Delicious Red Chicken: A Comforting Family Recipe
Welcome to my mom’s “Red Chicken” recipe! This is a dish that has been passed down through generations in my family and has become a staple in our household. It is a delicious and flavorful chicken dish that is perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a family dinner or a potluck with friends.
This recipe is soooo delicious that it will make your taste buds dance with joy! The combination of spices and aromatics used in this dish creates a mouth-watering flavor that is sure to impress even the most discerning of palates.
In this article, I will be sharing with you my mom’s recipe for Red Chicken, along with some tips and tricks to help you perfect your dish. Whether you are an experienced chef or a beginner, this recipe is easy to follow and will result in a dish that is sure to impress.
So, grab your apron and let’s get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for a recipe that is soooo delicious and comforting, yet easy to make? Look no further than my mom’s famous “Red Chicken” recipe. This chicken recipe has been passed down through generations and is a family favorite. Trust me, once you make this dish, it will become a staple in your home as well.
One of the best things about this recipe is its versatility. You can make it in an instant pot, pressure cooker, or even braise it. The flavors are always amazing, and it is perfect for any occasion, from a quick weeknight dinner to a special family gathering.
The combination of ginger, garlic, and spices like thyme and cumin create a warm and inviting aroma, while the tomato paste and red wine vinegar add a tangy and zesty flavor that perfectly complements the tender and juicy chicken thighs. And if you love a little kick, the recipe can easily be adjusted to your taste by adding more or less of the red chili powder.
This chicken curry is also incredibly healthy, as it calls for nonfat plain yogurt instead of cream, making it a guilt-free indulgence. And the addition of fresh parsley at the end gives it a pop of color and freshness that elevates the dish to a whole new level.
So, whether you’re in the mood for chicken enchiladas, chicken cacciatore, or even chicken chili, this recipe is the perfect base for any variation. It’s easy, delicious, and will quickly become a family favorite. Trust me, your taste buds will thank you!
Before we start cooking, let’s gather all the ingredients we need for this soooo delicious “Red Chicken” recipe. Here’s what you’ll need:
For the Chicken Marinade:
- 2 lbs skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp olive oil
For the Red Sauce:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Nonfat plain yogurt
Note: You can adjust the amount of red chili powder to your liking, depending on how spicy you prefer your chicken to be.
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s get started on making my Mom’s famous “Red Chicken” recipe. This is a dish that is near and dear to my heart, and I’m excited to share it with you all. This recipe makes enough for 4-6 people, so it’s perfect for a family dinner or for meal prep.
- First, turn on your Instant Pot or pressure cooker on the “sauté” function. Add olive oil to the pot and let it heat up for a minute.
- Add chopped onions to the pot and sauté for 2-3 minutes until they become translucent.
- Add sliced mushrooms to the pot and sauté for another 2-3 minutes until they become tender.
- Add tomato paste, thyme, salt, and black pepper to the pot and stir well.
- Add chicken thighs to the pot and stir well, making sure each piece is coated in the tomato and onion mixture.
- Add water to the pot and stir well.
- Secure the lid on your Instant Pot or pressure cooker and set it to “high pressure” for 15 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then use the quick release to release any remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and add nonfat plain yogurt to the pot. Stir well.
- Press the “sauté” function on your Instant Pot or pressure cooker and let the sauce cook for 2-3 minutes until it thickens slightly.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle fresh parsley on top of the chicken.
Substitutions and Variations
If you’re feeling adventurous in the kitchen, there are plenty of ways to switch up this classic “Red Chicken” recipe. Here are some substitutions and variations to try:
– Vegetarian Version: Replace the chicken thighs with mushrooms and onions for a hearty and flavorful vegetarian option. You can also try adding chickpeas or tofu for extra protein.
– Instant Pot Version: Want to make this recipe even faster? Use an Instant Pot or pressure cooker to cook the chicken and sauce in one pot. Follow the same instructions for browning the chicken and sautéing the onions and mushrooms, then add the remaining ingredients and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Quick release the pressure and serve.
– Thai Red Curry Version: For a spicy and aromatic twist, add a few tablespoons of Thai red curry paste to the sauce mixture. You can also use coconut milk instead of yogurt for a creamier texture.
– Goan Chicken Version: Add a teaspoon of Goan red masala powder to the sauce mixture for a rich and flavorful Goan-style chicken curry.
– Grilled Chicken Version: Instead of cooking the chicken in a pot or Instant Pot, grill the chicken thighs until charred and juicy. Serve with the red sauce on top.
– Cranberry Chicken Version: Add a cup of fresh or frozen cranberries to the sauce mixture for a tangy and sweet flavor. This is perfect for a festive holiday dinner.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different spices and ingredients to create your own unique version of this classic “Red Chicken” recipe.
Serving and Pairing
What’s great about my mom’s “Red Chicken” recipe is that it’s versatile and pairs well with a variety of sides. You can serve it over rice or noodles, or with a side of roasted vegetables. The options are endless!
For a classic and comforting meal, I recommend serving the red chicken over a bed of fluffy white rice. The rice will soak up all the delicious flavors of the sauce and make for a satisfying and filling meal. You can also try pairing it with noodles, such as egg noodles or udon noodles, for a heartier dish.
