Welcome to my kitchen, where I’ll be sharing with you my beloved family recipe for Italian Knife-And-Fork Soup. This soup is a hearty and flavorful meal that will warm your soul and satisfy your hunger. It’s a soup that’s perfect for a chilly evening or a lazy Sunday afternoon.
As an Italian chef, I grew up with this soup being a staple in my family’s kitchen. It’s a dish that’s been passed down through generations, and it’s become a symbol of comfort and love for my family.
The soup’s name, Italian Knife-And-Fork Soup, comes from the fact that the chunky vegetables, sausage, and croutons make it necessary to use both a knife and fork to eat it. The soup is also known as Italian Wedding Soup or Zuppa Toscana.
This soup is a one-pot meal that’s easy to make, and it’s perfect for feeding a crowd. It’s also a recipe that’s easily customizable to suit your preferences, whether you want to make it spicier, add more vegetables, or make it vegetarian.
So, grab your knife and fork, and let’s get started on making this delicious soup that’s sure to become a favorite in your home too.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Looking for a delicious and hearty soup that is perfect for chilly days? Look no further than this Italian Knife-And-Fork Soup Recipe! This soup is packed with bold flavors and textures that will keep you coming back for more. Here are a few reasons why you’ll love this recipe:
Firstly, this recipe is incredibly versatile. You can customize it to your liking by adding your favorite vegetables or swapping out the type of sausage used. This recipe is perfect for using up any leftover vegetables in your fridge, which not only makes it budget-friendly but also reduces food waste.
Secondly, this soup is a one-pot wonder that comes together in under an hour. It’s the perfect meal to make on a busy weeknight or when you’re craving a comforting bowl of soup. Plus, the leftovers keep well in the fridge or freezer, so you can enjoy this delicious soup for days to come.
Thirdly, this recipe is healthy and packed with nutritious ingredients. It’s loaded with vegetables like potatoes, red onions, and green peppers, and the spicy Italian sausage adds a protein boost. Plus, the soup is seasoned with fragrant herbs like rosemary and oregano, which not only add flavor but also have health benefits.
Finally, this soup is perfect for serving to a crowd or as a cozy meal for two. It pairs well with a side salad or some crusty bread and can be served as a main course or as a starter for a larger meal.
Overall, this Italian Knife-And-Fork Soup Recipe is a delicious and healthy option for anyone looking for a comforting bowl of soup. It’s versatile, easy to make, and packed with flavor and nutrition. So, grab your knife and fork and dig into a bowl of this delicious soup!
Before we get started with the recipe, let’s take a look at the ingredients you will need to make this Italian knife-and-fork soup. Don’t worry, you won’t need any exotic or hard-to-find ingredients. All of the items on this list can be found at your local grocery store.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 lbs sweet Italian sausage
- 2 lbs hot Italian sausage
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 lb pasta
- 1 can tomato paste
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Green onions, sliced
This recipe makes a large pot of soup, perfect for feeding a crowd or for meal prep. If you’re cooking for a smaller group or want leftovers for later, feel free to cut the recipe in half.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have the ingredients ready, it’s time to cook this Italian Knife-And-Fork Soup Recipe. This recipe is a one-pot wonder, which means we can keep it simple and cook everything in one pot. We will start with a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat.
Step 1: Cook the Sausage
First, we will cook the 2 lb hot Italian sausage in the pot with 2 tablespoons olive oil. We want to break it into small pieces and cook it until it’s browned on all sides. It will take around 5 minutes.
Step 2: Add the Veggies
Next, we will add the veggies. Start with 1 red onion, 1 green pepper, and 5 garlic cloves, all finely chopped. Cook everything together for another 5 minutes or until the veggies are soft.
Step 3: Add the Spices
Now we can add the spices. We will use 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and 2 tablespoons tomato paste. Make sure to stir everything well and cook for another minute.
Step 4: Add Water and Potatoes
After the spices, it’s time to add 6 cups water and 4 potatoes, peeled and diced into bite-size pieces. We want to bring everything to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. We will cook everything for around 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
Step 5: Add the Croutons and Cheese
Once the potatoes are cooked, it’s time to add the finishing touches. We will add 1 can of croutons, 1 cup parmesan cheese, and 2 green onions, thinly sliced. Cook everything together for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the soup is heated through.
Now our Italian Knife-And-Fork Soup Recipe is ready! We can serve it with some crusty bread or a grilled cheese sandwich for a complete meal.
Substitutions and Variations
There are plenty of ways to switch up this Italian Knife-And-Fork Soup Recipe to suit your preferences or dietary restrictions. Here are some ideas for substitutions and variations:
– Sausage: If you prefer a milder flavor, you can swap out the hot Italian sausage for mild Italian sausage or even ground turkey or chicken. For a vegetarian or vegan option, you can use plant-based sausage or omit it altogether and add more vegetables or beans instead.
– Potatoes: While we love the heartiness that potatoes bring to this soup, you can use other starchy vegetables like butternut squash or sweet potatoes instead. You can also add in other veggies like carrots, celery, or kale for extra nutrition and flavor.
– Pasta: If you want to make this soup more substantial, you can add in cooked pasta like spaghetti, penne, or tortellini. Just be sure to adjust the amount of water and seasonings accordingly.
– Croutons: If you want to add a crunchy element to your soup, you can make your own croutons by toasting sliced bread with olive oil and seasoning. You can also use store-bought croutons or skip them altogether.
– Cheese: While we love the nutty flavor of Parmesan cheese in this soup, you can use other types of cheese like Asiago, Pecorino Romano, or even mozzarella. If you’re vegan or lactose intolerant, you can use a dairy-free cheese alternative or skip the cheese altogether.
