Welcome to my kitchen, where I’ll be sharing one of my all-time favorite recipes: Timothy’s White Chili. This delicious and hearty dish has been passed down through generations of my family and is a staple on my dinner table during the colder months.
Perfect for a cozy night in, this white chili recipe is a crowd-pleaser that’s sure to warm you up from the inside out. With a blend of mild green chilies, tender chicken thighs, creamy white beans, and a medley of flavorful spices like cumin, cloves, and oregano, this dish strikes the perfect balance between comfort and taste.
But don’t just take my word for it. This recipe has been tried and tested by countless friends and family members who always come back for seconds. So, whether you’re cooking for a crowd or just looking for a cozy night in, Timothy’s White Chili is sure to satisfy.
So, grab your apron and let’s get started on this delicious white chicken chili recipe. I promise it will be worth it!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you tired of the same old chili recipes? Then, Timothy’s White Chili Recipe is the perfect twist you need to spice up your cooking. This unique recipe is a delightful blend of white beans, chicken broth, and mild green chilies, combined with a variety of spices like ground cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper. The result is a mouth-watering, creamy white chili that will leave you craving more.
What sets this recipe apart is its versatility. It can be made with boneless chicken thighs or shredded chicken, depending on your preference, and can be cooked in a slow cooker or on the stove. The recipe is also easy to customize by adding your favorite toppings like sour cream, cilantro, or even a spoonful of salsa verde.
Not only is this recipe delicious, but it’s also a healthier alternative to traditional chili. White beans are high in fiber and protein, making this dish a nutritious option for anyone looking to eat healthier. Plus, it’s gluten-free and can easily be made dairy-free by omitting the sour cream.
This recipe has been a hit with my family and friends, and I’m sure it will become a staple in your household too. So, whether you’re looking for a cozy dinner recipe or a dish to serve at your next gathering, Timothy’s White Chili Recipe is the perfect choice. Give it a try and let your taste buds be the judge!
Here’s what you’ll need to make Timothy’s White Chili Recipe:
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can mild green chilies, diced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream
- Salsa Verde
All the ingredients are readily available and can be found at your local grocery store. The boneless chicken thighs can be substituted with chicken breast or other parts of the chicken. If you prefer a spicier chili, you can add more cayenne pepper or diced jalapenos. You can also adjust the amount of chicken broth depending on how thick or soupy you want your chili to be. The optional toppings of sour cream, cilantro, and salsa verde add a delicious tang and freshness to the dish.
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Prepare the Beans
Before starting the recipe, it is essential to prepare the beans. Rinse and sort the 6 cups of white beans to ensure that there are no impurities. In a large pot, combine the beans and 8 cups of chicken broth. Add 2 garlic cloves minced and 2 medium onions chopped to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and let the mixture simmer until the beans are soft, approximately 2 hours, adding more chicken broth if needed.
Step 2: Prepare the Chicken
In a separate pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 lb boneless chicken thighs and cook until browned on both sides, approximately 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
Step 3: Combine the Ingredients
In the same pan, add 2 medium onions chopped and sauté until they become translucent. Add 2 cloves garlic minced, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 tablespoon oregano, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground cloves, and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the spices become fragrant.
Step 4: Slow Cook the Chili
Transfer the sautéed onions and garlic to a slow cooker. Add the cooked chicken, 2 cans of mild green chilies, 6 cups of chicken broth, and the beans and broth from step 1. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
Step 5: Cook and Serve
Cook the chili on low for 6-8 hours. Once the chili is cooked, serve it hot with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro.
Pro tip: If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can make this recipe in a large soup pot. Just follow the same steps but cook the chili over low heat for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Enjoy your hearty and delicious Timothy’s White Chili!
Substitutions and Variations
There are a few ways to switch up this white chili recipe to make it your own. Here are some substitution and variation ideas to consider:
– Protein: Instead of chicken thighs, you could use boneless chicken breasts or even ground chicken. If you prefer a vegetarian version, you could try using tofu or tempeh instead of meat.
– Beans: While this recipe calls for white beans, you could experiment with other types of beans, such as northern beans, navy beans, or even black beans for a twist on classic white chili.
– Heat: If you like your chili spicy, you can increase the amount of cayenne pepper in the recipe or add some diced jalapeno peppers. On the other hand, if you prefer a milder flavor, you can use less cayenne pepper or omit it altogether.
– Herbs and Spices: Feel free to adjust the amounts of oregano, ground cumin, and ground cloves to your liking. You could also add some fresh herbs, like cilantro or parsley, to brighten up the flavors.
– Toppings: While this recipe suggests serving the chili with sour cream and cilantro, you could also add some shredded cheese or diced avocado on top. A squeeze of lime juice can add a nice tangy flavor, too.
