Welcome, my fellow food enthusiasts! Today, I’m excited to share with you my Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili Recipe. This recipe is perfect for any occasion, whether you’re having a cozy night in or entertaining guests.
This recipe is inspired by the classic chicken chili recipe, but with a twist. The combination of the white beans, tomatillo salsa, and ground coriander gives it a unique flavor that will leave your taste buds tingling.
Not only is this dish delicious, but it’s also healthy and easy to make. It’s packed with protein and fiber, making it an ideal meal for those who want to eat healthily without sacrificing flavor.
So grab your apron and let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Get ready to fall in love with this Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili Recipe! This recipe is perfect for anyone who loves the flavors of traditional chicken chili but wants to add a little twist to it. Here are some reasons why you’ll absolutely love this recipe:
Firstly, the combination of white and green beans adds a lovely texture to the dish. The cannellini and great northern beans give the chili a creamy and hearty feel while the tomatillo salsa and green chiles add a little bit of tanginess and heat. The flavors come together in a perfect balance that will leave your taste buds wanting more.
Secondly, the chunks of boneless chicken breasts make this recipe a protein-packed meal that will keep you full and satisfied for hours. The chicken is seasoned with ground coriander, ground cumin, garlic cloves, and fresh ground black pepper, which adds a depth of flavor that will make your mouth water.
Thirdly, the recipe is incredibly versatile. You can make it in a soup pot or an Instant Pot, depending on your preference. Additionally, you can customize the recipe to your liking by adding or subtracting ingredients. You can also adjust the heat level by using more or less of the tomatillo salsa and green chiles.
Lastly, this recipe is perfect for meal prep. You can make a big batch over the weekend and store it in the fridge or freezer for later. When you’re ready to eat, simply reheat it and serve it with some fresh cilantro, lime juice, and Monterey Jack pepper cheese.
Overall, this Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili Recipe is a crowd-pleaser that will leave you feeling satisfied and happy. It’s easy to make, packed with flavor, and perfect for any occasion. So what are you waiting for? Get cooking and enjoy this delicious dish!
Before we start cooking, let’s take a look at the ingredients needed for this Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili recipe.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts – 2 pounds, cut into bite-size pieces
- Vegetable oil – 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper – to season the chicken
- Yellow onion – 1 medium, chopped
- Garlic cloves – 2, minced
- Ground cumin – 1 tablespoon
- Ground coriander – 1 tablespoon
- Chicken broth – 2 cups
- Tomatillo salsa – 1 cup
- Great Northern beans – 2 cans, drained and rinsed
- Cannellini beans – 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Green chiles – 2 cans, seeded and chopped
- Monterey jack pepper cheese – 2 cups, shredded
- Lime – juice of 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro – 1/4 cup, chopped
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley – 1/4 cup, chopped
Make sure to have all the ingredients ready before starting the cooking process. You can find most of these ingredients in your local grocery store.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have introduced the Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili Recipe, and you know why you’ll love it, and have the full ingredient list, let’s dive into the recipe how-to.
Preparing the Chicken
- Step 1: Cut the boneless skinless chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces, and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Step 2: In a large soup pot or an instant pot, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Step 3: Add the chicken to the hot oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Cook until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
Preparing the Chili
- Step 4: Add the onion and garlic to the pot, and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Step 5: Add the cans of white beans, cannellini beans, chicken broth, tomatillo salsa, green chiles, juice of 1 lime, ground coriander, ground cumin, and fresh ground black pepper.
- Step 6: Bring the chili to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Step 7: Add the Monterey Jack cheese, Monterey Jack pepper cheese, fresh cilantro, and fresh flat-leaf parsley. Stir well and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
Serving the Chili
- Step 8: Serve the Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili Recipe hot, topped with additional cheese, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.
This recipe is the perfect combination of spicy and savory with a touch of tangy lime. The chicken is cooked to perfection, and the beans add a great texture to the dish. It’s a hearty meal that will leave you feeling satisfied and full.
Substitutions and Variations
Don’t be afraid to mix it up with this recipe. Here are some substitutions and variations to make this Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili your own.
– Cheese: If you can’t find Monterey Jack pepper cheese, regular Monterey Jack cheese will do. You can also try shredded cheddar or a Mexican blend of cheeses for a different flavor.
– Herbs: If you’re not a fan of cilantro, try substituting fresh flat-leaf parsley instead. You can also add in some dried oregano or thyme for extra depth.
– Beans: Cannellini beans and Great Northern beans work well in this recipe, but you can also use navy beans or black beans for a different color and texture.
– Salsa: If you can’t find tomatillo salsa, substitute with your favorite green salsa or even mild salsa verde.
– Spices: If you don’t have ground coriander, you can substitute with ground cardamom or cumin. For a spicier chili, add in some crushed red pepper flakes or diced jalapenos.
– Chicken: This recipe calls for boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but you can also use bone-in chicken thighs or even ground chicken for a different texture.
