Deliciously Healthy: Easy Forbidden Rice Stir-Fry Recipe
Welcome, foodies! Today, I am going to share with you my recipe for an easy and delicious Forbidden Rice Stir-Fry. If you’re looking for a quick and healthy meal that’s packed with flavor, this recipe is perfect for you.
Forbidden rice, also known as black rice, is a variety of rice that’s loaded with nutrients and antioxidants. It has a nutty flavor and a chewy texture that makes it ideal for stir-fries. This recipe is a fusion of Chinese and Western cuisines, which makes it unique and exciting.
In this recipe, we will be using simple ingredients that you can find in any grocery store. With just a few easy steps, you can whip up a delicious meal that’s perfect for lunch or dinner. Whether you’re a vegan or a meat lover, this recipe can be customized to suit your taste.
Trust me, once you try this Forbidden Rice Stir-Fry, you’ll be hooked. So, let’s get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you tired of eating the same old boring white rice? Look no further than this easy and delicious Forbidden Rice Stir-Fry recipe!
First of all, let’s talk about the star of the show: forbidden rice. This variety of rice, also known as black rice, has a nutty flavor and a slightly chewy texture that sets it apart from traditional white rice. Not only is forbidden rice delicious, it’s also packed with nutrients like fiber, protein, and antioxidants.
But what really makes this recipe shine is the combination of fresh vegetables like bell peppers, snap peas, and scallions, all tossed together in a quick stir-fry with the rice. The result is a colorful and flavorful dish that’s sure to impress your family and friends. Plus, it’s a great way to get in your daily dose of veggies!
This recipe is also incredibly versatile. You can easily swap out the vegetables for whatever you have on hand or whatever is in season. Plus, you can easily make it vegan by omitting the egg and using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
And let’s not forget about the ease and convenience of this recipe. With just a few simple steps, you’ll have a delicious and healthy meal on the table in no time. It’s perfect for busy weeknights when you don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen.
So what are you waiting for? Give this easy Forbidden Rice Stir-Fry recipe a try and discover why it’s sure to become a new favorite in your household.
Before diving into the recipe, let’s gather all the ingredients we’ll need for this Easy Forbidden Rice Stir-Fry Recipe. This recipe makes four servings, so adjust the amount of ingredients according to your needs. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 cup black rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cups chicken broth (vegetable broth or water can be substituted)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 ½ cups snap peas (can be substituted with green beans or any vegetables of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (optional)
Note: You can find black rice at most grocery stores or online. If you can’t find black rice, you can substitute with any other rice of your choice, but keep in mind that the final dish won’t have the same striking color as the Forbidden Rice Stir-Fry.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have gathered all the ingredients, it’s time to start cooking our Easy Forbidden Rice Stir-Fry Recipe. This dish is perfect for busy weeknights and is easy to prepare.
Step 1: Cook the Forbidden Rice
The first step is to cook the black rice. Rinse 1 cup of forbidden rice and add it to a pot with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer the rice for about 25 minutes or until it’s tender. Once done, remove it from the heat and let it rest for about 5 minutes before fluffing it with a fork.
Step 2: Prepare the Vegetables
While the rice is cooking, let’s prepare the vegetables. Chop 1 onion, 1 bell pepper, 2 garlic cloves, and 1 scallion. Cut 1 cup of snap peas in half and slice them into small pieces.
Step 3: Fry the Vegetables
In a large skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté it until it’s translucent. Add the bell pepper, garlic, and snap peas and stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Step 4: Add the Rice
Add the cooked black rice to the skillet with the vegetables and stir everything together. Pour ⅓ cup of chicken broth over everything and stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes until everything is well combined and heated through.
Step 5: Add the Egg
Push the rice and vegetables to one side of the skillet and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the other side. Crack 1 egg into the oil and stir-fry it until it’s cooked to your liking. Then, mix the egg into the rest of the stir-fry.
Step 6: Garnish and Serve
Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds and chopped scallion on top of the stir-fry. You can serve the dish as it is or with roasted broccoli or tofu on the side.
Enjoy your delicious and nutritious Easy Forbidden Rice Stir-Fry Recipe!
Substitutions and Variations
This easy forbidden rice stir-fry recipe is super versatile, meaning you can easily customize it to suit your taste preferences or dietary restrictions. Here are some ideas for substitutions and variations:
– Rice: While this recipe calls for forbidden black rice, you can substitute it with other types of rice such as jasmine rice, wild rice, glutinous rice, japonica rice, or brown rice. Keep in mind that cooking times may vary depending on the type of rice you use.
