Delicious and Healthy Rice/Oat Milk Recipe
Welcome to my Just Right Rice/Oat Milk recipe! As a chef, I know how important it is to have a good milk alternative that can be used in many recipes. Whether you have a dairy allergy or are trying to cut back on dairy, this homemade oat milk and rice milk recipe is a great alternative to cow’s milk. The combination of cooked rice and rolled oats makes for a smooth and creamy texture that is perfect for adding to your morning coffee or tea, using in recipes like rice pudding or vegan rice pudding, or simply enjoying on its own.
I have been on a mission to create the perfect oat milk and rice milk recipe for a while now, and I am excited to share it with you. Not only is it easy to make, but it is also gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan. Plus, it’s a great way to use up leftover cooked rice!
In this recipe article, I will guide you through the ingredients and steps to make this delicious milk alternative. I will also provide substitutions and variations, as well as tips for perfect results. So, let’s get started and make some Just Right Rice/Oat Milk!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you searching for a delicious non-dairy milk recipe that is easy to make and customizable to fit your preferences? Look no further than this Just Right Rice/Oat Milk Recipe. Not only is this recipe dairy-free and gluten-free, but it is also incredibly versatile and can be used in a variety of ways.
One reason you’ll love this recipe is its simplicity. With just a few ingredients, including cooked rice, rolled oats, honey, vanilla, and sea salt, this milk recipe is easy to make in the comfort of your own home. Plus, it takes just 30 seconds to blend together, making it a quick and convenient option for busy mornings or last-minute baking projects.
Another reason to love this recipe is its versatility. You can use this oat milk recipe as a base for rice pudding, milk rice, or any other recipe that calls for milk. Plus, you can easily adjust the sweetness, saltiness, and thickness of the milk to suit your taste buds.
One more reason to love this recipe is its nutrition. Unlike cow’s milk, this recipe is non-dairy, making it a perfect option for those with lactose intolerance or vegan dietary needs. Additionally, this recipe is packed with healthy carbohydrates and fiber, making it a great choice for anyone looking to add more whole grains to their diet.
Overall, this Just Right Rice/Oat Milk Recipe is a must-try for anyone looking for a delicious and healthy non-dairy milk alternative. Give it a shot and see why it’s quickly becoming a new favorite for many.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make Just Right Rice/Oat Milk Recipe:
- 1 cup of cooked rice (white rice or brown rice)
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons of honey (optional)
These ingredients are all you need to create a creamy and delicious homemade oat milk and rice milk recipe that is not only vegan, but also gluten-free and dairy-free. You can adjust the amount of honey to your liking, depending on how sweet you want your milk to be. The sea salt is added to enhance the flavor, while the vanilla adds a delicious aroma to the milk.
The Recipe How-To
Blend the Oats and Rice
To start, blend together 1 cup of cooked rice, 2 cups of water, and 1/2 cup of rolled oats. Blend the ingredients for about 30 seconds or until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Next, add in 2 teaspoons of honey, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, and a pinch of sea salt to taste. Blend the mixture again for a few seconds to combine all the flavors.
Strain and Chill
Now, you can strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer or a cheesecloth over a large bowl. Press the mixture with a spatula or spoon to extract all the liquid. Discard the pulp or save it for another recipe.
Serve or Store
You can serve the oat milk immediately, or chill it in the fridge for a few hours until cold. The homemade oat milk will last for up to 5 days in the fridge, but make sure to shake it well before using it, as it can separate over time.
You can also make rice pudding with this rice oat milk recipe. Simply mix one part of cooked rice with four parts of oat milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in 1/4 cup of honey or sugar, and stir constantly until the pudding thickens, about 20-30 minutes. You can also add in cinnamon or nutmeg for extra flavor. Serve the rice pudding warm or chilled, with some fresh fruits or nuts on top.
Substitutions and Variations
If you don’t have rolled oats, you can use old-fashioned oatmeal instead. If you don’t have cooked rice, you can make it fresh or use leftover rice. You can also use other types of non-dairy milk, such as almond milk, soy milk, cashew milk, or coconut milk, instead of oat milk.
Tips for Perfect Results
Make sure to blend the oats and rice well to get a smooth and creamy texture. Use enough water to cover the oats and rice, but not too much, or the milk will be too watery. Adjust the sweetness and saltiness to your liking. Use a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth to remove any pulp or grainy bits from the milk. Chill the milk well before using it, and shake it well before each use.
Is this recipe gluten-free? Yes, this recipe is gluten-free if you use gluten-free oats and rice.
Is this recipe vegan? Yes, this recipe is vegan and dairy-free.
Can I use cow’s milk instead of oat milk? Yes, you can use cow’s
Substitutions and Variations
The beauty of this recipe is that it’s highly customizable, so feel free to make substitutions and variations based on your preferences and dietary restrictions.
– Milk: This recipe calls for oat milk, but you can use any non-dairy milk of your choice, such as almond milk, soy milk, cashew milk, or coconut milk. If you prefer dairy milk, you can use that as well.
– Rice: Instead of cooked rice, you can use uncooked white rice or brown rice. Keep in mind that the cooking time may vary depending on the rice you use.
– Rolled oats: If you don’t have rolled oats, you can use old-fashioned oatmeal instead. Just make sure to blend it well with enough water to achieve a smooth consistency.
– Sweetener: I like to use honey as a natural sweetener, but you can use any sweetener of your choice, such as maple syrup, agave nectar, or stevia. Adjust the amount according to your taste.
– Flavorings: Vanilla and sea salt are the key flavorings in this recipe, but you can experiment with other spices and extracts, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, or almond extract.
