Welcome to my French-style Pizza Crust recipe! I’m excited to share this recipe with all you pizza lovers out there. This crust is inspired by the traditional French bread recipe, which gives it a unique and delicious flavor.
Making your own pizza dough may seem intimidating, but trust me, it’s worth it. The satisfaction of biting into a homemade pizza is unbeatable. Plus, you get to customize it with your favorite toppings – the possibilities are endless!
This pizza crust recipe is versatile and easy to make. You can use it for a classic Margherita pizza or get creative with toppings like anchovies, onions, and olives for a French-style pizza.
With just a few simple ingredients, you can make a pizza crust that’s crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. I’ll guide you through the process step-by-step, so don’t worry if you’re a beginner in the kitchen.
So, grab your apron and get ready to impress your family and friends with a delicious homemade pizza.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you tired of the same old pizza crust? Look no further! This French-style pizza crust will take your pizza game to the next level. The crust is crispy, yet soft and chewy on the inside, providing the perfect base for all your favorite toppings.
This pizza crust is not only versatile but also easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients such as flour, water, yeast, salt, sugar, and olive oil, you can make a delicious French-style pizza crust in no time. The recipe is straightforward, and even if you’re not an experienced baker, you can master it quickly.
One of the best things about this French-style pizza crust is that it’s customizable to your taste preferences. You can add cornmeal to the dough to give it a bit of crunch, or you can substitute bread flour for all-purpose flour to make it chewier. You can even add some herbs and spices to the dough to enhance the flavors further.
Not only is this French-style pizza crust perfect for traditional pizza toppings, but it’s also great for more unique toppings like pissaladière, a French pizza with caramelized onions and anchovies. The crust’s crispy texture and slight sweetness pair perfectly with the savory toppings, making it an excellent choice for a French-inspired pizza night.
Overall, this French-style pizza crust is a must-try for anyone who loves pizza. Its versatility, simplicity, and unique flavor make it stand out from the traditional pizza crusts. Once you try it, you’ll never want to go back to the same old pizza crust again.
Let’s dive into the list of ingredients that will help you make the perfect French-style pizza crust. Bold ingredients are essential to the recipe, while the others can be substituted or adjusted to your liking.
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 packages dry yeast (3 1/2 tsp)
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Cornmeal (for dusting)
- 1 tsp sugar (for proofing yeast)
- All-purpose flour (for dusting)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (for greasing)
- 1 tbsp sugar (for slightly sweeter crust)
- Simply potatoes (for a potato crust)
- Pizza toppings (for flavor)
Make sure to have all your ingredients ready before starting the recipe to avoid any hassle during the process.
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s dive into the recipe and learn how to make this delicious French-style pizza crust.
For this recipe, you will need:
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp cornmeal (for dusting)
In a large mixing bowl, combine 4 cups of bread flour, 1 tsp of salt, 2 tsp of dry yeast, and 1 tsp of sugar. Mix well.
Add 1 1/2 cups of lukewarm water and 1 tbsp of olive oil to the bowl. Mix all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together.
Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead it for about 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover it with a damp cloth or plastic wrap, and let it rest for about 1 hour until it doubles in size.
Preheat your oven to 425°F.
Once the dough has risen, punch it down and divide it into two equal parts. Roll each part into a ball and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Dust a baking sheet with 2 tbsp of cornmeal. Place one of the dough balls on the sheet and flatten it with your hands, working from the center outwards to create a thin, round crust.
Add your desired toppings to the pizza crust, leaving a small border around the edges.
Bake the pizza for 12-15 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Repeat the process with the second dough ball to make another pizza.
Serve hot and enjoy your delicious French-style pizza!
Tips for Perfect Results
- Use bread flour instead of all-purpose flour for a chewier and more flavorful crust.
- Be sure to knead the dough long enough to activate the gluten and create a stretchy crust.
- Let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free place to ensure it doubles in size.
- Don’t overload the pizza with too many toppings, or it may become soggy.
- Use a pizza stone or a baking sheet dusted with cornmeal to prevent the crust from sticking to the pan and to create a crispy crust.
Now that you know how to make this French-style pizza crust, give it a try and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills!
Substitutions and Variations
While this French-style pizza crust recipe is delicious as is, there are a few substitutions and variations you can try to mix things up.
– Flour: You can use all-purpose flour or bread flour for this recipe, but you can also experiment with different types of flour, like whole wheat or spelt, for a different flavor and texture. Keep in mind that using different types of flour may require adjustments in the amount of water or yeast used.
– Yeast: If you don’t have dry yeast on hand, you can use fresh yeast instead. You can also try making a sourdough pizza crust using a sourdough starter instead of yeast. Keep in mind that making a sourdough crust may require additional time and effort.
– Sugar: If you prefer a sweeter crust, you can add more sugar to the recipe. Alternatively, you can use honey or maple syrup instead of sugar for a different flavor.
– Toppings: This crust is versatile and can be used for any pizza topping of your choice. However, if you want to stick with the French theme, you can try a pissaladière French pizza with caramelized onions, anchovies, and olives, or a French bread pizza with butter, garlic, and sliced onions.
– Cooking Methods: While this recipe calls for baking the crust in the oven, you can also try grilling the crust for a crispy, smoky flavor. Another option is to use this crust recipe for a New York-style pizza, Flammkuchen, or even as a sourdough bread pizza.
Overall, don’t be afraid to experiment with different substitutions and variations to find what works best for you. Just keep in mind that some adjustments may require additional time, effort, or ingredients.