– Vegetables: You can use any vegetables you have on hand for this stir-fry recipe. Bell peppers, onions, snap peas, and garlic are great options, but feel free to experiment with other veggies like broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, or zucchini.
– Protein: If you’re not a fan of chicken, you can use tofu or skip the protein altogether for a vegan version of this recipe. You can also substitute the chicken broth with vegetable broth to make it completely vegan.
– Pineapple: For a tropical twist, add some diced pineapple to this stir-fry. It pairs well with the black rice and adds a hint of sweetness to the dish.
– Fried egg: If you’re not a fan of fried eggs, you can skip this step or cook the eggs differently. Poached eggs or scrambled eggs would also work well in this recipe.
– Rice noodles: For a different texture, you can swap out the rice with rice noodles. Cook the noodles according to the package instructions and stir-fry them with the vegetables and protein.
By experimenting with different ingredients and flavors, you can create a variety of delicious and healthy meals that fit your dietary needs and taste preferences.
Serving and Pairing
This easy Forbidden Rice Stir-Fry recipe is a meal that can stand alone or be paired with a variety of dishes. Here are some suggestions on how to serve and pair your stir-fry:
– As a main dish: This stir-fry is packed with protein, veggies and carbs, making it a satisfying and filling meal on its own. Serve it hot and fresh out of the wok, garnished with sesame seeds and chopped scallions for extra flavor and crunch.
– With rice noodles: If you want to add more texture to your stir-fry, serve it over cooked rice noodles. They’ll absorb the sauce and add a chewy component to each bite.
– With other rice varieties: Forbidden black rice is the star of this recipe, but feel free to use other varieties of rice, such as jasmine, brown or wild rice. They all have unique flavors and textures that can complement or contrast with the stir-fry.
– With pineapple: For a tropical twist, add some fresh or canned pineapple chunks to your stir-fry. They’ll add sweetness, acidity and juiciness to the dish, and pair well with the bell pepper and onion.
– With tofu: If you’re vegetarian or vegan, substitute the chicken broth and egg with vegetable broth and cubed tofu. Tofu is a great source of protein and can absorb flavors well, making it a versatile ingredient in stir-fries.
– With a Thai or Shanghai stir-fry: If you want to make a fusion meal, pair your stir-fry with a Thai or Shanghai stir-fry dish. Both cuisines use similar ingredients and cooking techniques, and can add more variety to your meal.
No matter how you serve and pair your stir-fry, make sure to enjoy it with chopsticks or a fork and spoon. And don’t forget to have some extra soy sauce, sriracha or chili flakes on the side for added heat and seasoning.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This easy Forbidden Rice Stir-Fry recipe is a great option for meal prep or make-ahead meals. You can cook the rice and chop the vegetables ahead of time, so all you have to do is assemble and stir-fry when you’re ready to eat. The cooked rice can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To reheat the rice, you can use a microwave or stovetop. For the microwave, place the rice in a microwave-safe dish, cover with a damp paper towel, and heat in 30-second intervals until heated through. For the stovetop, add a splash of water or broth to the rice and heat over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally.
When it comes to reheating the stir-fry, it’s best to do so on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Add a splash of oil to a pan or wok, and stir-fry the vegetables and rice until heated through. Be sure to stir frequently to prevent sticking and ensure even heating.
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When reheating, be sure to add a splash of water or broth to the stir-fry to prevent it from drying out.
Overall, this recipe is a great option for those who want to meal prep or have a quick and easy meal ready to go. With a little bit of planning and preparation, you can enjoy this delicious and nutritious stir-fry anytime!
Tips for Perfect Results
Cooking rice is not rocket science, but there are a few tricks to make the perfect rice every time. Here are some tips that will help you achieve the best possible result when making the Easy Forbidden Rice Stir-Fry Recipe.
1. Rinse the rice before cooking
It is essential to rinse the rice before cooking to remove excess starch and debris. Rinse the rice in a fine-mesh strainer under cold running water until the water runs clear. This step will help the rice cook evenly, prevent clumping, and give it a better texture.
2. Use the right ratio of water to rice
The ratio of water to rice is crucial when cooking rice. Use 1 ¾ cups of water for every 1 cup of rice. This ratio will give you the perfect texture of rice that is not too dry or too mushy. If you prefer a softer or firmer texture, adjust the amount of water accordingly.