– Spices: This soup is flavored with classic Italian herbs like rosemary and oregano, but you can switch things up by adding in other spices like cumin, coriander, or smoked paprika. You can also add in some red pepper flakes for a spicy kick.
No matter how you choose to customize this recipe, you’re sure to end up with a delicious soup that’s perfect for a cozy night in or a dinner party with friends.
Serving and Pairing
This Italian Knife-And-Fork Soup Recipe is a perfect dish for a cozy dinner. It can be served as a main course or as a starter, and it pairs well with a variety of sides. One of the best ways to enjoy this soup is by serving it with some crispy croutons on top. The croutons add a nice texture to the dish and help soak up the delicious broth.
Another great pairing for this soup is some freshly grated Parmesan cheese. The cheese adds a rich and nutty flavor to the soup, making it even more satisfying. You can also sprinkle some chopped green onions on top for added freshness and color.
If you’re looking for a heartier meal, you can pair this soup with some grilled cheese sandwiches or a slice of garlic bread. The bread will complement the soup’s flavors and provide a satisfying crunch.
For a lighter option, you can serve this soup with a simple side salad. A mix of greens, tomatoes, and cucumbers tossed in a light vinaigrette would be a perfect complement to the soup’s rich and hearty flavors.
This soup is also great for entertaining. You can serve it as part of an Italian-themed dinner party, alongside other classic dishes like spaghetti and meatballs or lasagna. It’s also a great option for a casual get-together with friends, where you can serve it alongside some crusty bread and a selection of Italian meats and cheeses.
Overall, this Italian Knife-And-Fork Soup Recipe is a versatile and delicious dish that can be paired with a variety of sides and enjoyed in many different ways.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This Italian Knife-And-Fork Soup Recipe is perfect for making ahead of time, storing, and reheating for a quick and easy meal later. To make ahead of time, simply prepare the soup as directed and let it cool to room temperature. Once cooled, transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
When you’re ready to reheat the soup, remove it from the refrigerator and place it in a pot over medium heat. Add a splash of water or chicken broth to loosen the soup if it has thickened up. Cook the soup stirring occasionally until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat it in the microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway through.
If you plan to freeze the soup, make sure to let it cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container. Freeze the soup for up to 3 months. To thaw, remove the soup from the freezer and let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat the soup as directed above.
This soup recipe is perfect for meal prep, making it easy to enjoy a delicious and healthy soup throughout the week. You can also store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
When it comes to reheating the soup, I recommend adding a splash of water or chicken broth to loosen the soup if it has thickened up. This will help to keep the soup from getting too thick and make it easier to reheat.
Overall, this Italian Knife-And-Fork Soup Recipe is perfect for make-ahead meals and meal prep. It’s a delicious and healthy soup that can be enjoyed for days to come.
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you have all the ingredients and the steps to prepare this delicious Italian knife-and-fork soup recipe, let me give you some tips to make it a success.
1. Use high-quality ingredients: The quality of the ingredients you use can make a big difference in the taste of the soup. I recommend using fresh vegetables, good quality Italian sausage, and extra virgin olive oil.
2. Brown the sausage: Browning the sausage before adding it to the soup will give it a nice flavor and texture. Make sure to break it up into small pieces and cook it until it’s nicely browned.
3. Don’t overcook the potatoes: Overcooked potatoes can turn mushy and ruin the texture of the soup. Make sure to cook them until they are just tender, but still hold their shape.
4. Use homemade croutons: Making your own croutons is easy and adds a nice crunch to the soup. Simply cut some bread into small cubes, toss them with olive oil and your favorite seasonings, and bake them in the oven until crispy.
5. Garnish with fresh herbs and cheese: Adding some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and chopped green onions or fresh herbs like rosemary or oregano on top of the soup before serving will give it a nice flavor and aroma.
6. Adjust the seasoning: Taste the soup before serving and adjust the seasoning if needed. You can add more salt, pepper, or spices to suit your taste.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create a delicious and satisfying Italian knife-and-fork soup that will impress your family and friends. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different variations and substitutions to make it your own. Enjoy!
In conclusion, this Italian Knife-And-Fork Soup Recipe is the perfect comfort food for any day, especially during colder months. Not only is it hearty and delicious, but it is also a healthy option for those who are conscious about their food choices. With the perfect blend of Italian seasonings, hot Italian sausage, and vegetables, this soup is bound to become a household favorite.
Moreover, this recipe is versatile and can be easily customized to suit your preferences. You can add your favorite vegetables or swap the hot Italian sausage for mild Italian sausage or even make it vegan by using vegetable broth and omitting the sausage. The possibilities are endless!
I hope that this recipe article has inspired you to try out this delicious soup and experiment with different variations. Don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. You won’t regret giving this Italian Knife-And-Fork Soup Recipe a try. Enjoy!
Italian Knife-And-Fork Soup Recipe
- 1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 potatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 green onions, minced
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup crouton
- Slice both kinds of sausage. Combine with 1/4 cup water in a large saucepan. Simmer, covered, 4 minutes. Drain.
- Brown the sausage in the saucepan. Remove, discard drippings, and wipe pan clean with a paper towel.
- Slice the potatoes thinly. Cut the red and green peppers into thin strips. Chop the onion.
- Heat the olive oil in the saucepan. Saute the potatoes, peppers, onion, garlic, oregano, and rosemary in hot oil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken stock, tomato paste, 1/4 cup water, and sausage. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle into soup bowls and top with green onion, parmesan cheese, and croutons.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.