German Strawberry Tart / Erdbeer Tortenboden Recipe
Get ready to indulge in a delicious German dessert with this irresistible Strawberry Tart recipe, also known as Erdbeer Tortenboden. This traditional German fruit tart is a perfect blend of light sponge cake, creamy filling, and fresh strawberries.
Growing up in Germany, I have always loved this cake for its simplicity and versatility. It is a classic dessert that is perfect for any occasion, from a casual family dinner to a fancy dinner party.
In this recipe, I will share with you the secrets to making a perfect Strawberry Tart that will become a staple in your dessert rotation. With a few simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you can create a beautiful and delicious dessert that will impress your friends and family.
So, put on your apron, preheat your oven, and let’s get baking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you are a fan of strawberries and desserts, then this German Strawberry Tart recipe or Erdbeer Tortenboden Recipe is a must-try. This mouth-watering dessert is a traditional German baking classic that will take your taste buds on a delicious journey.
One of the reasons why you’ll love this recipe is the fresh and juicy strawberries that are the star of the show. The strawberries are arranged beautifully on top of the sponge cake, making it a feast for the eyes as well as the palate. The combination of the tangy and sweet flavors of the strawberries with the fluffy sponge cake is simply divine.
Another reason why this recipe is so special is its versatility. You can serve it as a dessert for a fancy dinner party, or as a sweet treat for a casual afternoon tea. It is perfect for any occasion and can be enjoyed by people of all ages.
Moreover, this recipe is easy to make and requires only a few ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. The simplicity of the ingredients and the recipe instructions make it perfect for beginner bakers who are looking to try their hand at traditional German baking.
Lastly, this recipe is customizable. You can substitute the strawberries with any other fresh fruit of your choice, such as raspberries or blueberries. You can also experiment with different pastry crusts or use a lemon cake instead of a sponge cake for the base.
In conclusion, this German Strawberry Tart recipe or Erdbeer Tortenboden Recipe is a delicious and versatile dessert that is perfect for any occasion. The fresh and juicy strawberries, the fluffy sponge cake, and the simplicity of the recipe make it a must-try dessert for any strawberry lover.
Let’s start with the ingredient list for this German Strawberry Tart, also known as Erdbeer Tortenboden. This delicious dessert requires simple and common ingredients that you might already have in your pantry. Here’s what you need:
For the pastry crust:
- 1 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons of cold water
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup of strawberry jam
- 500g of fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Powdered sugar for dusting
You can adjust the amount of sugar according to your preference and the sweetness of the strawberries. Make sure to use fresh and ripe strawberries to get the best flavor. Now that we have all the ingredients ready, let’s move on to the recipe how-to.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have gathered all the ingredients, it’s time to get started with the recipe. Don’t worry, it’s not as hard as it may seem. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make the German Strawberry Tart.
- 15 minutes
- 25 minutes
- 8 servings
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and butter a 9-inch tart pan.
Step 2: Make the Crust
In a mixing bowl, whisk together 1 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of sugar. Then, add 1 egg and 3 tablespoons of melted butter, and mix until well combined.
Press the mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the buttered tart pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust is lightly golden.
Step 3: Make the Filling
In a mixing bowl, beat 2 eggs with 1/2 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Add 50 g of flour, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and mix until well combined.
Step 4: Assemble the Tart
Spread 3 tablespoons of strawberry jam over the bottom of the tart crust. Then, arrange 2 cups of fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced, over the jam. Pour the filling over the strawberries, and spread evenly.
Step 5: Bake the Tart
Bake the tart for 25 minutes or until the filling is set and lightly golden. Let it cool completely before slicing and serving.
Serve the German Strawberry Tart with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It makes a perfect dessert for any occasion.
- You can use any other fruit of your choice, such as raspberries, blueberries, or peaches, instead of strawberries.
- For a gluten-free version, use almond flour instead of all-purpose flour.
- You can also add a layer of pastry cream or custard before arranging the fruit.
- Make sure to cool the tart completely before slicing to ensure clean cuts.
- You can make the crust and filling ahead of time and assemble the tart just before baking.
- Don’t overfill the tart with fruit, as it may make the filling runny.
- Use fresh strawberries for the best flavor and texture.
- You can also dust the tart with powdered sugar before serving for an extra touch of sweetness.
Now that you know how to make this delicious German Strawberry Tart, give it a try and impress your friends and family with your baking skills!
Substitutions and Variations
If you’re feeling adventurous and want to change things up a bit, there are plenty of substitutions and variations you can make to this German Strawberry Tart recipe. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
– Fruit: While this recipe calls for fresh strawberries, you can easily substitute other fresh fruits such as raspberries, blueberries, or even peaches. Just make sure to adjust the amount of sugar you use accordingly, as some fruits may be sweeter or more tart than others.
– Pastry Crust: Instead of using a sponge cake base, you can make a traditional pastry crust for your tart. Just follow your favorite recipe for a basic pie crust and bake it in a tart pan before adding your filling.
– Lemon Cake: For a tangy twist on this recipe, consider using a lemon sponge cake as your base instead of a vanilla one. This will pair wonderfully with the sweetness of the strawberries.
– Strawberry Jam: If fresh strawberries aren’t in season, you can use strawberry jam instead. Just spread a thin layer of jam over your sponge cake base before adding your filling.
– Toppings: You can get creative with your toppings and add things like whipped cream, chopped nuts, or even a drizzle of chocolate sauce. Just remember that the star of this dessert is the fresh fruit, so don’t go overboard with the toppings.
