Welcome to my black-eyed peas with rice recipe. This soulful classic is a staple in Southern and Caribbean cuisine, and for good reason. Black-eyed peas are packed with nutrients and flavor, making them a versatile ingredient in many dishes. When paired with rice, they create a hearty and satisfying meal that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a comforting dinner on a cold night, a dish to bring to a potluck, or a festive meal for New Year’s Eve, this recipe is sure to please.
As a chef, I have spent years perfecting this recipe, and I’m excited to share it with you. This recipe is easy to follow and can be customized to your liking. Whether you prefer a spicy kick or a milder flavor, this recipe can be adjusted to meet your taste preferences.
So, grab your ingredients and let’s get started on creating a delicious black-eyed peas with rice recipe that you’ll keep coming back to time and time again.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you in search of a hearty, flavorful, and soul-warming meal? Look no further than this Black Eyed Peas with Rice recipe! This dish is perfect for any occasion, whether you’re cooking for a crowd or just for yourself.
One of the reasons you’ll love this recipe is its simplicity. With just a few ingredients and easy-to-follow steps, even novice cooks can create a delicious and satisfying meal. The combination of black-eyed peas, rice, and flavorful seasonings make for a dish that’s both comforting and filling.
Another reason to love this recipe is its versatility. You can easily customize it by adding your favorite meats or vegetables, making it a great dish for any dietary preference. Whether you’re a meat lover or a vegan, this recipe can be adapted to suit your needs.
And let’s not forget about the amazing flavors. The black-eyed peas are simmered in a rich and flavorful tomato sauce, while the rice is cooked to perfection with aromatic spices like garlic, onion, and bay leaves. The result is a dish that’s both savory and satisfying.
Finally, this recipe is perfect for meal prep. You can easily make a big batch and enjoy it throughout the week for lunch or dinner. It also freezes well, so you can make a big pot and save some for later.
In summary, this Black Eyed Peas with Rice recipe is simple, versatile, flavorful, and perfect for meal prep. Give it a try and you’ll see why it’s a crowd-pleaser and a personal favorite.
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s go over the ingredients you’ll need to make this delicious black-eyed peas with rice recipe. These ingredients can be found at any grocery store and are easy to work with.
Here’s what you’ll need:
2 cups of cooked rice
1 can of black-eyed peas (15 oz)
1 can of stewed tomatoes (14.5 oz)
1 large white onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
2 cups of vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of black pepper
½ teaspoon of garlic powder
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
Salsa (optional, for serving)
Make sure to have all these ingredients on hand before you start cooking.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have our ingredients ready, let’s start cooking this Black Eyed Peas w/ Rice Recipe!
Step 1: Sauté the Aromatics
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 chopped white onion, 1 chopped green bell pepper, and 3 minced garlic cloves.
- Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is translucent and the vegetables start to soften.
Step 2: Add the Black Eyed Peas and Rice
- To the same saucepan, add 2 cups of cooked rice, 2 cups of canned black-eyed peas, 1 can of stewed tomatoes, and 2 bay leaves.
- Stir everything together, and add 3 cups of vegetable stock.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
Step 3: Cook the Rice and Peas
- Cover the pot with a lid and let it cook for about 30 minutes.
- Make sure to stir occasionally to prevent the rice and peas from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- After 30 minutes, remove the bay leaves and taste the rice and peas. Add salt, black pepper, and garlic powder to your taste.
Step 4: Serve and Enjoy!
- Serve the Black Eyed Peas w/ Rice hot, garnished with chopped fresh onion, salsa, and cooked bacon.
- This dish is perfect for a cozy night in, a potluck with friends, or as a side dish for your favorite protein.
Now that you know how to make this delicious and easy Black Eyed Peas w/ Rice Recipe, it’s time to get cooking!
Substitutions and Variations
Looking to switch things up with your black-eyed peas and rice recipe? Here are some substitutions and variations you can try to add some variety to your meal.
– Meat options: While this recipe calls for bacon, you can switch it out for chicken, sausage, vegan alternatives or even ham hock for a more traditional Hoppin’ John recipe.
