Welcome to my kitchen, where I will be sharing with you one of my favorite recipes – hot soft pretzels filled with cream cheese! If you’ve ever been to a theme park or a stadium, you’ve probably seen these delicious snacks being sold at concession stands. But why wait until your next outing to indulge in these savory treats when you can make them right at home?
Making pretzels from scratch might seem daunting, but I promise you that it’s not as hard as it seems. And the end result is well worth the effort. The warm, soft pretzels filled with creamy, tangy cream cheese are irresistible. Plus, they make for a perfect snack or a crowd-pleasing appetizer.
In this article, I will guide you through the step-by-step process of making these cheese-stuffed soft pretzels, including tips for perfect results and variations to try out. So, let’s get started and bring the flavors of Disneyland or Disney World right to your kitchen!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you a soft pretzel lover looking to take your snacking game to the next level? Then you’ll absolutely love this Hot Soft Pretzels Filled With Cream Cheese Recipe! These stuffed soft pretzels are the perfect combination of savory and sweet cream cheese filling, wrapped in a warm, chewy pretzel dough and sprinkled with kosher salt.
Not only are these pretzels a delicious snack, but they’re also incredibly versatile! They make for a great party appetizer, a fun twist on movie night snacking, or just a special treat for yourself. Plus, the recipe is incredibly easy to follow and doesn’t require any fancy equipment.
These cream cheese stuffed pretzels are perfect for any occasion and are sure to impress your guests. Imagine biting into a soft, delicious pretzel and being surprised by a warm, gooey cream cheese filling. It’s a taste sensation that you won’t want to miss out on!
So why settle for plain old pretzels when you can enjoy these cheese-stuffed soft pretzels? Trust me, you won’t regret trying out this Hot Soft Pretzels Filled With Cream Cheese Recipe.
Let’s start by gathering all the ingredients we’ll need for this delicious Hot Soft Pretzels Filled With Cream Cheese Recipe! Don’t worry; you don’t need lots of fancy ingredients to make these pretzels. You probably already have most of them in your pantry.
Here’s what you’ll need:
For the Pretzel Dough:
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (110°F)
- 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Pretzel Boil:
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Kosher salt for sprinkling
You can find all these ingredients in any grocery store, and some of them, like the yeast, you can store them in your pantry to use later. Check the expiration date of the yeast to make sure it’s still fresh, or your dough won’t rise. Let’s get started!
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Mixing the Dough
To start the recipe, I mix 2 cups of bread flour, 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, I mix 1 ½ cups of warm water (110°F) with 1 packet of active dry yeast. I then add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and mix until it forms a thick dough.
Step 2: Kneading the Dough
Next, I knead the dough on a floured surface for about 8-10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. If the dough is too sticky, I add a little more flour. I then place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with a damp cloth. I let it rise in a warm place for about an hour or until it doubles in size.
Step 3: Preparing the Filling
While the dough is rising, I prepare the filling. For this recipe, I use a cream cheese filling. I mix 1 package of softened cream cheese with 1 tablespoon of butter until it becomes smooth and creamy.
Step 4: Shaping the Pretzels
After the dough has risen, I punch it down and divide it into 8 equal parts. I roll each part into a long rope, about 20 inches long. I then flatten each rope and place a tablespoon of the cream cheese filling in the center. I fold the dough over the filling, pinching the edges together to seal it. I then shape the dough into a pretzel shape.
Step 5: Boiling and Baking
To give the pretzels their signature chewy texture and golden-brown color, I boil them in a mixture of 4 cups of hot water and ½ cup of baking soda for 30 seconds. I then place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and sprinkle them with kosher salt. I bake them in a preheated oven at 450°F for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Step 6: Serving and Enjoying
Once the pretzels are done baking, I let them cool for a few minutes before serving. These cream cheese-filled soft pretzels are perfect as a snack or appetizer. They are soft, delicious, and make a great addition to any party or gathering. For a spicy twist, you can try adding jalapeno cheese to the cream cheese filling or serving them with a side of cheese dip.
Substitutions and Variations
While this recipe for cream cheese-filled hot soft pretzels is a delicious treat all on its own, there are a few substitutions and variations you can try to mix things up and add a little extra flavor to your pretzels.
If you’re not a fan of cream cheese or want to try something different, you can always switch up the filling. Goat cheese or a jalapeno cheese sauce are both great options that add a little extra zing to your pretzels.
