Desperation Mustard Sardines over Rice Recipe
Welcome to my Desperation Mustard Sardines over Rice Recipe! As a chef, I know that sometimes you have to get creative in the kitchen when you’re short on time and ingredients. This recipe is perfect for those moments of desperation, when you need a quick, healthy, and delicious meal that won’t break the bank.
Sardines are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for heart health and brain function. They’re also a sustainable and affordable choice of seafood, making them a great addition to any pantry. Combined with tangy Dijon mustard and zesty lemon juice, this recipe packs a flavorful punch that will leave your taste buds satisfied and your body nourished.
Whether you’re a seasoned home cook or a beginner looking to try something new, this recipe is sure to impress. So, let’s get started and whip up some Desperation Mustard Sardines over Rice!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you tired of the same old boring meals? Do you want to mix things up in the kitchen and try something new? Look no further than this Desperation Mustard Sardines over Rice Recipe! Trust me, you’ll love it.
First of all, this recipe is packed with flavor. The combination of Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and dried dill weed gives the sardines a tangy kick that will leave your taste buds begging for more. Plus, the addition of mustard seeds adds a nice texture to the dish.
Not only is this recipe delicious, but it’s also incredibly easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have a tasty meal on the table in no time. And the best part? It’s a one-pot wonder! The sardines and rice cook together, making clean-up a breeze.
But the real reason you’ll love this recipe? It’s good for you! Sardines are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for heart health. And by serving the sardines over brown rice, you’re incorporating whole grains into your diet.
So, what are you waiting for? Give this Desperation Mustard Sardines over Rice Recipe a try. You won’t be disappointed!
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this Desperation Mustard Sardines over Rice recipe:
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 1 can of sardines in tomato sauce
- 1 can of herring fillets in olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
The star of the show is the sardines in tomato sauce, but the herring fillets add a nice depth of flavor to the dish. The combination of these two canned fish options provides an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, making this recipe not only delicious but also nutritious. The Dijon mustard, lemon juice, dried dill weed, and mustard seeds add a tangy and slightly spicy flavor to the dish, while the tomato sauce gives it a rich and savory taste. The brown rice complements the sardines well and provides a serving of whole grains.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we’ve covered the ingredient list, let’s dive into how to make this Desperation Mustard Sardines over Rice Recipe.
Step 1: Cook the Rice
Start by cooking 1 cup of brown rice according to the package instructions. This will take around 30-40 minutes, so feel free to start preparing the other ingredients in the meantime.
Step 2: Prepare the Sardines Mixture
In a separate bowl, mix together 1 can of sardines in tomato sauce, 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon of dried dill weed, and 1/4 teaspoon of mustard seeds. Use a fork to break up the sardines and mix everything together well.
Step 3: Cook the Sardines Mixture
In a large skillet or wok, heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the sardines mixture to the skillet and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Step 4: Add the Tomato Sauce
Add 1/2 cup of tomato sauce to the skillet and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes, until everything is heated through.
Step 5: Serve over Rice
Finally, serve the sardines mixture over the cooked brown rice. You can top the dish with additional lemon juice or soy sauce, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious and nutritious Desperation Mustard Sardines over Rice Recipe!
Step 6: Optional – Add Vegetables
If you want to add more vegetables, feel free to stir-fry some bell peppers, onions, or broccoli in the skillet before adding the sardines mixture. This will add more flavor, texture, and nutrients to the dish.
Substitutions and Variations
While this Desperation Mustard Sardines over Rice Recipe is already a delicious and unique dish, there are always ways to mix things up in the kitchen. Here are some substitution and variation ideas to help you create your own twist on this recipe:
– Herring fillets: If you can’t find herring fillets, you can easily substitute them with other small canned fish like sardines, salmon or even mackerel. Just make sure they’re packed in tomato sauce to keep the savory flavor profile of the dish.
– Rice: Brown rice is a great choice for this recipe because of its nutty flavor and texture. However, you could try other whole grains like quinoa, bulgur, or even barley for a heartier option.
– Mustard: If you’re not a fan of Dijon mustard, you could try 1 teaspoon of whole grain mustard or even spicy brown mustard to give the dish a little kick.
– Dill: Dried dill weed is recommended in this recipe, but you could try 1/4 tsp of ground mustard instead for a different burst of flavor.
– Soy sauce: If you want to give this dish an Asian twist, add a tablespoon of soy sauce to the rice during the cooking process or drizzle it over the finished dish for a salty umami flavor.
– Spanish rice: For a completely different take on this recipe, substitute the rice for Spanish rice, which is flavored with tomatoes, onions, and spices like chili powder and cumin.
– Tinned sardines: If you have tinned sardines on hand, you can use them in place of canned sardines. Just make sure they’re boneless and skinless for easy preparation.
By experimenting with these substitutions and variations, you can make this recipe your own and discover new flavors and combinations that you love.
Serving and Pairing
This Desperation Mustard Sardines over Rice Recipe is a complete meal on its own, but it doesn’t hurt to add some sides to complement the dish. You can serve this dish with a simple salad or some steamed greens, like broccoli or asparagus, to add some fiber and nutrients to your plate.