– Spicy twist: Want to add some heat to your black-eyed peas and rice? Try adding some diced jalapenos or a splash of hot sauce when cooking.
– Coconut milk: For a creamier and slightly sweet version of this recipe, try adding some coconut milk to the pot during cooking.
– Fried rice: Turn your black-eyed peas and rice into a fried rice dish by using leftover rice from a previous meal and frying it up with the black-eyed peas and any other vegetables you have on hand.
– Salsa: Add some extra flavor to your black-eyed peas and rice by spooning some salsa on top before serving.
No matter which variation you choose, there are plenty of ways to make this dish your own and experiment with different flavors and ingredients. Don’t be afraid to get creative and try something new!
Serving and Pairing
Black Eyed Peas with Rice is a hearty and flavorful dish that is perfect for any occasion. This classic Southern recipe can be served with a variety of sides and toppings to create a well-rounded meal. Here are some serving and pairing suggestions to make your meal even more delicious:
– Serve with Cornbread: Cornbread is the perfect complement to black-eyed peas and rice. Its sweet and savory flavor pairs well with the spiciness of the dish, and its texture is great for sopping up any leftover sauce.
– Top with Salsa: A dollop of salsa adds a tangy and refreshing flavor to the dish. You can use store-bought salsa or make your own using fresh tomatoes, onions, and peppers.
– Pair with Fried Chicken: Black Eyed Peas with Rice is a classic Southern dish that pairs well with fried chicken. The crispy exterior of the chicken provides a nice contrast to the soft texture of the peas and rice.
– Add a Side Salad: A side salad is a refreshing and healthy addition to any meal. A simple salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, and cucumbers dressed with a lemon vinaigrette would be a great complement to the dish.
– Serve with Coconut Milk: For a Caribbean twist on this classic dish, substitute the vegetable stock with coconut milk. The creamy and slightly sweet flavor of the coconut milk pairs well with the spiciness of the dish, and the aroma is out of this world.
– Top with Crispy Bacon: Crispy bacon adds a smoky and salty flavor to the dish. You can either cook the bacon separately and crumble it on top, or cook it with the onions and peppers for a one-pot meal.
Overall, Black Eyed Peas with Rice is a versatile dish that can be served with a variety of sides and toppings to create a well-rounded meal. Whether you prefer it spicy, tangy, or sweet, there is a pairing or topping that will complement the flavors of this delicious recipe.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This Black Eyed Peas with Rice recipe is perfect for meal prepping and can be made ahead of time. Cook the rice and black-eyed peas separately and store them in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. When you’re ready to serve, simply reheat the rice and peas in the microwave or on the stovetop.
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the leftovers for up to 3 months. To reheat, defrost the leftovers in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat them in the microwave or on the stovetop.
To add some freshness to the leftovers, you can serve them with a dollop of salsa or a squeeze of lime. You can also add some cooked chicken or sausage to the leftovers to make a more filling meal.
This recipe is also versatile and can be adjusted to suit your dietary preferences. If you’re vegan, you can omit the bacon and ham hock and use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. If you’re looking for a spicier version, you can add some diced jalapeno peppers to the recipe.
Overall, this Black Eyed Peas with Rice recipe is a perfect make-ahead meal that you can enjoy throughout the week. It’s easy to store and reheat, and it’s versatile enough to suit a variety of dietary preferences.
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve the perfect Black Eyed Peas W/Rice recipe, here are some tips that you can follow:
1. Use fresh ingredients: Fresh onion, garlic, and bell pepper will give your recipe a more vibrant flavor. Make sure to chop them finely and uniformly so that they cook evenly.
2. Season well: Seasoning is key to any dish, and this recipe is no exception. Don’t be afraid to use generous amounts of salt, black pepper, and garlic powder to enhance the flavors.
3. Cook the rice separately: It’s important to cook the rice separately from the black-eyed peas to avoid overcooking the peas. This will also prevent the rice from getting mushy.
