Aloha! As a chef, I’m excited to share with you one of my favorite pie recipes – the Hawaiian Strawberry Pie! This pie is a delicious blend of tropical flavors that will transport your taste buds to the sandy beaches of Hawaii.
I first tasted this pie at the Village Inn in Hawaii and I couldn’t resist trying to recreate it in my kitchen. This pie has become a family favorite, and I’m sure it will become one of your favorites too.
The recipe is easy to follow and requires only a handful of ingredients that you may already have in your pantry. The combination of fresh strawberries, crushed pineapple, and flaked coconut gives this pie a unique taste and texture that is hard to resist.
Whether you’re looking for a dessert for a family dinner or a special occasion, this Hawaiian Strawberry Pie is sure to impress your guests. So, let’s get started and bring a taste of the tropics to your kitchen!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re looking for a sweet and tropical dessert, then you are going to fall in love with this Hawaiian Strawberry Pie recipe. This pie is a perfect combination of sweet and tangy flavors that will leave you wanting more. Trust me, you won’t be able to resist the deliciousness of this dessert!
One of the reasons why this recipe is so amazing is because it’s so easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up a delightful dessert that will impress your friends and family. And the best part? You don’t need to be an expert chef to make this pie. It’s perfect for beginners who want to try their hand at baking.
The ingredients used in this recipe are also very versatile, which means you can customize it to suit your taste. If you want a more tropical flavor, you can add some flaked coconut to the mix. And if you want it to be even more strawberry-forward, you can add more fresh or frozen strawberries.
But what really sets this recipe apart is the combination of vanilla pudding mix, cream cheese, and strawberry gelatin. These ingredients work together to create a creamy, fruity filling that is simply irresistible. And when you pair it with a graham cracker crust, it’s like a match made in heaven.
Overall, this recipe is one that you’ll want to keep in your back pocket for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just want to indulge in something sweet, this Hawaiian Strawberry Pie is the perfect dessert. So why not give it a try and see for yourself why it’s such a crowd-pleaser? Trust me, you won’t regret it!
To make this Hawaiian Strawberry Pie, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 graham cracker pie crust
- 1 (3 oz) package strawberry gelatin
- 1 (3.4 oz) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries for garnish
- 1 cup frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
You can find these ingredients at your local grocery store. If you cannot find fresh strawberries, frozen ones will work just fine. Make sure to thaw them before using them in the recipe. Also, be sure to use the graham cracker pie crust as it adds a delicious crunch to the pie.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we know what ingredients we need, let’s get started on making this delicious Hawaiian Strawberry Pie. This recipe is fairly simple and straightforward, so even if you’re not an expert in the kitchen, you can still make this pie with ease.
Step 1: Prepare the Ingredients
Before we start, let’s make sure we have everything we need. Take out the graham cracker pie crust and set it aside. In a medium saucepan, combine the dry gelatin, pudding mix, and sugar. Add enough water and pineapple juice to make 1 1/2 cups of liquid. Drain the crushed pineapple and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the softened cream cheese and sugar until well combined.
Step 2: Mix the Ingredients Together
Now, it’s time to mix all of the ingredients together. Add the liquid mixture to the cream cheese mixture and mix well. Next, add the crushed pineapple and sliced strawberries to the bowl and mix until well combined.
Step 3: Add the Cool Whip
Once the ingredients are thoroughly mixed, add half a container of Cool Whip to the bowl and mix well.
Step 4: Pour and Chill
Now, it’s time to pour the mixture into the graham cracker pie crust. Smooth the top of the pie with a spatula.
Place the pie in the refrigerator and allow it to chill for at least 2 hours.
Step 5: Top and Serve
Once the pie is chilled, it’s time to add the finishing touches. Take the pie out of the refrigerator and add the remaining Cool Whip to the top of the pie. Slice fresh strawberries and place them on top of the Cool Whip. Finally, sprinkle a handful of flaked coconut over the strawberries.
Now, your delicious Hawaiian Strawberry Pie is ready to be served! Enjoy it on its own or pair it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra sweet treat.
Substitutions and Variations
This Hawaiian Strawberry Pie recipe is already delicious as it is, but there are some substitutions and variations that you can try to switch things up and make it your own.
– Crust: Instead of using a graham cracker pie crust, you can use a shortbread or vanilla wafer crust for a different flavor and texture.
– Toppings: While fresh strawberries are the star of this recipe, you can also try using other fruits like kiwi, mango, or even canned mandarin oranges for a tropical twist. You can also sprinkle some flaked coconut on top for extra texture and flavor.
– Cool Whip: If you don’t have Cool Whip on hand, you can use whipped cream or whipped topping instead.
– Cream Cheese: You can substitute the cream cheese with mascarpone cheese or Greek yogurt for a tangier flavor.
– Gelatin: If you don’t have strawberry gelatin, you can use raspberry or cherry gelatin instead.
– Pudding Mix: You can use vanilla or coconut cream pudding mix instead of the vanilla pudding mix for a more Hawaiian-inspired flavor.
– Pineapple: While the recipe calls for crushed pineapple, you can also use fresh pineapple or canned pineapple chunks. Just make sure to drain the juice before using it in the recipe.
– Frozen Strawberries: If you can’t find frozen unsweetened strawberries, you can use frozen sweetened strawberries instead. Just make sure to adjust the sugar amount accordingly.