Serving and Pairing
Once your French-style pizza crust is baked to perfection, it’s time to start thinking about the delicious toppings you’ll be adding. The beauty of this crust is that it can hold up to a variety of toppings, from classic margherita to more adventurous options like goat cheese and caramelized onions.
One classic French pizza is the pissaladière, which is topped with caramelized onions, anchovies, and olives. For a more traditional approach, try topping your pizza with slices of fresh mozzarella, tomato sauce, and fresh basil. The crust has a crispy exterior and tender interior, perfect for supporting the flavorful toppings.
When it comes to pairing, a French-style pizza pairs well with a light, refreshing salad. A simple arugula salad with lemon vinaigrette is a great accompaniment to the rich and savory flavors of the pizza. A glass of red wine, such as a Pinot Noir or a Beaujolais, can also be a great match.
Alternatively, you can opt for a white wine, such as a Chardonnay or a Sauvignon Blanc, to pair with your pizza. The light and crisp flavors of the white wine can help balance out the richness of the pizza toppings.
Overall, a French-style pizza is a versatile dish that can be customized to your liking. Whether you prefer classic toppings or something more adventurous, this pizza crust is the perfect base for your culinary creations.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Making pizza crust ahead of time is a great way to save time when you’re ready to make your pizza. You can make the dough up to a day ahead and store it in the fridge, or even freeze it for later use. To store the dough in the fridge, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container. When you’re ready to use it, let it come to room temperature before shaping it into a crust.
If you’ve already made your pizza and have leftovers, you can store them in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just make sure to wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or place them in an airtight container to keep them fresh. When you’re ready to reheat your pizza, you can either use the oven or the microwave. To reheat in the oven, preheat it to 375°F (190°C) and place the pizza on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crust is crispy. To reheat in the microwave, place the pizza on a microwave-safe plate and heat it for 30-60 seconds, or until the cheese is melted and the crust is heated through.
If you’re looking for a way to store your pizza for longer than 3 days, you can freeze it instead. To freeze your pizza, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or foil and place it in a freezer-safe container. When you’re ready to eat it, let it thaw in the fridge overnight, then reheat it using the same methods as above.
Overall, making pizza crust ahead of time and storing leftovers is a great way to save time and reduce waste. With these simple storage and reheating tips, you can enjoy delicious French-style pizza crust whenever you want!
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve the perfect French-style pizza crust, here are some helpful tips to keep in mind.
Firstly, use high-quality ingredients. Good flour, olive oil, and dry yeast are key players in creating a delicious crust. Be sure to measure your ingredients accurately, as even a small deviation can affect the final outcome.
Secondly, make sure your dough has ample time to rise. It’s best to allow the dough to rest in a warm, draft-free area for at least an hour. This allows the yeast to activate and the dough to rise, resulting in a light and airy crust.
Thirdly, when rolling out the dough, sprinkle some cornmeal onto your work surface. This prevents the dough from sticking and adds a nice texture to the crust. Be sure to roll the dough out evenly, so that it bakes evenly.
Fourthly, preheat your oven to a high temperature. A hot oven ensures that the crust bakes quickly, resulting in a crispy exterior and a tender interior. A pizza stone or a baking sheet preheated in the oven can also help achieve an even bake.
Fifthly, consider adding some flavor to your crust. Brushing the crust with olive oil and sprinkling it with salt or garlic can add a delicious depth of flavor. Alternatively, try adding some fresh herbs or grated Parmesan cheese to the dough before baking.
Lastly, don’t be afraid to experiment with different toppings and variations. French-style pizza crust is versatile and can be topped with anything from classic tomato sauce and mozzarella to the traditional French pissaladière with onions and anchovies. Have fun with it and enjoy the delicious results!
In conclusion, this French-style pizza crust recipe is a must-try for any pizza lover. Its unique combination of ingredients and method of preparation will leave your taste buds wanting more. Plus, with the added bonus of being able to make it ahead of time and store it for future use, this recipe is perfect for busy weeknights or entertaining guests.
Whether you’re a fan of the classic pissaladière French pizza, or you want to put your own twist on the recipe with different toppings and variations, this crust will provide the perfect base for your creations. The use of cornmeal and olive oil in the crust gives it a distinct flavor and texture that sets it apart from traditional pizza dough recipes.
So, why settle for store-bought pizza crusts or bland homemade dough when you can elevate your pizza game with this French-style pizza crust recipe? Give it a try and impress your friends and family with your culinary skills. Trust me, once you taste the difference, you’ll never go back to ordinary pizza crusts again.
Pizza Crust ( French-Style) Recipe
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 3 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 9 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- cornmeal (optional)
- olive oil
- Add sugar to water. Dissolve yeast in water.
- Add 4 cups flour and salt.
- Beat well with wooden spoon.
- Add the rest of the flour one cup at a time.
- When dough starts to pull away from the side of the bowl, turn out on floured board and knead until smooth.
- Place dough in a bowl that has been oiled w/ olive oil.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Cut into two portions and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Pat or roll out in pans.
- I use 15 1/2 by 10 1/2 jelly roll pans.
- Sprinkle edges of crust with cornmeal if you like.
- Spread with your favorite sauce, cheeses and topping.
- Most pizza is cooked on high heat 500°F+ for 15-20 minutes until cheese in the middle is bubbly and the bottom of the crust is browned.
- A hint-- Pizza cooks from the outside in so don't overload the middle of the pizza too much-- and have the cheese,sauce and toppings go right to the edge.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.