You can also experiment with the seasoning on your pretzels. Instead of just kosher salt, try adding some garlic powder or everything bagel seasoning for an extra burst of flavor.
If you’re looking to make these pretzels a little healthier, you can try swapping out some of the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour or using a sugar substitute instead of regular sugar.
And if you want to make these pretzels even more indulgent, try dipping them in a sweet cream cheese dip or a savory cheese sauce.
The possibilities are endless, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make these pretzels your own.
Serving and Pairing
These cream cheese stuffed soft pretzels are a crowd-pleaser and perfect for sharing with friends and family. Serve them straight out of the oven while they’re still warm and the cream cheese filling is gooey and delicious.
For a classic pairing, serve these pretzels with a side of yellow mustard, which complements the saltiness of the pretzel perfectly. If you prefer something sweeter, try dipping them in a caramel sauce or a sweet cream cheese dip.
These pretzels also pair well with a variety of drinks. Enjoy them with a cold beer or a glass of milk. For a non-alcoholic option, try pairing them with a refreshing lemonade or iced tea.
If you want to take your pretzel game to the next level, try serving them with other dipping sauces, such as a jalapeno cheese sauce or a spicy mustard. You can also experiment with toppings, such as sesame seeds or everything bagel seasoning, for added flavor and texture.
No matter how you choose to serve them, these cream cheese stuffed soft pretzels are sure to be a hit. They make a great snack for any occasion, from game day to movie night to a party with friends.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Making these cream cheese-filled soft pretzels is a labor of love, so it’s always a good idea to make a big batch to enjoy later. Thankfully, these pretzels can be made ahead of time and stored for later consumption.
To make the pretzels ahead of time, simply follow the recipe instructions up until the boiling step. Once you have boiled and baked the pretzels, let them cool completely before storing them in an airtight container. These pretzels will keep well for up to 2 days at room temperature or up to a week in the refrigerator.
If you want to reheat the pretzels, the best way to do so is in the oven. Preheat your oven to 350°F and wrap the pretzels in aluminum foil. Bake them for 10-15 minutes or until they are heated through. This will ensure that the pretzels are still soft and delicious.
Another great way to enjoy these cream cheese-filled soft pretzels is to make pretzel bites. Simply cut the pretzels into small pieces and bake them for 8-10 minutes until they are golden brown. These little bites make a great snack or party food.
If you’re looking to store the pretzels for a longer period of time, you can freeze them. Wrap each pretzel in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe container or plastic bag. These pretzels will keep well in the freezer for up to 2 months.
To thaw the pretzels, remove them from the freezer and let them come to room temperature. Once they are thawed, you can reheat them following the instructions above.
Overall, these cream cheese-filled soft pretzels are a perfect make-ahead snack that can be enjoyed at any time. Whether you’re reheating them in the oven or enjoying them as pretzel bites, they are sure to satisfy your cravings for a deliciously soft and cheesy snack.
Tips for Perfect Results
Making hot soft pretzels filled with cream cheese can be a bit tricky, but with the right tips, you’ll be able to create the perfect pretzels every time. Here are some tips that will help you achieve the perfect balance of softness, chewiness, and cream cheese filling in your pretzels:
1. Use bread flour: Bread flour has a higher protein content than all-purpose flour, which gives the pretzels their chewy texture. If you don’t have bread flour, you can use all-purpose flour, but the texture won’t be as chewy.
2. Add the baking soda to hot water: Adding baking soda to hot water helps to create the signature brown and shiny pretzel crust. Make sure the water is hot, but not boiling, and that you add the baking soda slowly to avoid any splashing.
3. Let the dough rest: After you’ve mixed the dough, let it rest for at least 10 minutes before shaping it into pretzels. This will help the gluten in the dough relax, making it easier to shape.
4. Use warm water for the yeast: When you’re activating the yeast, make sure the water is warm (around 110°F). If the water is too hot, it can kill the yeast, and if it’s too cold, the yeast won’t activate properly.
5. Don’t overstuff the pretzels: While it might be tempting to add as much cream cheese filling as possible, be careful not to overstuff the pretzels. This will cause the filling to leak out during baking.
6. Boil the pretzels before baking: Boiling the pretzels in the baking soda water before baking helps to set the crust and gives the pretzels their chewy texture. Make sure you boil the pretzels for about 30 seconds on each side.
