perfect pizza every time.
Now that you have all the information on this delicious pizza dough and sauce recipe, it’s time to clear up any questions you may have. In this section, we’ll go through some frequently asked questions to ensure that you can make the perfect homemade pizza every time. So, let’s get started!
Do you cook pizza dough before adding sauce?
When it comes to making the perfect pizza, there’s a crucial step that you don’t want to skip: pre-baking the dough. It’s important to give the dough a head start in the oven for about 5-6 minutes before you add your toppings. This will help ensure that the crust is crispy and cooked through. Once you’ve added your desired toppings and pizza sauce, return the pizza to the oven to finish baking to perfection. This extra step will make a world of difference in the final product.
What do you put on pizza dough before the sauce?
Alright, here’s the lowdown on making a scrumptious pizza. Firstly, give your rolled out dough a nice, gentle brush with some olive oil and then sprinkle some garlic salt over it. To avoid any air pockets, grab a fork and poke some holes in the crust. Next, we’re going to spread the pizza sauce directly onto the unbaked dough. Of course, you can add as much cheese as you’d like. Don’t be shy, sprinkle it on! And if you’re feeling extra cheesy, add more on top of your toppings.
What is pizza with just sauce called?
Pizza marinara is a classic Neapolitan dish that has been enjoyed for centuries. Unlike pizza margherita, it doesn’t have any cheese on top. Instead, it’s made with a simple combination of tomato sauce, sliced garlic, and oregano. This tasty pizza has a rich history and is believed to have originated in Naples as early as the mid-1700s.
How much sauce do you put on pizza dough?
When preparing a 12-inch pizza, it’s best to use about half a cup of pizza sauce. Adding more than that amount may lead to a soggy crust, which we definitely want to avoid. This way, we can ensure that the sauce complements the toppings and the crust without overpowering them.
In conclusion, making your own pizza dough and sauce is an easy and rewarding experience that will elevate your homemade pizza game to the next level. With the right ingredients and techniques, you can create the perfect pizza crust and sauce that will impress your family and friends without breaking the bank. By using the tips and recommendations provided in this article, you can customize your pizza to your liking, whether it’s a classic Margherita, a pepperoni pizza, or an Italian-style pizza with cheese and tomato toppings. With the perfect combination of flour, yeast, tomato paste, olive oil, and spices, you can create a pizza that rivals the best pizzerias in New York City! So what are you waiting for? Grab your apron and get ready to make the best pizza of your life!
Pizza Dough and Sauce Recipe
- 3/4 tablespoon yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 cups flour (we prefer half white, half wheat)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine or 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water (I add a pinch of sugar) and allow to set until it begins to foam, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt, oil and half of flour. Gradually add remaining flour, mixing well.
- Knead 8-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl and let rise until double (1/2-1 hour) Punch down and let rise again until double. Punch down and divide. Pat out on two pizza pans.
- Top with pizza sauce & toppings. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Pizza Sauce: Mix all ingredients together, blending well. (You can also add a few sprinkles of garlic powder if you want).
- Makes enough for two 12- or14-inch pizzas or one thick 16-inch pizza.
- Top with meats, cheese and other toppings.
- To freeze, prepared pizza method: double wrap and freeze the prepared pizza (without baking it) on the pizza pan. Unwrap and bake the frozen pizza at 400Â°F for about 22 minutes.
- Alternative freezing method: after first punch down of dough, divide dough and place in a zip-loc bag and place in the freezer. To prepare, remove from freezer and place in a greased bowl. The dough will take about 8-10 hours to thaw and raise slightly. Pat out on grease pizza pan and proceed as directed above. I also freeze half the sauce in a small container for future use.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.