4. Use vegetable stock: Vegetable stock or chicken stock can be used to add more flavor to the dish. If you’re making a vegan version, use vegetable stock.
5. Let the flavors meld: After cooking, let the dish sit for a few minutes to allow the flavors to meld together. This will give you a more delicious and cohesive dish.
6. Add salsa: For an added kick of flavor, try adding a spoonful of salsa to the dish. This will give it a slightly tangy flavor that complements the black-eyed peas and rice.
7. Try different variations: Black-eyed peas and rice are a versatile dish that can be customized to your liking. Try adding bacon or sausage for a meatier version, or coconut milk for a vegan twist.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to achieve a delicious Black Eyed Peas W/Rice recipe that everyone will love.
Now that you have all the details on how to prepare this delicious black-eyed peas with rice recipe, you may have some questions in mind. This section will provide answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this recipe to help you achieve the best results possible. Let’s dive in!
Can you make black-eyed peas and rice?
Alright, let’s get cooking! First, we’re going to add some flavorful ingredients to our pot. Drop in some black-eyed peas, water, bay leaves, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Then, cover the pot with a lid and let it simmer away until the peas are nice and tender. This should take around 40 to 50 minutes.
Once the peas are cooked to perfection, it’s time to remove those bay leaves and add in some rice. Give the mixture a good stir and let it simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes until all the liquid has evaporated. This will allow the rice to absorb all of the delicious flavors from the black-eyed peas mixture. Trust me, your taste buds will thank you for this one!
What food goes well with black-eyed peas?
I have provided a list of some of my favorite Southern-style dishes for you to turn into a recipe article. These dishes range from spicy collard greens with bacon to hoppin’ John risotto. Each dish has its own unique flavor and cooking method that I will explain in detail, so you can recreate them in your own kitchen.
How do you make black-eyed peas taste better?
To take the flavor of this black-eyed peas recipe up a notch, we’ll need some bacon and smoked sausage. These ingredients add a smoky and meaty taste that you won’t be able to resist. If you have any leftover smoked turkey or ham, feel free to add that in as well. To enhance the aroma and taste, we’ll also be using caramelized onions and garlic as our aromatics.
Why do you rinse canned black eyed peas?
When it comes to recipes with black-eyed peas, canned ones are a great option for dishes that don’t require a lengthy cooking process. Slow cooking or prolonged boiling can cause them to turn mushy, so canned black-eyed peas are a better choice. To prepare canned black-eyed peas, give them a good rinse in a colander to get rid of any liquid from the can and any excess salt.
In conclusion, this black-eyed peas with rice recipe is a must-try for anyone looking for a delicious and hearty meal that is easy to make. Whether you are looking for a vegan or meat-based option, this recipe is versatile enough to accommodate any dietary preference. With its blend of spices and ingredients, this dish is perfect for a family dinner or a festive occasion like New Year’s Eve.
So go ahead and give this recipe a try. You won’t be disappointed! And don’t forget to experiment with different variations and substitutions to make it your own. Whether you add chicken, sausage, or ham hocks, or try a different type of rice or beans, the possibilities are endless.
In the end, this black-eyed peas with rice recipe is not just a meal, but a celebration of flavors and cultures. It’s a dish that brings people together and warms the heart, making it the perfect addition to any table. So why not give it a try and see for yourself why it’s a classic dish that has stood the test of time?
Black Eyed Peas W/Rice Recipe
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 small fresh onion (chopped)
- 1 (16 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (undrained and chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup salsa (any mild or medium is what I use but hot will due if you like your food hotter)
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon & set aside.
- Saute onion in drippings until tender. Drain the onion & discard the drippings. Return the onion to skillet. Add drained peas & last 7 ingredients.
- Cover & cook over low heat 8 to 10 minutes. Put into serving dish & sprinkle crumbled bacon over top.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Lucy is a mom who loves to cook up a storm. She enjoys discovering, collecting, and experimenting with delicious, healthy recipes for her blog. With her passion for cooking, Lucy is always coming up with her own unique creations to share with the world.