Welcome to my tried and true hummus recipe! If you’re a fan of hummus, you know that this delicious dip is a staple in Middle Eastern cuisine that has gained popularity all over the world. But let me tell you, nothing beats homemade hummus. And with my easy-to-follow recipe, you’ll be able to make your very own smooth and creamy hummus in no time.
I’ve been making hummus for years, and I’ve perfected the recipe to make sure that every single bite is bursting with flavor. My hummus recipe is authentic, delicious, and a crowd-pleaser. Whether you’re hosting a party or just want a healthy snack, this hummus recipe is perfect for any occasion.
In this article, I’ll be sharing my secrets to make the best hummus you’ve ever tasted. From the perfect balance of garlic and lemon to the right amount of tahini, I’ll guide you through all the steps to make sure your hummus is smooth, creamy, and delicious.
So, let’s get started! Get your food processor ready and let’s make some hummus.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
You’ll love this homemade hummus recipe because it’s the best hummus you’ll ever taste. It’s creamy, smooth, and bursting with flavor. I have tried and tested this recipe many times, and I can confidently say that it’s the most authentic hummus recipe out there.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it’s effortless to make. You don’t need any fancy equipment or exotic ingredients. All you need is a food processor and a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
Another reason why you’ll love this recipe is that it’s incredibly versatile. You can customize it to your liking by adding different spices or toppings. For example, you can top it with paprika, ground cumin, or even spiced beef. You can also make variations such as avocado hummus or pistachio hummus.
If you’re a fan of store-bought hummus, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by how much better this homemade hummus tastes. Not only is it more delicious, but it’s also healthier. You can control the amount of salt and oil that goes into it, making it a guilt-free snack.
Finally, this recipe is perfect for entertaining. Whether you’re hosting a party or bringing a dish to a potluck, this hummus is sure to impress. It’s a crowd-pleaser that everyone will love, and you can even make it ahead of time and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for an easy, authentic, and delicious hummus recipe, look no further. This tried and true hummus recipe is the best hummus recipe out there, and you’ll love how it tastes. Give it a try, and you won’t be disappointed!
Let’s take a look at what we’ll need to make this delicious Tried and True Hummus Recipe. The ingredient list is fairly simple and consists of pantry staples that you may already have on hand.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 can (15 ounce) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons tahini sesame paste
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons cold water
- Paprika for garnish
As you can see, the ingredient list is pretty short and sweet, but that doesn’t mean it lacks in flavor. The combination of chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, and olive oil creates a smooth and creamy texture that is perfect for dipping pita chips or fresh veggies.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have gathered all of our ingredients, let’s dive into the recipe! Here is how to make the best hummus you’ve ever tasted.
Step 1: Prepare the Chickpeas
Start by draining and rinsing 1 can (15 ounces) of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) under cold water. Some people prefer to use dried chickpeas, but for this recipe, we’ll use canned chickpeas to save time.
Step 2: Blend the Ingredients
In a food processor or blender, combine the chickpeas, 2 large garlic cloves, 3 tablespoons of tahini, juice of 2 lemons, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon of paprika.
Begin blending the ingredients until they are smooth and creamy. If the mixture is too thick, add a little bit of cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you reach the desired consistency.
Step 3: Add Olive Oil and Blend Again
With the food processor or blender running, slowly pour in 1/4 cup of olive oil. Continue blending until the olive oil is fully incorporated and the hummus is smooth and creamy.
Step 4: Adjust the Seasoning
Take a taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. If the hummus needs more tang, add more lemon juice. If it needs more nuttiness, add more tahini. If it needs more salt, add more salt.
Step 5: Serve and Enjoy
Transfer the hummus to a serving dish, drizzle with a little bit of olive oil, and sprinkle with paprika. Serve with pita bread, carrot sticks, or your favorite vegetables.
Enjoy your homemade, authentic hummus!
Substitutions and Variations
Hummus is an extremely versatile dish and can be made in a variety of ways. Here are some substitutions and variations to make this recipe your own:
– Chickpeas: You can use other types of beans such as black beans or white beans instead of chickpeas. You can also use dried chickpeas instead of canned chickpeas. Just make sure to soak the dried chickpeas overnight and cook them before using them in the recipe.
– Tahini: If you don’t have tahini, you can substitute it with almond butter or peanut butter. However, keep in mind that the flavor will be different.
– Garlic: You can adjust the amount of garlic cloves used depending on your preference. You can also use roasted garlic for a sweeter flavor.
– Lemon juice: You can adjust the amount of lemon juice used depending on your preference. You can also use lime juice for a different flavor.
– Olive oil: You can use other types of oil such as avocado oil or canola oil instead of olive oil.
– Spices: You can add other spices such as paprika, ground cumin or coriander to give your hummus a different flavor.
– Pistachio hummus: To make pistachio hummus, add 1/4 cup of shelled pistachios to the food processor along with the other ingredients.
– Avocado hummus: To make avocado hummus, add 1 ripe avocado to the food processor along with the other ingredients.
– Greek hummus: To make Greek hummus, add 1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese and 1/4 cup of chopped Kalamata olives to the food processor along with the other ingredients.
– Middle Eastern hummus: To make Middle Eastern hummus, add 1/4 cup of pine nuts and 1/4 teaspoon of ground sumac to the food processor along with the other ingredients.
