Welcome to my calypso rice and beans recipe – a dish inspired by the flavors of the Caribbean. This recipe is a perfect mix of sweet and savory, and it’s sure to impress your taste buds. With its fragrant aroma and colorful presentation, this recipe is both delicious and visually appealing.
If you’re looking for a healthy, easy-to-make meal that’s packed with flavor, then you’ve come to the right place. This recipe is perfect for those who want to try something new and exciting in the kitchen. Whether you’re cooking for yourself or feeding a crowd, this dish is sure to be a hit.
So, what are you waiting for? Let’s dive into the ingredients and learn how to make this mouth-watering calypso rice and beans recipe!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you tired of the same old rice and beans recipe that you keep making over and over again? Well, say hello to the Calypso Rice and Beans recipe! This recipe is an island-inspired twist on the classic rice and beans dish that will take your taste buds on a tropical journey.
One of the reasons why you’ll love this recipe is because of its unique blend of spices. The combination of ground coriander, cumin, and black pepper gives the dish a warm and earthy flavor that will leave you wanting more. The addition of fresh cilantro adds a pop of freshness to the dish, making it the perfect complement to any meal.
Another reason why you’ll love this recipe is because of its versatility. You can make it as a side dish for a family dinner or as a main course for a vegetarian or vegan meal. The dish is also gluten-free and can easily be made dairy-free if you use coconut milk instead of water.
But what really sets this recipe apart is the addition of pineapple. The sweetness of the pineapple perfectly balances out the spices and adds a tropical twist to the dish. The pineapple also gives the dish a burst of color, making it a beautiful addition to any table.
Overall, the Calypso Rice and Beans recipe is a delicious, healthy, and easy-to-make dish that will spice up your dinner routine. So, what are you waiting for? Whip up this island-inspired dish and take your taste buds on a vacation!
Before we proceed with the recipe, let’s gather all the ingredients we need. The Calypso Rice and Beans Recipe calls for a delightful blend of spices, vegetables, and beans that will surely satisfy your taste buds. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 can Black beans
- 1 can Red kidney beans
- 1 can Black Calypso beans
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup Fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
Optional Ingredients for Pineapple Salsa:
- 1 cup Pineapple, diced
- 1/4 cup Red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup Red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup Fresh pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup Fresh basil, chopped
This recipe serves 6-8 people and takes about 45 minutes to make. Make sure to have all the ingredients ready before starting the cooking process.
The Recipe How-To
Now it’s time to dive into the exciting part – cooking the Calypso Rice and Beans recipe! Follow these easy steps to create a delicious and healthy meal that will transport you to the Caribbean.
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 1 can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 can of red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 cups of water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pineapple, diced (reserve the juice for later use)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and cook until it becomes translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the diced yellow and red bell peppers, and cook until they become tender.
- Add the rinsed and drained black beans and red kidney beans, and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the basmati rice and stir to coat it with the vegetable mixture.
- Add the water, bay leaves, ground cumin, ground coriander, black pepper, and chopped fresh cilantro to the skillet. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the skillet with a lid. Cook for about 20 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.
- While the rice is cooking, make the pineapple salsa by combining the diced pineapple, reserved pineapple juice, and chopped fresh cilantro in a bowl. Mix well.
- When the rice is ready, remove the bay leaves and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Serve the Calypso Rice and Beans hot, topped with the pineapple salsa.
Tips and Recommendations:
- For a spicier version of this recipe, add some diced jalapeño peppers when cooking the bell peppers.
- Use a can of black Calypso beans instead of regular black beans for a more flavorful twist.
- This recipe can also be made with brown rice or long-grain rice instead of basmati rice.
- If you prefer a more creamy and indulgent version of Calypso Rice and Beans, add some coconut milk to the skillet along with the water.
- Leftover Calypso Rice and Beans can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Simply reheat it in the microwave or on the
Substitutions and Variations
One of the best things about cooking is making a recipe your own by adding your own personal touch. With this Calypso Rice and Beans recipe, there are endless possibilities for substitutions and variations to make it even more delicious and tailored to your taste buds.
If you’re looking for a vegan or vegetarian version, simply omit the meat and swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth. You can also add in some sliced mushrooms, tofu, or tempeh to give it some extra protein and texture.
For a gluten-free version, swap the basmati rice for brown rice or jasmine rice, which are both gluten-free. You can also use quinoa instead of rice for a grain-free option.
If you’re looking to add some more veggies to your dish, try adding some diced zucchini, squash, or eggplant to the mix. You can also swap the yellow and red bell peppers for any other color of pepper, or add in some jalapeños for a spicy kick.
If you want to switch up the beans in this recipe, try using kidney beans, pinto beans, or white beans instead of black beans. You can also use a combination of different beans for added flavor and texture.
If you’re feeling adventurous and want to take this recipe to the next level, try adding some coconut milk to the mix for a Caribbean twist. You can also top it off with a pineapple basil salsa for a burst of freshness and flavor.
Overall, this recipe is extremely versatile and can be customized to fit your taste preferences and dietary needs. Don’t be afraid to experiment and make it your own!
Serving and Pairing
This Calypso Rice and Beans recipe is a satisfying and hearty dish that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with other sides. It’s perfect for a family dinner or a potluck party.
When it comes to serving, I like to sprinkle some fresh cilantro on top of the rice and beans for a pop of color and flavor. You can also add some diced pineapple or a dollop of pineapple salsa for a sweet and tangy twist.