By experimenting with different substitutions and variations, you can make this white chili recipe truly your own. Whether you’re looking for a vegetarian twist or a spicier kick, there are plenty of ways to customize this dish to your tastes.
Serving and Pairing
This white chili recipe is a perfect meal for a cozy night in or a gathering with friends and family. The creamy and hearty texture of the chili pairs perfectly with a variety of toppings such as sour cream, cilantro, shredded cheese, diced onions, and avocado.
For a complete meal, I recommend serving this white chicken chili with a side of cornbread or tortilla chips. The sweetness of the cornbread balances out the spiciness of the chili while the saltiness of the chips adds a nice crunch to the dish.
If you’re looking for a healthier option, you can serve it with a side of brown rice or quinoa, which will complement the nuttiness of the beans in the chili.
This white chicken chili is also great for meal prepping, as it can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Simply reheat it on the stove or in the microwave for a quick and easy meal.
Overall, this white chili recipe is a versatile and satisfying dish that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight dinner or a delicious party appetizer, this recipe is sure to impress.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about Timothy’s White Chili Recipe is that it can be made in advance and stored for later. This is especially helpful when you have a busy week ahead and want to have a home-cooked meal ready to go. The chili can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat the chili, simply transfer it to a saucepan and heat on medium heat until heated through. You may need to add a little bit of chicken broth to thin it out if it has thickened in the refrigerator. Alternatively, you can reheat it in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until heated through.
If you plan on storing the chili for longer than 3 days, it can be frozen for up to 3 months. To freeze, let the chili cool completely and then transfer it to a freezer-safe container, leaving some room at the top for expansion. When ready to eat, simply thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat using one of the methods mentioned above.
One thing to keep in mind is that the chili may thicken as it sits in the refrigerator, so you may need to add a little bit of chicken broth or water when reheating to thin it out. If you prefer a thicker chili, you can reduce the amount of broth used in the recipe.
Overall, Timothy’s White Chili Recipe is a great option for make-ahead meals and leftovers. It’s easy to store and reheat, and still tastes just as delicious as when it was first made.
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure that your Timothy’s White Chili Recipe turns out perfectly every time, here are some tips that can help you:
1. Use high-quality ingredients: The key to making a delicious white chili is to use the best quality ingredients you can find. Use fresh onions and garlic cloves, high-quality chicken broth, and mild green chilies for the best flavor.
2. Don’t overcook the beans: When cooking the white beans for this recipe, be careful not to overcook them. Soften them for about 2 hours and then add the rest of the ingredients. Overcooked beans can become mushy and affect the texture of the chili.
3. Use boneless chicken thighs: Boneless chicken thighs are perfect for this recipe as they add more flavor and moisture compared to chicken breasts. They are also less likely to dry out during the cooking process.
4. Adjust the level of spiciness: This recipe calls for a moderate level of spiciness, but if you prefer your chili to be more or less spicy, you can adjust the amount of cayenne pepper or other spices to suit your taste.
5. Use a slow cooker: A slow cooker is an excellent tool for making this recipe. It allows all the flavors to blend together slowly over several hours, resulting in a rich and flavorful white chili.
6. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro: The sour cream and cilantro garnish adds the perfect finishing touch to this recipe. It balances the spiciness of the chili and helps to bring out the flavors of the other ingredients.
7. Serve with a side of cornbread: A warm and buttery piece of cornbread is the perfect side dish to this white chili recipe. It complements the flavors of the chili and helps to make the meal more filling.
By following these tips, you can create a perfect Timothy’s White Chili Recipe that is sure to impress your family and friends. Enjoy!
In conclusion, Timothy’s White Chili Recipe is a must-try for any chili lover. Its unique blend of spices and flavors makes it stand out from traditional chili recipes. This recipe is versatile and can easily be customized to fit your preferences. Whether you decide to make it in a slow cooker or on the stovetop, this white chicken chili will be sure to impress your family and friends.
With its healthy ingredients and easy preparation, this recipe is perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends. The leftovers also make for great meal prep options throughout the week.
So, next time you’re looking for a hearty and flavorful meal, give Timothy’s White Chili Recipe a try. It’s sure to become a new family favorite. Bon appétit!
Timothy’s White Chili Recipe
- 1 lb large white beans (sorted, rinsed)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mild green chilies, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
- Combine beans, broth, garlic, and half the onions in a large soup pot.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer until beans are soft (2 hours or more), adding more broth if necessary.
- In a skillet, saute remaining onions in oil until tender. Add chiles and seasonings; mix thoroughly. Add to bean mixture. Add chicken and simmer 1 hour.
- Serve topped with grated Monterey Jack cheese, salsa, and sour cream. I also like to serve tortilla chips on the side.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.