– Sweetened Condensed Milk: Instead of using sweetened condensed milk, you can use evaporated milk and add sugar to taste.
– Big Boy, Bakers Square, or Village Inn Copycat: If you’re looking to recreate the pie from Big Boy, Bakers Square, or Village Inn, simply add sliced bananas to the recipe and use a pre-made pie crust. You can also add some chopped nuts to the topping for an extra crunch.
These substitutions and variations are just a few ideas to inspire you to make this Hawaiian Strawberry Pie your own. Feel free to experiment and see what works best for you and your taste buds.
Serving and Pairing
This Hawaiian Strawberry Pie is a perfect dessert on its own, but there are some pairing suggestions that can make it even better.
You can serve it with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream to enhance its creamy flavor. You can also sprinkle some toasted flaked coconut on top for a tropical twist.
Pairing this pie with a hot cup of coffee or tea is a great way to balance the sweetness of the pie. You can also serve it with a glass of cold milk for a classic combination.
For those who want to take it up a notch, you can pair this pie with a sweet dessert wine such as Moscato or Riesling. The fruity and floral notes of these wines complement the strawberry and pineapple flavors of the pie.
Another option is to serve this pie alongside some fresh strawberries or a strawberry tart for a beautiful presentation. You can also consider complementing the pie with some Hawaiian rolls or a slice of pineapple pie for a full Hawaiian-themed dessert spread.
No matter how you decide to serve it, this Hawaiian Strawberry Pie is sure to be a crowd-pleaser, and it will leave your guests wanting more.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This Hawaiian Strawberry Pie Recipe is perfect for making ahead of time and storing in the fridge until ready to serve. To make the pie ahead of time, simply prepare the recipe as instructed, let the pie cool completely, cover it with plastic wrap, and store it in the fridge for up to two days before serving.
If you have any leftover pie, it can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. When reheating, it is best to do so in the oven at a low temperature, around 300°F (150°C), for about 10-15 minutes. This will help to retain the texture of the pie crust and prevent it from getting soggy.
One thing to keep in mind is that the fresh strawberries will start to release their juices over time, which can make the pie a bit watery. To combat this, you can sprinkle some cornstarch over the sliced strawberries before adding them to the pie, which will help to thicken the juices and prevent them from making the pie too soggy.
Overall, this recipe is a great option for those who want to prepare a delicious dessert ahead of time or have some leftovers to enjoy later on. Just be sure to store it properly and reheat it carefully to maintain its delicious taste and texture.
Tips for Perfect Results
Here are a few tips to make sure your Hawaiian Strawberry Pie comes out perfectly every time:
First, use fresh strawberries whenever possible. The flavor of fresh strawberries is unbeatable and will take your pie to the next level. If fresh strawberries are not available, frozen unsweetened strawberries will do the trick.
Second, make sure to drain the crushed pineapple well. You don’t want the excess liquid to make the filling too runny.
Third, be sure to soften the cream cheese before mixing it with the other ingredients. This will help ensure that everything mixes together smoothly and there are no lumps.
Fourth, make sure to use a graham cracker pie crust. The sweetness and crunchiness of the crust complements the tangy and sweet filling of the pie.
Fifth, don’t overmix the filling. Mix it just enough to combine all the ingredients, but not so much that it becomes thin or runny.
Sixth, let the pie chill for at least four hours before serving. This will help the filling set properly and make it easier to slice.
Seventh, top the pie with whipped cream or additional fresh strawberries for an extra pop of flavor and color.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to make the perfect Hawaiian Strawberry Pie every time.
There is no denying that the Hawaiian Strawberry Pie Recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves a delicious dessert that is both easy to make and impressive to look at. With its perfect combination of sweet and tart flavors, this pie is sure to be a hit with everyone who tries it.
Whether you are a fan of fresh strawberries, frozen unsweetened strawberries, or crushed pineapple with juice, this recipe has got you covered. With its versatile ingredient list and simple instructions, you can easily customize this recipe to suit your taste preferences and dietary restrictions.
So why not give this recipe a try? Whether you are looking for a new dessert to impress your guests at your next dinner party or simply want to treat yourself to something sweet, the Hawaiian Strawberry Pie Recipe is the perfect choice. Trust me, once you try this pie, you will never want to go back to boring old desserts again.
Hawaiian Strawberry Pie Recipe
- 6 ounces graham cracker pie crust
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries or 2 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries, if fresh are not available
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla pudding mix, NOT INSTANT
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice, drained and reserve juice
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup Cool Whip
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut
- Place strawberries in the pie crust, either fresh or frozen, that have been drained. In a medium saucepan combine the dry gelatin pudding and mix. Add enough water to the pineapple juice to make 1 1/2 cups liquid. Add to dry pudding mixture. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Pour hot mixture over the strawberries.
- Refrigerate 2 hours.
- In a small bowl combine the drained pineapple, coconut extract and Cool Whip. Mix gently to combine. Both layers can be cooled at the same time. Spread the drained pineapple, coconut extract and Cool Whip mixture over the set strawberry filling. Sprinkle flaked coconut over the top.
- Refrigerate at least 5 minutes but no more than 24 hours. Cut into 8 pieces.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.