– Vegetarian: If you’re looking for a vegetarian option, simply omit the chicken and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
– Instant Pot: To make this recipe in an Instant Pot, simply follow the same steps but use the Instant Pot’s sauté function to cook the chicken and onion. Then, add in the remaining ingredients and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
Mix and match these substitutions and variations to make this Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili uniquely yours.
Serving and Pairing
This Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili Recipe is a hearty and satisfying meal that can be served as a main course or a side dish. It’s perfect for any occasion, from a casual weeknight dinner to a game day party.
To serve, ladle the chili into individual bowls and top with shredded Monterey Jack cheese or Monterey Jack Pepper cheese, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, and a sprinkle of fresh flat-leaf parsley or cilantro. The cheese will melt and create a creamy texture, while the lime juice and herbs will add a bright and fresh flavor to the dish.
For a more filling meal, you can also serve the chili with a side of cornbread or tortilla chips. The cornbread will complement the sweetness of the corn and add a crunchy texture, while the tortilla chips will provide a salty crunch and a vehicle for scooping up the chili.
To pair with this Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili Recipe, I recommend a light-bodied and refreshing beer such as a pilsner or a lager. The beer will cut through the richness of the chili and cleanse your palate between bites. If you prefer wine, a crisp and acidic white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio would be a good choice. The wine will complement the tanginess of the tomatillo salsa and the lime juice in the dish.
Overall, this Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili Recipe is a versatile and delicious dish that can be enjoyed in many ways. Experiment with different toppings and sides to find your favorite combination!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili recipe can be made ahead of time to save you time and effort on the day you plan to serve it. You can make the chili up to two days in advance and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When reheating, you can use a slow cooker or reheat on the stove over medium heat. Make sure to stir occasionally and add a little bit of chicken broth or water if the chili becomes too thick.
If you have leftovers, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to three days or in the freezer for up to three months. When storing in the freezer, make sure to use a freezer-safe container or bag. To reheat, simply thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
To keep your chili tasting fresh, it’s important to store the toppings separately. You can store shredded Monterey Jack cheese, lime wedges, chopped fresh cilantro, and chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley in separate containers in the refrigerator for up to three days.
In terms of reheating, I recommend reheating the chili on the stove over medium heat, stirring occasionally until it reaches your desired temperature. You can also reheat in the microwave, but be sure to cover the bowl or container with a lid or plastic wrap to prevent splatters.
Overall, this Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili recipe is perfect for making ahead of time and reheating for a quick and satisfying meal. With a little bit of planning, you can enjoy this delicious chili anytime you want!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you have the recipe for the Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili, let me give you some tips to ensure that you get the perfect results every time you make it.
Firstly, I recommend that you use boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces. This will ensure that the chicken cooks evenly and quickly, resulting in a tender and juicy texture.
Secondly, make sure to season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper before adding it to the hot oil. This will enhance the flavor of the chicken and make it more delicious.
Thirdly, when sautéing the onion and garlic, make sure to use a large soup pot. This will allow the vegetables to cook evenly and prevent overcrowding, which can result in unevenly cooked vegetables.
Fourthly, when adding the beans to the chili, make sure to drain and rinse them thoroughly. This will remove any excess salt or preservatives and ensure that the beans do not overpower the other flavors in the chili.
Fifthly, if you’re making this recipe in an Instant Pot, use the “soup” setting and set the timer for 15 minutes. This will ensure that the chicken and beans are cooked perfectly and that the flavors have melded together.
Lastly, don’t be afraid to adjust the seasonings to your liking. If you prefer a spicier chili, add more ground cumin and coriander. If you prefer a milder chili, reduce the amount of green chiles and tomatillo salsa.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create the perfect Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili every time. Enjoy!
In conclusion, the Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili Recipe is a perfect dish for any occasion, whether it’s a cozy night in or a big party. This recipe is easy to make and can be customized to fit your taste buds with various substitutions and variations. The combination of white beans, chicken, and tomatillo salsa provides a unique and flavorful twist on traditional chili recipes. Plus, the added Monterey Jack cheese and fresh herbs make this dish even more delicious.
I highly recommend this recipe to anyone who is looking for a hearty, comforting meal that is also healthy and nutritious. With the help of these detailed instructions and tips, you will be able to make the perfect Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili in no time. So why not give it a try and impress your friends and family with your culinary skills?
Don’t forget to share your experience with us in the comments below and let us know how your Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili turned out!
Green and White Lightning Chunky Chicken Chili Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 cup tomatillo salsa (mild or hot)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans or (15 ounce) can great northern beans
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lime, juice of
- shredded monterey jack cheese or shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- corn chips
- Heat a soup pot over med-high heat with the vegetable oil; add in the chicken to the hot oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring often; add in onion, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, and coriander; cook 3-4 minutes, continuing to stir.
- Add in the tomatillo salsa and chicken broth; bring to a simmer.
- Add half of the beans; with a fork thoroughly mash the other half of the beans, then add to the chili.
- Simmer for 10 minutes; remove chili from heat and add in cilantro, parsley, and lime juice.
- Serve each bowl of chili with a little shredded cheese on top; crush up some chips and stir.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.