7. Use kosher salt: Kosher salt is coarser than table salt, which makes it perfect for sprinkling on top of the pretzels. If you don’t have kosher salt, you can use sea salt instead.
8. Serve hot: Hot soft pretzels filled with cream cheese are best served hot out of the oven. If you need to reheat them, wrap them in a damp paper towel and heat them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds or in a slow cooker on low heat.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create delicious hot soft pretzels filled with cream cheese that are sure to impress your friends and family.
Now that you know how to make these delicious cream cheese-filled soft pretzels, it’s time to address some frequently asked questions to ensure that you have a successful outcome. Here are some common queries and their corresponding answers to help you perfect your pretzel-making skills.
How do you keep pretzels Soft and warm?
When it comes to keeping freshly baked pretzels warm without causing them to dry out, there’s a straightforward solution that I recommend. You can simply wrap the pretzels lightly in foil and put them into a slow cooker, covered and set to the “warm” setting. By doing so, you can stack a decent amount of pretzels in the slow cooker, and the foil will help to evenly distribute the heat. This is one of my favorite tricks for ensuring that pretzels remain warm and delicious for an extended period of time.
What is the secret ingredient which makes a pretzel taste like a pretzel?
To create delicious pretzels, the dough recipe is fairly straightforward and can be prepared in just a few hours. However, the secret to making outstanding pretzels lies in the liquid wash used before baking. This wash is made by combining water and lye, which adds a unique color, texture, and flavor to the pretzels.
How do you keep soft pretzels from getting soggy?
When it comes to storing pretzels, it’s best to opt for paper bags instead of plastic bags. This is because paper bags allow the moisture to escape, preventing the pretzels from becoming soggy. However, it’s important to note that pretzels stored in paper bags may lose their freshness faster than when stored in a bread box or frozen. So, if you’re looking to enjoy your pretzels for a longer period, it’s advisable to consider other storage options.
Why do you boil soft pretzels before baking?
When the dough is boiled, it expands quickly and develops a chewy texture inside, while the outside begins to form a crispy crust. Adding baking soda to the water during boiling also gives the pretzels a rich golden brown color with a cracked surface. It’s crucial not to leave it out of the process.
In conclusion, these cream cheese stuffed soft pretzels are the perfect treat for any occasion. They are easy to make and taste absolutely delicious. With the right ingredients and proper techniques, you can create a snack that will be a hit with family and friends.
Whether you’re looking for a savory or sweet snack, these pretzels can be easily customized to your liking. You can try different fillings such as goat cheese, jalapeno cheese or even a cheese dip or sauce. The possibilities are endless!
So what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try and impress everyone with your baking skills. Make sure to follow the tips and recommendations provided in this article to achieve perfect results every time. And don’t forget to serve them with your favorite beverage or dip.
Trust me, once you taste these cream cheese filled pretzels, you’ll never want to go back to regular pretzels again. They make a great snack for any occasion, whether it’s a movie night, a party or just a lazy afternoon at home. So go ahead, indulge yourself in these soft and delicious pretzels and share the joy with your loved ones.
Hot Soft Pretzels Filled With Cream Cheese Recipe
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water, 110 degrees
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2 cups warm water, 110 degrees
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 -4 tablespoons softened cream cheese, put into a pastry bag for filling
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- 2 tablespoons almonds, roasted & chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast, sugar and 1-1/2 cups warm water.
- Place flour and salt in food processor with metal blade and blend by pressing the pulse a couple of times, pour water mixture through feed tube while machine is running until smooth and elastic, about 40 seconds.
- The dough will leave the side of the bowl.
- If dough is too wet add more flour or if too dry add more water.
- Place in a greased bowl, and turn to coat the surface.
- Cover, and let rise for one hour.
- Combine 2 cups warm water and baking soda in an 8 inch square pan.
- After dough has risen, cut into 12 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a 3 foot rope, pencil thin.
- (if filling with cream cheese roll one 3 foot piece flat. Pipe on cheese leaving edges free (to seal back into a rope) Twist into a pretzel shape, and dip into the baking soda solution.
- Place on parchment covered cookie sheets, and let rise 15 to 20 minutes.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse salt, or cinnamon sugar and chopped roasted almonds.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.