Experiment with different variations to find your favorite flavor.
Serving and Pairing
Now that you have your delicious homemade hummus, it’s time to serve it up and enjoy it with your favorite foods!
First and foremost, hummus is great as a dip for vegetables, pita bread, or crackers. You can also spread it on sandwiches, wraps, or toast for a tasty snack or light lunch.
For a more filling meal, you can use hummus as a base for a bowl or salad. Just add some greens, roasted vegetables, or grains, and top it off with some protein like chicken, tofu, or falafel.
If you’re looking for some specific pairing ideas, here are some tried and true combinations that are sure to please:
– Middle Eastern platter: Serve your hummus with some tabbouleh, baba ganoush, olives, and warm pita bread for a classic Middle Eastern spread.
– Spiced beef or lamb: Hummus pairs perfectly with spiced meats, such as shawarma or kebab. Add some pickled vegetables and fresh herbs for a flavorful and satisfying meal.
– Avocado hummus: Mash some ripe avocado into your hummus for a creamy and healthy twist. Serve it with some corn chips or veggies for a fun and colorful appetizer.
– Greek hummus: Add some crumbled feta cheese, chopped cucumber, and cherry tomatoes to your hummus for a Mediterranean-inspired snack.
– Pistachio hummus: Top your hummus with some chopped pistachios, pomegranate seeds, and a drizzle of olive oil for a festive and flavorful dish.
No matter how you serve it, homemade hummus is a versatile and delicious addition to any meal or snack. Enjoy!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about homemade hummus is that it can be made ahead of time and stored for later use. After all, who doesn’t love having a delicious snack on hand whenever cravings strike?
To make ahead, prepare the hummus according to the recipe instructions and transfer it to an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to a week. Before serving, give it a good stir and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
If you have leftovers that you don’t want to go to waste, you can also freeze hummus. Simply transfer it to a freezer-safe container and store it in the freezer for up to three months. When you’re ready to enjoy it, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator and give it a good stir before serving.
Reheating hummus is not recommended as it can affect the texture and flavor. However, if you must reheat it, place a small amount in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds on low power, stirring occasionally. Just keep in mind that the texture may become slightly grainy.
Overall, hummus is a versatile dish that can be prepared in advance and enjoyed whenever you want. Whether you’re hosting a party or looking for a quick and easy snack, homemade hummus is sure to satisfy your cravings.
Tips for Perfect Results
Making hummus may seem like a straightforward recipe, but achieving the perfect texture and flavor can be tricky. Here are some tips to help you create a smooth and creamy hummus that will impress your family and friends.
First and foremost, it’s essential to use high-quality ingredients. Make sure to use fresh garlic cloves, lemon juice, and tahini paste. Using canned chickpeas is perfectly fine, but make sure to rinse and drain them thoroughly before using.
When it comes to blending the ingredients, you can use a food processor, a blender, or even a mortar and pestle. However, I recommend using a food processor for the best results. Start by blending the garlic and lemon juice together to create a smooth paste. Then, add the tahini paste and blend until it’s fully incorporated.
Next, add the chickpeas and blend until they’re broken down into small pieces. Scrape down the sides of the food processor and add salt, ground cumin, and paprika. Blend again until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
One of the most crucial tips for making perfect hummus is to add cold water gradually until you achieve the desired consistency. Adding too much water can make the hummus runny, while too little water can make it thick and chunky. Start with three tablespoons of cold water and add more as needed.
Another tip is to let the hummus rest for at least 30 minutes before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld and develop, resulting in a more delicious and flavorful hummus.
Finally, don’t be afraid to experiment with different flavors and variations. You can add ingredients like avocado, pine nuts, or pistachios to create unique and delicious hummus dips. You can also try making Lebanese or Greek hummus by adding different spices and herbs.
By following these tips, you’re sure to create a smooth, creamy, and delicious hummus that everyone will love.
In conclusion, this tried and true hummus recipe is not only easy to make but also incredibly delicious. With just a few simple ingredients, you can create a smooth, creamy and authentic hummus that is far superior to any store-bought version. The combination of tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and chickpeas makes for a classic Middle Eastern dip that is perfect for any occasion.
Whether you’re a hummus lover or new to the world of chickpea dips, this recipe is a must-try. It’s versatile enough to pair with a wide range of foods, from pita bread to vegetables, spiced beef or even avocado. Plus, it’s vegan-friendly and loaded with healthy ingredients like chickpeas, olive oil, and garlic.
So why settle for mediocre store-bought hummus when you can make a real, authentic hummus recipe at home? Give this recipe a try and taste the difference for yourself. You won’t be disappointed!
Tried and True Hummus Recipe
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, plus extra
- ground cumin (to garnish)
- paprika (to garnish) (optional)
- Heat chick peas and bring to a boil.
- Reserve 1/2 cup juice.
- Add all ingredients including juice in a food processor and blend until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl halfway through to make sure it is all blended.
- Pour into serving dish and sprinkle with cumin and paprika.
- top with 2 tablespoons olive oil or to taste.
- Garnish with sliced tomatoes and kalamata olives(opt).
- Serve with toasted pita bread.
- Even better the next day!
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.