Additionally, this recipe pairs well with Spanish rice or fried rice. Spanish rice has a smoky flavor that goes well with the sardines’ earthy taste, while fried rice adds an extra layer of texture to the dish. You can also try serving this recipe with a side of soy sauce to add a touch of umami and saltiness to the dish.
For those who prefer a more traditional approach, you can serve this dish with a side of brown rice or any other whole grains. The nutty flavor of brown rice pairs well with the sardines’ rich and savory taste, and the whole grains will provide you with a good source of fiber and protein.
In terms of beverages, you can pair this dish with a crisp white wine, like sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio, to balance the flavors of the sardines and mustard sauce. Alternatively, you can try a light beer or a sparkling water with a slice of lemon for a refreshing drink.
In conclusion, this Desperation Mustard Sardines over Rice Recipe is a versatile dish that pairs well with many sides and beverages. Whether you prefer a simple salad or some Spanish rice, this recipe is sure to satisfy your taste buds and provide you with a healthy and nutritious meal.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
If you’re someone who loves meal prepping or just wants to save some time during the week, this Desperation Mustard Sardines over Rice recipe is a great option to make ahead. Cooked rice can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days, so you can easily make a big batch on Sunday and have it ready to go for the rest of the week.
When it comes to storing the sardines, it’s best to keep them in the can until you’re ready to use them. Once opened, transfer any leftover sardines to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
To reheat the rice, simply pop it in the microwave for a minute or two until it’s heated through. If you’re reheating a larger portion, you can also use a saucepan on medium heat with a splash of water to prevent the rice from drying out.
If you’re reheating the sardines, it’s best to do so in a saucepan on low heat to prevent them from becoming too dry or overcooked. Be sure to add a splash of olive oil or water to the pan to keep the sardines moist and flavorful.
Overall, this recipe is a great option for meal prep and leftovers. The rice and sardines can be stored separately and reheated easily for a quick and healthy meal.
Tips for Perfect Results
As a chef, I know the importance of small details that can make a huge difference in the final dish. Here are some tips that will help you achieve perfect results when making Desperation Mustard Sardines over Rice recipe:
1. Use the Best Quality Sardines: The quality of the sardines matters. Look for sardines that are packed in olive oil or tomato sauce, and make sure they are sustainably sourced. I recommend using tinned sardines that are boneless, skinless, and have a firm texture.
2. Don’t Overcook the Sardines: Sardines are delicate fish, and they can overcook easily. Cook them just until they are heated through, and remove them from the heat immediately. Overcooked sardines can become dry and rubbery.
3. Brown Rice is the Best Option: Brown rice is a great option for this recipe because it has a nutty flavor and a slightly chewy texture. It also contains more fiber and nutrients than white rice. If you prefer white rice, try to use a long-grain variety like Basmati.
4. Use Dried Dill Weed: Dill weed is a key ingredient in this recipe because it complements the flavor of the mustard and the sardines. However, fresh dill can be hard to find, and it can be expensive. Dried dill weed is a great substitute that is readily available, inexpensive, and has a long shelf life.
5. Experiment with Different Mustard Varieties: Dijon mustard is the classic choice for this recipe, but you can experiment with other mustard varieties to add different flavors and textures to the dish. Mustard seeds, for example, can add a crunchy texture, while whole grain mustard can add a rustic flavor.
6. Serve with Whole Grains: If you want to make this dish even healthier, consider serving it with a side of whole grains like quinoa or barley. These grains will complement the nutty flavor of the brown rice and add more fiber and nutrients to the meal.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to make Desperation Mustard Sardines over Rice recipe that is flavorful, nutritious, and satisfying.
In conclusion, the Desperation Mustard Sardines over Rice Recipe is an easy, affordable, and healthy meal option that you can make in just a few minutes. With the combination of savory sardines and tangy mustard, this dish is sure to become a new favorite for you and your family. Additionally, the omega-3 found in the sardines makes this dish an excellent choice for those looking to boost their health.
Whether you’re a fan of sardines or trying them for the first time, this recipe is definitely worth a try. Plus, with the ability to substitute some of the ingredients or add your own twist, you can make it your own. So why not give it a shot? You may just find a new go-to meal that you can whip up whenever you’re in a pinch.
Thank you for reading this recipe article and I hope you enjoy making the Desperation Mustard Sardines over Rice Recipe as much as I do. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments below and happy cooking!
Desperation Mustard Sardines over Rice Recipe
- 1 cup rice, dry
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (you could try 1/4 tsp ground mustard)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed (you could try 1/4 tsp ground coriander)
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed, divided
- 2 tablespoons ranch dressing
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons horseradish mustard (stoneground) or 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 (3 3/4 ounce) can herring fillets or (3 3/4 ounce) can sardines, in mustard sauce
- I used a rice cooker to prepare the rice, but you could also steam it on the stove (carefully!). Mix 2 cups water, the coriander seeds, the mustard seeds, and 1 tsp dill weed with the rice; (if stovetop bring to a boil and) cook 20 min till rice is done. If you're preparing the rice on the stovetop you may want to wait and add the dill after the rice is cooked.
- Mix ranch dressing, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and the other 1 tsp dill weed in a small dish to make a dressing.
- When rice is done, put in serving dishes. Top with herring steaks (and the sauce from the can); top that with the ranch dressing mixture. Serve.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.