Whatever substitutions or variations you choose to make, be sure to experiment with different flavors and textures until you find the perfect combination that suits your taste buds.
Serving and Pairing
This German Strawberry Tart, also known as Erdbeer Tortenboden, is a stunning dessert that is perfect for any occasion. The sweet and juicy strawberries are the star of the show in this dessert, and they pair perfectly with a variety of different flavors.
To serve this tart, I recommend cutting it into wedges and serving it with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The creaminess of the whipped cream or ice cream adds a wonderful contrast to the tartness of the strawberries.
If you’re looking for a beverage to pair with this dessert, I recommend a glass of sparkling wine or champagne. The bubbles in the wine help to cut through the sweetness of the tart and cleanse your palate between bites.
Another great pairing for this dessert is a cup of hot tea or coffee. The warmth of the beverage helps to balance out the coolness of the tart and makes for a comforting and satisfying experience.
This German Strawberry Tart also makes a great addition to any dessert platter or fruit tray. The vibrant colors of the strawberries and the pastry crust make for an eye-catching display that is sure to impress your guests.
No matter how you choose to serve this dessert, it is sure to be a hit. The combination of sweet and tart flavors, along with the light and airy sponge cake, make for a delicious and refreshing dessert that is perfect for any time of year.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This German Strawberry Tart is a perfect make-ahead dessert for any occasion. You can make the pastry crust and the strawberry filling a day ahead and assemble the tart just before serving. This way, you can save time and still impress your guests with a beautiful and delicious dessert.
To store the tart, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the tart for up to 2 months. Just make sure to wrap it tightly with several layers of plastic wrap and store it in an airtight container.
To reheat the tart, take it out of the refrigerator or freezer and let it come to room temperature for about 30 minutes. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and place the tart on the middle rack. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the crust is crispy and the filling is warm. You can also reheat individual slices in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds.
One thing to keep in mind is that the strawberry filling may become a bit watery after reheating, especially if you freeze the tart. To prevent this, you can sprinkle some cornstarch over the sliced strawberries before assembling the tart.
Overall, this German Strawberry Tart is a versatile and easy dessert that you can make ahead and store for later. Whether you serve it as a fresh fruit tart or a classic strawberry sponge cake, it’s sure to impress your family and friends.
Tips for Perfect Results
Creating the perfect German Strawberry Tart requires a little bit of finesse, but don’t worry, I’ve got you covered! Here are some tips to ensure every step of this recipe is a success:
1. Use fresh strawberries: This recipe is centered around the sweet and juicy flavor of fresh strawberries. To get the best results, make sure to use perfectly ripe strawberries that are in season. This will give the tart a burst of natural sweetness and a beautiful pink color.
2. Cream the eggs and sugar: When making the sponge cake for the base of the tart, it’s crucial to cream the eggs and sugar for a long time. This will make the mixture light and fluffy, resulting in a tender sponge cake.
3. Sift the flour: Sifting the flour before adding it to the egg mixture is important to prevent lumps and ensure the sponge cake is light and airy.
4. Add vanilla extract: Adding a splash of vanilla extract to the sponge cake batter will give it a warm and comforting flavor that pairs perfectly with the strawberries.
5. Use strawberry jam: To add an extra layer of flavor to the tart, spread a thin layer of strawberry jam over the sponge cake before arranging the strawberries on top. This will give the tart a beautiful shine and enhance the strawberry flavor.
6. Chill the tart: After assembling the tart, it’s important to chill it in the refrigerator for at least an hour. This will help set the filling and make it easier to cut and serve.
7. Experiment with variations: While this recipe is delicious as is, don’t be afraid to experiment with different variations. Try adding other fresh fruits or using different jams for the filling.
8. Serve with whipped cream: A dollop of fresh whipped cream on top of each slice of tart is the perfect finishing touch. The creaminess pairs perfectly with the sweet and tart flavors of the strawberries.
Follow these tips, and you’ll have a beautiful and delicious German Strawberry Tart that will impress all your friends and family.
In conclusion, this German Strawberry Tart or Erdbeer Tortenboden recipe is a must-try for all baking enthusiasts out there. With its fluffy sponge cake base, sweet and tangy strawberry filling, and buttery pastry crust, it is a delightful treat that will surely impress your guests.
Whether you’re a fan of fruit tarts, sponge cakes, or traditional German baking, this recipe has something for everyone. You can even customize it to your liking by adding different types of fresh fruit or experimenting with different flavors of jam.
So why not give this recipe a try and taste for yourself why German strawberry desserts are so beloved? With its simple ingredients, easy-to-follow directions, and delicious results, it’s the perfect dessert for any occasion. Happy baking!
German Strawberry Tart / Erdbeer Tortenboden Recipe
- 50 g superfine sugar, plus
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 50 g flour, plus
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 2 eggs
- 225 g strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam or 3 tablespoons glaze
- Grease an 8 inch (20cm) raised-based flan tin. Sprinkle over 2 tsp sugar and tilt to coat evenly. Add 1 level tsp flour and coat similarly, knocking out any excess.
- Place the eggs and remaining sugar in a deep bowl and whisk until the mixture is very thick. Sift the flour over the surface of the mixture. Fold in gently with a metal spoon, then turn into the prepared tin and tilt to level the surface.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 180 degrees C for 20-25 minutes until the sponge springs back when pressed lightly. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Arrange the sliced fruit in the flan case. Put the strawberry jam and 1 tbsp water in a small saucepan and heat gently together until liquid. Cool a little then brush over the fruit.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.