– Ratio: This recipe uses one part cooked rice to two parts rolled oats, but you can adjust the ratio to your liking. If you want a creamier texture, use more rice. If you want a thicker consistency, use more rolled oats.
– Slimy oat milk: If your oat milk turns out slimy, it’s probably because you blended the oats for too long. To avoid this, blend the oats for only 30 seconds and strain the milk through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth.
By making these substitutions and variations, you can create a wide range of recipes, from rice pudding to oat milk rice to vegan rice pudding. Be creative and have fun!
Serving and Pairing
This Just Right Rice/Oat Milk Recipe is a versatile milk alternative that can be enjoyed in so many ways. It is perfect for those who are looking for a dairy-free and gluten-free alternative to cow’s milk. Here are some ideas on how to serve and pair this delicious milk:
– Enjoy it on its own: The natural sweetness of the rice and oats combined with a touch of honey and vanilla makes this milk perfect to drink on its own. It is creamy, smooth, and refreshing.
– Use it in your morning coffee or tea: This milk is a great addition to your morning cup of coffee or tea. It adds a subtle sweetness and creaminess that complements the flavors of your favorite hot beverage.
– Pour it over your cereal: This milk is a great alternative to dairy milk for your breakfast cereal. It is light and refreshing, and it won’t overpower the flavors of your cereal.
– Use it in smoothies: This milk is a great base for smoothies. It adds a natural sweetness and creaminess that will make your smoothies taste amazing.
– Pair it with desserts: This milk is perfect for making rice pudding or any other dessert that requires milk. It adds a unique flavor that will make your dessert taste extra special.
– Serve it with cookies: This milk is perfect for dipping your favorite cookies into. It adds a subtle sweetness and creaminess that complements the flavors of your cookies.
Overall, this Just Right Rice/Oat Milk Recipe is a versatile milk alternative that can be enjoyed in so many ways. It is perfect for those who are looking for a non-dairy and gluten-free alternative to cow’s milk.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the things I love about this homemade oat milk and rice milk recipe is that it can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for several days. This means you can enjoy it at any time without having to go through the hassle of making it from scratch every day.
To store the milk, simply pour it into an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to 5 days, but make sure to give it a good shake before using it as it can separate a bit after sitting for a while.
If you find that your oat milk or rice milk has become a bit slimy or has an off-taste, it’s time to toss it out and make a fresh batch. This can happen if the milk has been stored for too long or has not been stored properly.
When it comes to reheating the milk, you can do so gently on the stovetop or in the microwave. Just make sure not to overheat it as this can cause the milk to separate or become too thick.
If you’re planning on using the milk in a recipe, it’s best to add it towards the end of cooking to prevent curdling. It’s also important to note that this oat milk and rice milk recipe works great as a dairy-free substitute in recipes that call for cow’s milk.
Overall, this make-ahead, storing, and reheating section shows that this recipe is not only easy to make but also convenient for everyday use. By following these simple steps, you’ll be able to enjoy fresh and delicious oat milk and rice milk whenever you want.
Tips for Perfect Results
Making the perfect rice/oat milk can be a bit tricky, but with these tips, you will be able to achieve the best results every time.
Firstly, when blending together the oats or rice with water, make sure you blend them for at least 30 seconds. This will help break down the grains and create a smooth consistency.
Secondly, it’s important to use the right ratio of oats or rice to water. For every one part of oats or rice, use four parts of water. This will give you the perfect creamy texture for your milk.
If you want a thinner consistency, you can adjust the ratio by adding more water. On the other hand, if you want a thicker consistency for rice pudding or milk rice pudding, you can use less water.
To make oat milk, blend together 1/2 cup of rolled oats with 2 cups of water. Add a pinch of sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon of honey for sweetness.
To make rice oat milk, blend together 1 cup of cooked rice with 3 cups of water. Add a pinch of sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon of honey for sweetness.
If you’re using old-fashioned oatmeal, soak the oats in enough water to cover them for at least 30 minutes before blending. This will help prevent slimy oat milk.
Lastly, if you’re looking for a non-dairy alternative, you can substitute the water with almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, or any other nut milk of your choice. Homemade oat milk or rice milk is a great dairy-free and gluten-free alternative to cow’s milk.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create the perfect rice/oat milk for any recipe.
In conclusion, this Just Right Rice/Oat Milk Recipe is a fantastic alternative for those who are looking for a dairy-free and gluten-free option. With its creamy texture and delicious taste, it’s perfect for drinking on its own, adding to your morning coffee or tea, or using in recipes like rice pudding or oatmeal. Plus, with the added benefits of being homemade, you know exactly what’s going into your milk and can adjust the recipe to suit your preferences. So why not give it a try? Whether you’re looking for a healthier option or just want to switch things up, the Just Right Rice/Oat Milk Recipe is definitely worth a try.
Just Right Rice/Oat Milk Recipe
- 1/2 cup cooked rice (I cook a whole batch of brown rice, then freeze 1/2 cup portions)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (uncooked)
- 6 cups water (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Add rice and oats to 2 cups water. Bring to boiling, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add other ingredients while combination is still warm, so honey dissolves easily,.
- Blend together in a blender. Start at low speed, increasing speed to high gradually, until well blended.
- Add 2 cups of water (Can use ice cubes for part of this to cool milk more quickly), blending thoroughly.
- Have the remaining 2 cups of water (include part as ice cubes here too, if desired) waiting in a container.
- Strain the rice/oat mixture through a fine sieve. (I think the strained solids are a tasty small serving of cooked cereal).
- Add rice/oat milk to the water in container and shake well. This may be too thick for your liking. Just add more water until it reaches the desired consistency.
- (cooking time doesn't include time to cook rice before adding to recipe).
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.