Welcome to my kitchen, where I am excited to share with you my delicious Sausage Cucumber Salad recipe. This salad is a great way to incorporate a variety of flavors and textures into your meal, making it a perfect option for any occasion. With fresh sliced cucumbers, grilled Italian sausage, and a tangy dressing, this salad is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Whether you are looking for a quick and easy lunch or a dish to bring to your next summer barbecue, this Sausage Cucumber Salad is the perfect choice. It is a light and refreshing option that is perfect for warm weather, but can also be enjoyed year-round.
With the right ingredients and a little bit of prep work, you can make this salad in no time. It is also customizable, so feel free to add your own twist to it. So, let’s get started and create a salad that is not only delicious but also healthy and satisfying.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for a delicious and refreshing salad recipe to add to your meal plan? Look no further than this sausage cucumber salad recipe! Not only is it quick and easy to make, but it’s also a healthy and flavorful dish that is perfect for summer.
One of the reasons you’ll love this recipe is because of its unique combination of ingredients. The spicy Italian sausage adds a flavorful kick to the cool and crisp cucumbers, while the fat-free cottage cheese and sour cream create a creamy and tangy dressing that complements the dish perfectly. The addition of sliced bell peppers and radishes also adds a nice crunch and a pop of color to the salad.
Another reason to love this recipe is its versatility. You can easily make substitutions or variations to suit your taste preferences or dietary restrictions. For example, you could use chicken sausages instead of spicy Italian sausage for a milder flavor, or replace the cottage cheese with quinoa or Greek yogurt for a protein boost.
Additionally, this salad is a great option for meal prep or entertaining. You can easily make a large batch ahead of time and store it in the fridge for a few days. It’s also a perfect dish to bring to a summer BBQ or potluck.
Overall, this sausage cucumber salad recipe is a delicious and healthy option that is sure to become a staple in your meal plan. So why not give it a try and see for yourself why it’s so beloved?
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s gather all the ingredients we need for this sausage cucumber salad. Here’s what you’ll need:
For the Salad:
- 1 pound of grilled Italian sausage, sliced
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 1 medium bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of sliced radish
- 1/4 cup of fat-free cottage cheese
For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of sour cream
- 1 tablespoon of Thai sausage
- 1 tablespoon of spicy sausage
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa for a quinoa salad
- 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese for a Greek salad
- 1 medium tomato, diced for a cucumber tomato salad
- 1/2 cup of sliced chicken sausages for a chicken sausage salad
- 1/2 cup of cooked pasta for a pasta salad
Make sure to check your pantry for all the ingredients before heading to the store. If you’re looking to customize the recipe or make substitutions, read on for some helpful tips.
The Recipe How-To
Grilled Italian Sausage and Cucumber Salad
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill sausages for 10-12 minutes or until fully cooked, turning them occasionally.
- Let sausages cool for a few minutes before slicing them into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Prepare cucumber by removing the seeds and slicing it into half lengthwise. Then, slice it into thin half-moon shapes.
- Prepare cucumber salad dressing by whisking together 1/2 cup of fat-free cottage cheese, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of sour cream, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Assemble the salad by placing the sliced cucumbers, 1 thinly sliced bell pepper, 4 sliced radishes, and the sliced sausages in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix everything together until well combined.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips and Recommendations
- This salad can be made with any type of sausage, such as spicy sausage, summer sausage, or chicken sausages.
- For a vegetarian version, substitute the sausage with grilled portobello mushrooms.
- To make this salad a meal in itself, add some quinoa or pasta to the mix.
- If you want to make this salad ahead of time, keep the dressing separate until you are ready to serve.
Substitutions and Variations
This sausage cucumber salad recipe is quite adaptable, so feel free to make substitutions or variations based on your taste preferences or what ingredients you have on hand. Here are some suggestions to get you started:
– Sausage: You can use any type of sausage you like, such as Italian sausage, spicy sausage, summer sausage, or chicken sausage. You can also use Chinese sausage or Thai sausage for an Asian twist. If you prefer a vegetarian version, you can skip the sausage altogether or use a plant-based sausage alternative.
– Cucumber: English cucumbers, also known as hothouse cucumbers, would work well in this recipe as they have fewer seeds and a milder flavor than regular cucumbers. You could also add sliced radish for some extra crunch and color.
– Cheese: Instead of fat-free cottage cheese, you can use plain Greek yogurt or crumbled feta cheese for a tangy flavor. If you want a creamier dressing, you can add a dollop of mayonnaise or sour cream.
– Salad greens: To make this dish more filling, you can serve it over a bed of mixed greens or spinach. You can also add cooked quinoa or pasta to turn it into a heartier salad.
– Dressing: If you prefer a lighter dressing, you can skip the olive oil and sour cream and simply toss the salad with lemon juice or vinegar. You can also add some fresh herbs like dill, parsley, or cilantro for extra flavor.
– Vegetables: You can add other vegetables to this salad, such as sliced bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, or red onion. Just make sure to adjust the seasoning accordingly.
With these substitutions and variations, you can make this sausage cucumber salad recipe your own and enjoy it all year round.
Serving and Pairing
This sausage cucumber salad is a refreshing and satisfying dish that can be served as a main meal or as a side dish at any gathering. It is perfect for a summer barbecue or a potluck party. The crisp and juicy cucumbers paired with the savory sausage make for a delectable combination that everyone will enjoy.