For a complete meal, I recommend pairing this dish with some grilled chicken or fish, or even some spicy sausage. The smoky and savory flavors of these meats complement the beans and rice perfectly.
Vegetarians and vegans can enjoy this dish as a main course, but it also makes a great side dish for grilled vegetables, roasted sweet potatoes, or a fresh green salad.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try adding some coconut milk or Jamaican spices to the recipe for a Caribbean twist. This Calypso Rice and Beans recipe is versatile and can be customized to your liking.
No matter how you choose to serve it, this dish is sure to please and satisfy your hunger. So, grab a fork and dig in!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This recipe for Calypso Rice and Beans is perfect for meal prep and leftovers. Here’s how to make it ahead and store it properly for later.
To make ahead: Cook the rice and beans, then store them separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to eat, simply reheat them in the microwave or on the stovetop, and combine them with the reserved pineapple salsa.
To store leftovers: Store any leftover rice and beans in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat them in the microwave or on the stovetop, adding a splash of water if needed to prevent them from drying out.
To freeze: Portion out the rice and beans into individual containers and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
To reheat: Warm the rice and beans in the microwave or on the stovetop, and add a splash of water or coconut milk to keep them moist. Top with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice before serving.
Whether you’re meal prepping for the week or saving leftovers, this Calypso Rice and Beans recipe is a tasty and convenient option for a quick and easy meal.
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure that your Calypso Rice and Beans Recipe turns out perfect, here are some helpful tips to keep in mind:
1. Use fresh ingredients – the flavors and aromas of fresh cilantro, garlic cloves, and bell peppers will make a huge difference in the final dish. Avoid using canned beans if possible and opt for freshly cooked black calypso beans instead.
2. Rinse the rice before cooking – this will remove any excess starch and prevent the rice from becoming too sticky.
3. Don’t skip the bay leaves – these leaves add a subtle but important flavor to the dish. Remember to remove them before serving.
4. Don’t overcook the rice – the key to fluffy and perfectly cooked rice is to not overcook it. Follow the instructions carefully and avoid lifting the lid while the rice is cooking.
5. Add pineapple for a tropical twist – this recipe is already inspired by the flavors of the Caribbean, but adding some fresh pineapple chunks to the dish will take it to the next level.
6. Adjust the spice level to your liking – if you prefer a spicier dish, increase the amount of ground cumin and coriander. Or, if you don’t like spice at all, you can omit them altogether.
7. Let the rice sit before serving – once the rice is cooked, let it sit for a few minutes before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld together and make the rice even more delicious.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create a delicious and flavorful Calypso Rice and Beans Recipe that is sure to impress your friends and family.
Now that you know how to make Calypso Rice and Beans, you may have some questions about the recipe. In this FAQ section, I’ll answer some of the most common questions I get asked about this dish. So, let’s dive in!
What are calypso beans good for?
Calypso beans are versatile legumes that can be used in a variety of dishes, including soups, casseroles, and rice dishes. When purchasing Calypso beans, look for bagged selections that come in resealable poly bags for easy storage and freshness. Keep in mind that these beans will maintain their quality for up to a year if stored in a cool, dry place. So go ahead and stock up!
What is it called when you mix beans and rice?
Casamiento, a traditional Salvadoran dish, is a delicious medley of rice and beans that can be enjoyed with virtually any main course. This easy-to-make meal is perfect for any occasion and can be customized to fit your personal taste preferences.
What are black calypso beans?
Belonging to the legume family, Black Calypso Beans are a type of plant species that are highly valued for their edible seeds and pods. These beans are known for their exceptional nutritional value, as they are rich in protein, fiber and essential minerals, while keeping the fat content low. They are easy to grow and store, making them a great addition to any healthy diet.
Are black beans and rice heart healthy?
Beans come in a variety of vibrant colors, including black, red kidney, pinto, and black-eyed peas. These colorful legumes are not only visually appealing but also loaded with antioxidants. These antioxidants help shield our cells from damage that may contribute to the development of diseases such as heart disease, cancer, and other chronic conditions.
In conclusion, I believe that this Calypso Rice and Beans recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves flavorful and hearty meals. With its blend of spices and herbs, fresh vegetables, and tender beans, it’s a dish that will satisfy your taste buds and nourish your body. This recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner or a weekend gathering, as it’s easy to make and can be customized to your liking.
So go ahead and give this recipe a try! Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a beginner, I’m confident that you’ll find this dish to be a hit. And don’t forget to experiment with different variations and substitutions to make it your own. With its versatility and deliciousness, the Calypso Rice and Beans recipe is sure to become a staple in your kitchen.
Calypso Rice and Beans Recipe
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, seeded, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, uncooked
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cups diced pineapple
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Sort and wash beans and place in a medium saucepan. Cover with water to 2-inches above beans; bring to a full boil, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain beans, and return to pan.Cover beans with 2-inches of water. Bring beans to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Drain beans, and set aside.
- For the rice:
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion , celery, jalapeno, salt, garlic, and bay leaves; saute 4 minutes. Add rice; cook 1 minute. Add 3 1/2 cups water, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Add beans; cover, and simmer 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves.
- Stir in the bell peppers,black pepper, cumin, coriander, and cook 6 minutes. Stir in pineapple and cilantro; cook 2 minutes.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.