If you’re looking for a healthier option, try serving the red chicken with a side of roasted or steamed vegetables. Broccoli, cauliflower, and green beans all pair well with the bold flavors of the dish. You can also try a side salad with fresh greens and a light vinaigrette to balance out the richness of the chicken.
For a more exotic twist, try serving the red chicken with a side of naan bread or pita bread. The bread will help soak up the sauce and add a delicious texture to the dish. You can also try pairing it with a side of hummus or tzatziki sauce for a Mediterranean-inspired meal.
No matter how you choose to serve it, my mom’s “Red Chicken” recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. It’s a versatile dish that can be customized to your liking, and pairs well with a variety of sides. So go ahead, get creative, and enjoy this delicious and flavorful meal!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the things I love about my mom’s “Red Chicken” recipe is that it’s perfect for making ahead and reheating later. This recipe is ideal for meal prepping, saving you time and energy during the busy week.
To make ahead, prepare the recipe as instructed and let it cool to room temperature. Then, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days or in the freezer for up to three months. When you’re ready to enjoy it, simply reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop until heated through.
When reheating, make sure to stir occasionally to ensure even heating. If the sauce has thickened too much, you can add a splash of chicken broth or water to thin it out.
One thing to keep in mind is that the chicken may become a bit dry when reheated. To prevent this, make sure to store the chicken in the sauce so that it stays moist. You can also add a bit of nonfat plain yogurt to the sauce to add some creaminess and moisture.
Overall, my mom’s “Red Chicken” recipe is perfect for meal prepping and reheating. With a bit of planning, you can have a delicious and healthy meal ready to go in no time!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you’ve got the hang of my mom’s delicious “Red Chicken” recipe, let’s talk about some tips and tricks to make sure you get perfect results every time.
1. Don’t skimp on the spices: The combination of thyme, ginger, garlic, and curry powder is what gives this dish its unique flavor. Make sure to use fresh herbs and quality spices for the best taste.
2. Use skinless chicken thighs: Chicken thighs are the best cut of meat for this dish. They’re tender and flavorful, and their higher fat content helps keep the meat moist during cooking.
3. Brown the chicken: Don’t skip the step of browning the chicken before adding it to the pot. This extra step adds depth and richness to the dish.
4. Let the Instant Pot do the work: If you’re using an Instant Pot, make sure to follow the instructions carefully. Don’t be tempted to release the pressure manually, as this can result in overcooked meat.
5. Adjust the seasoning to your taste: This recipe calls for a moderate amount of spice, but feel free to adjust the heat level to your liking. Add more curry powder or red pepper flakes if you like things spicy, or dial it back if you prefer a milder flavor.
6. Serve with fresh parsley and yogurt: The fresh parsley adds a pop of color and flavor to the dish, while the nonfat plain yogurt helps balance out the heat. Serve it on the side or spoon it over the top of the chicken.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create a perfectly seasoned and tender “Red Chicken” dish every time. So go ahead, give it a try and impress your friends and family with this delicious meal!
In conclusion, my mom’s “Red Chicken” recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves flavorful and aromatic dishes. This recipe is not only easy to make, but it is also versatile enough to be adapted to different preferences and occasions. Whether you are cooking for a family dinner or a special event, this dish is sure to impress your guests.
With its blend of spices and ingredients like fresh parsley, onion, mushrooms, and tomato paste, this recipe delivers a mouth-watering taste that will leave you craving for more. You can also experiment with different variations and substitutions to create your own unique twist on this classic dish.
So, don’t hesitate to give this recipe a try and see for yourself why it is a family favorite. Whether you use an Instant Pot or a pressure cooker, follow the recipe steps carefully, and don’t forget to pair it with your favorite side dishes for a complete meal. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed with the results.
Finally, I hope this recipe article has inspired you to explore new culinary horizons and try new dishes. Remember, cooking is not just about feeding your body, but also nourishing your soul with the joy of creating something delicious and satisfying. So, keep experimenting, keep learning, and keep enjoying the wonderful world of food. Happy cooking!
My Mom’s “Red Chicken” Recipe
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- In a large pan (large enough to hold all the chicken in one layer, along with some sauce), brown the chicken in the oil. If you have a non-stick pan, you can omit the oil.
- While the chicken is browning (or before), mix the tomato paste with the liquid from the canned mushrooms. Add more water if necessary — the goal is to be able to pour the sauce, though it should still be pretty thick. (If you want to use fresh mushrooms, then you can just use water for this step.).
- Sprinkle the chicken with the thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Cover the chicken with the chopped onions.
- Pour the tomato/liquid mixture on top of everything. Mix things together as well as you can. At this point it might seem like you won’t have enough tomato sauce, but as the chicken and onions cook, they’ll release their liquids and you’ll have more sauce.
- Cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes. Uncover occasionally to shift things around, flip the chicken over, and pour the sauce over the chicken. Add water as needed (but it might not be needed at all).
- If you’re using fresh mushrooms instead of canned, sauté them in a separate skillet.
- When chicken is cooked, reduce the heat so that the sauce is no longer simmering. Add the yogurt, mushrooms, and parsley. Stir until everything is blended and warm.
- Serve over rice (we use brown rice) — you’ll definitely want something to soak up all the yummy sauce!
YOUR OWN NOTES
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.