To serve, simply scoop the salad onto a plate or bowl and garnish with some fresh herbs for added flavor and presentation. This salad pairs well with a variety of dishes, such as grilled meats, seafood, or roasted vegetables. It also goes well with pasta salad, quinoa salad, or a Greek salad.
If you want to make it a complete meal, you can add some carbohydrates, such as bread or potatoes, as well as some healthy fats, such as avocado or nuts. You can also top it with some crumbled feta cheese or grated Parmesan cheese for added richness.
For a fun twist, try adding some sliced radish or bell pepper to the salad for an extra crunch and spice. You can also substitute the sausage with a spicy sausage or a chicken sausage for a healthier option.
Overall, this sausage cucumber salad is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed in many different ways. It is a perfect addition to any meal and is sure to satisfy any appetite.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This sausage cucumber salad recipe is perfect for making ahead of time and storing for later. It’s a great dish to bring to a summer barbecue or potluck, as it can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
To make ahead of time, simply prepare the salad according to the recipe instructions and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. The longer the salad sits, the more the flavors will meld together, so it’s actually a good idea to make this salad ahead of time if you can.
When it comes time to serve, simply give the salad a quick stir to redistribute any dressing that may have settled on the bottom. If the salad seems a bit dry, you can add a bit more dressing or sour cream to moisten it up.
If you have any leftovers, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Just be aware that the cucumbers will release some water as they sit, so the salad may be a bit more liquidy the next day.
To reheat the sausage cucumber salad, you can either microwave it for a few seconds to take the chill off or serve it cold. This salad is meant to be served cold, so it’s actually perfect for hot summer days when you don’t want to turn on the oven.
Overall, this sausage cucumber salad recipe is a great make-ahead dish that you can prepare in advance and store for later. It’s also a versatile dish that can be served as a side dish, or as a main course if you add some pasta or quinoa to bulk it up a bit.
Tips for Perfect Results
As a chef, I want to share with you some tips to ensure that your Sausage Cucumber Salad comes out perfectly every time.
Firstly, when slicing the cucumbers, it is important to remove the seeds to prevent the salad from becoming watery. To do this, simply cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Then, slice the cucumbers thinly and rinse the slices in cold water to remove any remaining seeds.
Secondly, when grilling the Italian or Thai sausages, be sure to preheat the grill to high heat to ensure that the sausages cook evenly. Brush the sausages with olive oil before placing them on the grill to prevent them from sticking. Cook the sausages for about 10 minutes, flipping them occasionally until they are cooked through and have a nice char.
Thirdly, when making the dressing for the salad, I recommend using fat-free cottage cheese instead of sour cream. This will reduce the fat content of the dressing while still giving it a creamy texture. Add 1-2 tablespoons of sour cream to the dressing for a tangy flavor.
Lastly, if you want to add some crunch to the salad, you can add thinly sliced bell peppers, radishes or even cooked quinoa. These ingredients will add a nice texture to the salad and make it more filling.
By using these tips, you can ensure that your Sausage Cucumber Salad turns out perfectly every time. It’s a great dish for summer barbecues or as a side dish for a modest feast. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different types of sausages, such as spicy sausage, chicken sausage or even Chinese sausage. The possibilities are endless with this delicious salad recipe.
Before we wrap up this sausage cucumber salad recipe, let’s go through some frequently asked questions that you might have. From ingredient substitutions to serving suggestions, I’ve got you covered. So, let’s dive into the FAQ section!
How do you keep cucumber salad from getting soggy?
When preparing cucumbers for a salad, it’s important to remove excess moisture from them. One way to achieve this is through a process called osmosis. By adding salt to the sliced cucumbers, the salt draws out the extra moisture in the vegetable, leaving you with a slightly drier cucumber that won’t ruin your salad. This method is effective in preventing your salad from becoming watery and ensuring the cucumbers retain their crispness.
Do you leave skin on cucumber for salad?
When it comes to consuming cucumbers in their raw form, there is no need to peel off the skin or extract the seeds. However, if the cucumber has been waxed to give it a polished look or if it’s intended for cooking, it’s best to peel off the skin with a sharp knife or vegetable peeler. Sometimes, larger cucumbers can have tough seeds that may need to be removed.
What does a cucumber salad contain?
One of the quintessential salads of summertime is the classic cucumber and onion salad. This refreshing dish is dressed with a creamy sauce that can differ from recipe to recipe, but typically contains sour cream or yogurt, some form of acid, such as lemon juice or vinegar, a hint of sweetness, and dill.
How long does cucumber salad last in the fridge?
Creamy cucumber salad has a shelf life of 4-5 days when refrigerated, although it is recommended to consume it on the same day it is prepared for optimal taste.
In conclusion, this sausage cucumber salad recipe is a perfect addition to your meal plan. It is quick, easy, and packed with flavors that will leave your taste buds craving for more. It is also versatile and can be adapted to fit different dietary needs, making it a great option for those with food restrictions.
Whether you are looking for a light and refreshing salad for lunch or a delicious side dish for dinner, this sausage cucumber salad is the perfect option. With its combination of juicy cucumbers, savory sausage, and creamy fat-free cottage cheese, this salad is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
So, why not give this recipe a try and see for yourself just how tasty and easy it is? I guarantee that you won’t be disappointed!
Sausage Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 healthy choice sausage links, sliced
- 1/2 large cucumber, peeled,sliced and quartered
- Warm sausage in microwave for 3 minutes just to warm.
- Mix all ingredients together.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.