3. Cook the rice properly
Cooking rice is all about timing. Once you bring the water and rice to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer for 18-20 minutes. Do not lift the lid or stir the rice during the cooking process. Let the rice rest for 5 minutes before fluffing it with a fork.
4. Use a wok or a large skillet
Stir-frying requires high heat and lots of room to toss the ingredients. A wok or a large skillet is the best option for making stir-fry dishes. The high sides of the wok or skillet prevent the ingredients from spilling over, while the wide bottom ensures even cooking.
5. Cut the ingredients evenly
Cut the ingredients into uniform sizes to ensure even cooking. This step is especially important for vegetables that take longer to cook, such as bell peppers and onions. Cut them into thin slices or small cubes to speed up the cooking time.
6. Use high heat
Stir-frying requires high heat to cook the ingredients quickly and evenly. Set your stove to medium-high or high heat and let the pan heat up before adding the ingredients. The high heat will give the dish a slightly smoky flavor and a crispy texture.
7. Add the ingredients in the right order
Add the ingredients that take longer to cook first, such as onions and bell peppers. Then add the ingredients that cook quickly, such as snap peas and scallions. Finally, add the cooked rice and stir-fry everything for another minute or two.
Follow these tips, and you’ll have a delicious and perfectly cooked Easy Forbidden Rice Stir-Fry Recipe every time.
Now that we have covered all the important aspects of this easy Forbidden Rice Stir-Fry Recipe, it’s time to move on to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). In this section, I’ll answer some of the most common questions that might come up while preparing this dish. So, let’s get right into it.
Does forbidden rice need to be soaked?
When cooking black rice, it’s important to keep in mind that it still has its outer hull and bran intact, which means that it requires more time for the water to seep through and cook the grains. To ensure that the rice is tender and fully cooked, it’s recommended to soak it for at least a few hours, or even overnight. If you want your black rice to have a darker, more intense shade of purple, you can use 2 tablespoons of black rice instead of the usual 1 tablespoon. This will enhance the color and flavor of the dish.
What makes forbidden rice forbidden?
Black rice is also known as forbidden rice or emperor’s rice. Its name is derived from the fact that it used to be exclusively consumed by the wealthy and powerful in ancient China, while it was forbidden for everyone else. The reason behind this was its health benefits, which were highly valued in traditional Chinese medicine.
Should you cook rice before adding to stir fry?
For the best results when making fried rice, it’s recommended to cook the rice ahead of time and let it chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to a day. It’s important to leave the rice uncovered to prevent it from becoming too sticky or clumping together. This step will ensure that the rice is firm and easy to work with when it comes time to fry it up.
What is the best rice for stir fry?
When preparing stir-fried dishes, it’s important to choose the right type of rice to achieve a perfect texture. I would recommend using long grain white rice over short-grain rice as it maintains its shape and doesn’t stick together. My preferred option is Jasmine rice, which has a delightful floral scent and drier texture when cooked, making it an ideal choice for stir-fry dishes.
In conclusion, this easy forbidden rice stir-fry recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves rice recipes or stir-fried dishes. With its rich nutty flavor and chewy texture, black rice is a great alternative to white rice and adds a touch of sophistication to any dish. Plus, this recipe is versatile and can be adapted to suit your taste preferences and dietary needs.
Whether you are a meat-lover, vegan, or vegetarian, this recipe is perfect for you. You can add your favorite protein, such as chicken, tofu, or shrimp, or simply stick to vegetables for a vegan-friendly option. Additionally, you can make this dish spicier by adding chili peppers or milder by leaving them out.
Moreover, this recipe is perfect for meal prepping, as you can cook the rice ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to five days. When you’re ready to eat, simply stir-fry the rice with your favorite vegetables and protein for a quick and delicious meal.
In summary, this forbidden rice stir-fry recipe is a great addition to your recipe collection. It’s easy to make, versatile, and delicious. So, go ahead and try it out for yourself today!
Easy Forbidden Rice Stir-Fry Recipe
- 1 cup forbidden rice
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth (or water)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced (any color is fine)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 tablespoon scallion, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
- Cook rice according to package. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onion, pepper, and garlic in oil until onion is translucent.
- Add egg to vegetables and scramble until almost cooked.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add rice to vegetable/egg mixture and stir-fry until heated through, approximately 10-15 seconds.
- Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with scallions. Toasted sesame seeds are nice, too. Enjoy!
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.